style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

Hoping this is in the correct place and someone can point me in the right direction.

Some months ago my mum filed for bankruptcy and my dad received a letter saying that they're going to repossess the house as it is a joint mortgage. He has until 3rd August to reply.

My dad is disabled, we've had the house adapted for him, rails, a lift installed from the living room to his bedroom, and him leaving the house is going to destroy him.

If I had the money I would buy her out. But I haven't. Is there anything we can do? Any suggestions on who to talk to?

why does she think bk is necessary please?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Some background information would help.

Are they still living together ? Or are they separated or divorced ?

What debts did she have that caused need for bankruptcy ?

Do they have any other joint debts or is it just a joint mortgage ?

Who is paying the mortgage ?

Has the bankruptcy already gone through and the person appointed on behalf of creditors is now looking to sell her assets such as the house ?

Your Dad is not going to receive much helpful advice, unless he shares more information with someone who deals with such legal issues.

Suggest that urgent action is taken to get hold of all information about the current situation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry for the lack of information.

Mother and father have been separated for 5 years, the bankruptcy was agreed 3 years ago.

There was a letter sent in December 2016 that my father didn't respond to or tell us about, fundamentally because he wasn't well.

My father is paying the mortgage and has been for 3 years.

What court applications are currently going through in regard to the trustee in Bankruptcy forcing the sale of the house ?

What was the date of bankruptcy ?

Your father really needs to see a Solicitors.

If he has any legal cover such as on Home Insurance he should check whether it can offer any help in regard to costs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It say she possession order on the letter?

10/10/14 was the date of the bankruptcy.

I know he does, as we saw the letter yesterday I thought I'd come on here to query.

I'll review his home insurance and see if he has any legal cover.

Thank you

Who was the letter from ?

The date of 3rd August for response, is that related to a court application already made or they intend to apply to the court for a possession order ?

In regard to your Fathers disability is this just physical or are there issues such as mental health or other conditions that make him vulnerable i.e he can't make decisions, might not understand.

What is the position in regard to the mortage ? Presumably still in joint names, no arrears and your Father took over sole responsibility for paying 3 years ago, when your Mother could not pay.

Has there been any legal attempt to divorce or come to a financial settlement between your Mother and Father ?

No legal attempt no. Mum said she was going bankrupt and was told nothing would happen with the house, but nothing in writing.

Still in joint names but no arrears, dad's been paying it.

Dad is physically disabled by the fact he cannot function physically on his own, struggles to walk, cannot walk long distances etc.

Mental capacity would need to be addressed but without care from family he would not be able to function.

Appears you are in possession of little information.

Given the urgency, i think your Father needs local legal help.

A local Solicitor should be able to assist and given consequences, i don't think he has much choice.

The house might well be taken possession over before October 2017,

because i believe the trustee acting for creditors has 3 years from the bankruptcy date to get their hands on any assets.

I don't think it matters much that your Father is a joint owner.

Creditors will want 50% of the equity owned by your Mother.

Your Father would then be paid any equity due to him after the sale of the house.

This is my understanding from reading about this previously, but i am no expert.

Qualified legal advice essential.

Hi Tiny1983

You say the Bankruptcy date was 10/10/2014

1. Was the Mortgage Company listed as a Creditor in the Bankruptcy?

2. Are they Discharged from Bankruptcy and if so when? (if unsure they need to ask the trustee dealing with there Bankruptcy).

3. Who exactly is going for repossession? (trustee in bankruptcy, mortgage company)

4. Exactly what was the letter in December 2016 about and who was it from? (trustee in bankruptcy, mortgage provider etc)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

You cant list a secured mortgage in Bankruptcy.

How do I pay my mortgage if I am Bankrupt?

Because your mortgage is a secured debt it is not included in Bankruptcy. This means that you will have to keep paying your mortgage payments each month. If you do not then your house will be at risk of being repossessed.

They way you keep up your mortgage payments is that they are included in your list of allowed living expenses. You will always be able to use your income to make these payments before you have to pay anything towards your debts.

In this sense this solution will actually make it easier for you to pay your mortgage as you no longer have to feel under any pressure to use your mortgage money to pay your other unsecured debts.

Will my house be at risk after I go Bankrupt?

One of the main concerns about Bankruptcy is that it could result in you having to sell your property. The fact is however that this will not automatically be the case. The question of what happens to your house very much depends on the amount of equity if any that there is in it.

If you know that there is little or no equity or negative equity then it is very unlikely that you will have to sell and you will be able to keep your home. However you must make sure that you keep paying your mortgage. This will be your responsibility out of your allowable living expenses budget.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread