Council Taking on line payments for old Bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today had a letter from my council cancelling my right to pay my Council Tax. In installments.

I have been paying this on line for the last 4 months for this year on a regular basis. My last payment was paid on Monday this week.

When I received the letter I phoned my Council who informed me all my on line payments have been taken off an old Debt which is also being taken via my ESA.

They say I have to pay again as the money I have paid has gone off my old debt.

My question is, Is this correct and can they do this.? I spoke to someone back in April who assured me this would not happen again, Obviously, it has.

In respect of the monies which were being paid online - under what circumstances where they being paid, where you paying the same amount as shown on the demand notice and paying for the correct dates or where you paying odd amounts at different dates ?

Craig

I have today had a letter from my council cancelling my right to pay my Council Tax. In installments.

I have been paying this on line for the last 4 months for this year on a regular basis. My last payment was paid on Monday this week.

When I received the letter I phoned my Council who informed me all my on line payments have been taken off an old Debt which is also being taken via my ESA.

My question is, Is this correct and can they do this.? I spoke to someone back in April who assured me this would not happen again, Obviously, it has.

Was the earlier debt under a liability order?

You say this was being taken via your ESA, so is this under enforcement(attachment to benefits)?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

The council do not have to offer monthly instalments. The fact that they do is for ease but that's over and beyond what they legally have to do.

I dont understand why you think you have to "pay again"

Your paying your debt to the council from past year or years where you used all the services that the council had to do and not paid for.

Its called catching up with older debt and staying current on the year your in

The council do not have to offer monthly instalments. The fact that they do is for ease but that's over and beyond what they legally have to do.

I dont understand why you think you have to "pay again"

Your paying your debt to the council from past year or years where you used all the services that the council had to do and not paid for.

Its called catching up with older debt and staying current on the year your in

The person who started this thread said she/he was paying the older CT via her ESA and this years via the council web portal

If the earlier debt is the result of an enforcement, extra payments may not be added to it.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Payments are applied to debt 1st.

So online payments just reduce the debt that the payments via ESA go to.

There is a maximum that can be deducted from esa.

So you dont "pay again" as the op suggests.. Your catching up quicker

Payments are applied to debt 1st.

So online payments just reduce the debt that the payments via ESA go to.

There is a maximum that can be deducted from esa.

So you don't "pay again" as the op suggests. Your catching up quicker

No of course not. But the amount taken from a debt under enforcement is calculated, in order to leave the debtor with enough to live on(or o they say). This is a statutory process, you cannot add to the amount taken off that debt and sidestep that process.

If the earlier debt is not under enforcement, the debtor may agree to pay out of his benefit of course.

We need more imfo from, the debtor.

If the monies are being paid in the correct manner (date, reference number and amount) as shown on an ongoing demand notice the payments should be allocated to that amount as it's easily identifiable - the council have no excuse for not allocating the payments correctly. They have no powers to prevent a person from paying an ongoing council tax charge and potentially force a liability order on the amount due to their actions - if it wasn't clear where the payments were for, and the OP hadn't identified what they were for, then it would be a different matter. Unless the right to instalments is lost then the council have no option but to apply an instalment plan as per legislation.

The OP needs to contact the local authority and ask why the monies are being allocated incorrectly - if the payments are easily identifiable then it's certainly a case where a formal complaint followed, potentially by a LGO complaint, would be the way to go.

The deductions from ESA are certainly on a balance subject to a liability order otherwise an attachment of benefit order could not be issued - it cannot be done on a voluntary basis (unless the council have a liability order and you ask them nicely if they would use that method of recovery)

Craig

Yes, and if the older account was on a functioning attachment the authority should not be allocating additional payments to it.which is why i asked the question.