AA - Upgraded to silver membership - but at a cost

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been with AA for breakdown cover for less then a year, in that time I've never called them out.

Recently I received a letter from them congratulating me that since i've been a member for a while I've now been upgraded to their silver membership... oh and by the way we've had to increase your monthly payments from £23 to £44 !!

I did not ask to be added to their silver membership and I dont recall having any kind of notice that it was going to happen or being given the option to opt out. I've yet to sit down for 2 days and read the terms and conditions from when i signed up... but it sounds like i was on some sort of new customer price yet i don't recall any thing that made me aware of that when started the cover.

The letters I've received imply that this is some kind of reward for my loyalty, and of course i should be grateful for being charged double what i was paying for some extra benefits that ill never use... :|

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and whether there's anything that says they shouldn't be able to do this.

Regards

Mark

We had the same with my fathers membership a few years ago. He is in his eighties and doesn't go far. When i rang the AA to see what was their best real price they explained that 17 year olds in the house (which was 0) were covered by it and also my father would be covered while driving abroad. I can't remember the last time he saw the by-pass so abroad is also a non runner. I explained he never wanted silver membership and if that was their best price we're off and the price came down £20. Loyalty to companies doesn't pay nowadays.

AA have always done this type of thing. They need to convert enough people to a higher membership level, as the basic level is not economic for them to be profitable.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Mark,

You are not alone. This is the trick they do with everyone I understand based on my experience and others reply here.

Year 1 - They sell product through cashback sites to get customers.

Year 2 - Renewal with a little price increase.

Year 3 - You get the letter stating silver blah blah blah... On the reverse of the letter is the cost details.

I rang them straightaway and said don't want to continue with the membership as I had no call out in two years of membership and the increase of price in unfair. At this stage they negotiated and brought down the price to same what I paid on year 2.

In a nutshell it is going to take a call for you to sort it out. If that doesn't work out explore other providers.

Cheers,

Gnans.

I've been with the AA since April 57. Expensive but very good and reliable. I've got a few freebies added now.

I expect I've paid for their HQ.

I would recommend them but I'd also say you don't want to pay for a Silver membership.

I pay monthly for two of us.

since 57 then they use to give free membership after 30+ years as did the RAC but of course insurance companies etc own them now, also somebody mention go green flag, yep do so but after the year ring them as they more than double renewal price and state you will leave them they then revert back to original price i.e. £70 say then renewal is £155. they do and have tried it with me for years

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I am with Green Flag, have been for awhile but never have the doubled the price, think most break down companies hike up their prices every year.

I would never go back to RAC or the AA,

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I am with Green Flag, have been for awhile but never have the doubled the price, think most break down companies hike up their prices every year.

I would never go back to RAC or the AA,

They have with me and I have been with them on many occasions and What I stated was true renewal every time twice the price until I questioned them one even tried to insist new price so I quoted the detail in front of me on the screen of the original price their site quoted 1 minute ago, original priced was then accepted,

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: