Audi warranty £2k+

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a 12 mth warranty for over £2k from Audi 11 months ago.

It was an expensive warranty but it had no excess and covered everything except service items such as tyres and brake pads etc..

I should say that I have had good experience with this same warranty product in the past; with a prior car purchase.

The price also reflected the age and mileage of my vehicle.

They quote newer, low mileage cars more cheaply than older, higher mileage cars...

now 11 months down the line (I have met all the conditions of the policy on my side)

I make a claim for a leaking rocker cover gasket on the engine, leaking drive shaft seals and a leaking water pump.

All parts are expressly covered by the policy.

the claim is rejected apparently because "wear and tear is the cause of failure".

they knew the age and miles on my car and they quoted accordingly.

If age and mileage was not a factor, (more wear and more tear) then why vary the price of their policies according to age and mileage?

They knew and accepted the age and mileage of my vehicle when they sold me the policy and they priced it accordingly.

In theory, no part would fail without use (wear and tear); then effectively no parts are covered by this policy?

I have entered a formal complaint which they state they will respond within 5 days.

I have insisted they fund the repairs but I am also agreeable for them to fully refund the £2k+ I paid for the policy.

I await their reply.

I expect to have to make a small claim.

Great if anyone can paste a link to a similar case where there was a successful outcome in the small claims court.

When reading the "who provides your policy" page of the policy document, they list as many legal entities as possible.

Presumably to make it as confusing as possible?

But I assume it would be Lawshield (UK) Limited who I have my contract with:

Audi Financial Services is a trading name of Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited, registered in England number: 2835230

(registered office: Brunswick Court, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR).

Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Audi Extended Warranty Cover from Audi Financial Services is sold and administered by Lawshield (UK) Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Audi Extended Warranty Cover is underwritten by Volkswagen Versicherung AG, acting through its French branch registered in Pontoise number: 529212912

(registered office: 15 Avenue de la Demi Lune, Batiment Ellipse, 95700, Roissy en France).

Volkswagen Versicherung AG is authorised and regulated by the German Finance Authority (Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht, located at Graurheindorfer Str. 108, 53117 Bonn, Germany) and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority in respect of underwriting insurance business in the UK (register number: 621892).

Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited and Volkswagen Versicherung Aktiengesellschaft are part of the same corporate group. Lawshield (UK) Limited are not part of the same corporate group.

Audi Financial Services is a trading name of Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited, registered in England number: 2835230 (registered office: Brunswick Court,Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR).

Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Audi Extended Warranty Cover from Audi Financial Services is sold and administered by Lawshield (UK) Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Audi Extended Warranty Cover is underwritten by Volkswagen Versicherung AG, acting through its French branch registered in Pontoise number: 529212912 (registered office: 15 Avenue de la Demi Lune, Batiment Ellipse, 95700, Roissy en France).

Volkswagen Versicherung AG is authorised and regulated by the German Finance Authority (Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht, located at raurheindorfer

Str. 108, 53117 Bonn, Germany) and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority in respect of underwriting

insurance business in the UK (register number: 621892).

Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited and Volkswagen Versicherung Aktiengesellschaft are part of the same corporate group. Lawshield (UK) Limited are not part of the same corporate group.

I have written a letter of complaint. The policy states they will confirm receipt of my complaint within 5 days. But no such confirmation or acknowledgement has been received. I reasonably conclude they do not wish to deal with my complaint. Hence I will need to do a LBA. What statutes or parts of the law are relevant here?

This is very odd of Audi's behaviour however you need to be quite clear on the terms of the warranty. Many extended warranties are not warranties but are insurance policies against mechanical failure and have explicit terms.

Many manufacturers extended warranties will tie you in to having the vehicle serviced at a main dealer, unlike the original warranty where you were free to get the car serviced anywhere provided parts used were of equivalent OEM standard. Once outside of this original manufacturers warranty period the game changes.

Your post suggests that the car was not repaired by an approved dealer or service centre and that you have already paid for the repairs??

Had it been repaired by an approved dealer they are obliged to ask for prior authorisation so you wouldn't now be where you are.

Suggest you call VAG UK in Milton Keynes directly. If you call the customer service help line you get put through to another company in Yorkshire I think who are paid on how many complaints they can reject.

Given the diesel gate scandal at the moment VW group are rather "keen" at cutting costs so expect a bit of a battle.

The main thing is to look at the terms of the policy closely and if you haven't exactly complied then you're going to have a battle. Other site members who have had issues before with VAG I've suggested they e mail directly the CEO of VAG GMBH in Wolfsburg, Germany and that has saved some thousands of pounds in repair costs. Who this is now I can't remember as there seems to be changes coming and going all the time there as dieselgate gets bigger!!

Of interest, what Audi and how old as it might be known issues which could aid your case if put over in the right way. One thing you don't want to do with VAG is to steam in with threats of legal action as they currently have a massive legal team and the financial power to defend and from what I've heard so far they go for recovery of costs on failed cases.

A few wrong assumptions there...

I have met ALL of my obligations in relation to mileage and servicing at a franchised (main) dealer.

It was the franchised dealer who did all the diagnostics on the faults.

The dealer is very supportive but the warranty provider rejected the claim and so far, provide no reason.

I took the car to an approved dealer.

They are obliged to ask for prior authorisation but that authorisation was not granted.

So I am where I am now.

The car is a 2012 model A6.

I have not had the repairs carried out yet but I plan to do so and recover my costs.

You say that VAG may go for cost recovery (if they win). Is there any limit to the costs they could recover? Is their a cap? Reading the warranty document I think my VAG warranty is provided by a company called Lawshield (UK) Limited.

Hence I think my contract is not with VAG and I would not therefore be taking action against any entity who I do not have a contract with.

Party because it was 5 years old And also to protect me in the event of component failure situations like the one I describe here.

The £2k+ would have been money well spent if the warranty provider had met their contractual obligations to pay for the repairs.

The likelihood of a older or higher mileage car having a component failure is far higher than a newer, lower mileage car.

Consequently they price the warranty of older cars (and cars with higher miles) more expensively than that for newer cars.

These defects where not existing when I bought the car.

For example, it only in the last few weeks that it started loosing coolant.

The vehicle has been serviced by Audi main dealer since new and has interim inspections prior to these faults being identified.

These faults were confirmed by a franchised, Audi service centre since it's last inspection (which was only a few months prior).

This is quite interesting as I don't recognise the warranty provider as being the normal one for VAG

so can only presume it's an Audi dealer selling a sky high mileage A6 which VAG/Audi would not cover or that there is some history to it.

Audi dealers can sell cars outside of this so can one presume it was not an Audi approved sale?

None of this ties up with normal Audi/VAG procedures.

If the prior authorisation was rejected then presumably you authorised the repairs and as they are repairs I also presume you have paid for them?

This changes the nature of who and what you are trying to fight so can advise accordingly please?

I bought the warranty from Audi.co.uk web site for just over £2k.

See this page - https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/audi-insurance-warranties-and-service-plans/audi-warranties/extended-warranty.html

I have not had the repairs done yet (because the warranty provider is not authorising the repairs)

The cost of the warranty reflected the age and mileage of the vehicle. More miles, more risk hence higher price paid for warranty....

Full main dealer service history with additional inspections on this car (over and above the requirements).

Something not stacking up here.

Have looked at the link and you wouldn't think anything could go wrong.

Can you please give the exact mileage of the affected car at the time of complaint and which A6 it is?

This is important to gauge if you have grounds for complaint or indeed you have been miss sold the warranty.

Ah ha,

have now read the terms and conditions and I have to agree with Audi.

The oil leaks are only covered as a result of a failure of a part listed.

The questionable bit would be the water pump leak.

I need to read more and get further info from the OP as to if they (Audi) are on a sticky wicket!.

The key is the mileage.

We know the age of the car now.

I have attached my policy document. Since what is now on their web site may differ from the one that applied when I was sold my policy. I do not see any text that excludes oil leaks. In fact the following text is used showing that oil leaks are explicitly covered:

Components covered:

• Oil leaks: Seals and gaskets replaced to rectify the oil leaks on the components in this list of cover.

Note. I did not have the "named component cover" (which is less comprehensive). I had the "All component cover". Meaning all components are covered (not just the named ones)

The car had 92742 miles when the policy was sold to me. The policy allowed a maximum of 15,000 additional miles. So cover was valid up to 12 months or 107742 miles. The car had 106707 miles when the faults were diagnosed by Audi main dealer (inside 12 month period). Car is 3.0 TDI Quattro, Avant, 245 ps variant. I agree this does not stack up. I have had Audi Warranties in the past on other cars and they have been superb. Which is why I paid what I did for this policy. There were plenty of cheaper alternatives out there.

Thanks so far...

Audi_Extended_Warranty_Policy_2015_02_05.pdf

Edited by kele16v

I add that Audi do not reject the claim because these components are not covered by the policy. In fact they confirm the parts are covered by the policy. They reject the claim only because it is their view that the components failed due to wear and tear and the policy does not cover wear and tear. In other words, don't use the car and there will be no wear or tear and therefore no failure of components.. But I think the onus would be on them to prove the failure is wear and tear and not on me to prove it is not...

To be honest this policy covers nothing and is totally unsuitable for this age and mileage of car. It's almost impossible to claim! It's a nonsense. Audi should not have sold this to you in the first place given the age and mileage.

I strongly suggest you write to the CEO of VAG in Wolfsburg as suggested before. Whatever you do don't threaten legal action but just point out it's a miss sold policy. Unbelievable they allowed you to buy it.

This will then be fed back to VAG in Milton Keynes and should by pass the normal ******** customer relationship centre they have been employing.

• 2 months later...
To be honest this policy covers nothing and is totally unsuitable for this age and mileage of car. It's almost impossible to claim! It's a nonsense. Audi should not have sold this to you in the first place given the age and mileage.

I strongly suggest you write to the CEO of VAG in Wolfsburg as suggested before. Whatever you do don't threaten legal action but just point out it's a miss sold policy. Unbelievable they allowed you to buy it.

This will then be fed back to VAG in Milton Keynes and should by pass the normal ******** customer relationship centre they have been employing.

So if totally unsuitable for this age and millage of car ( I fully agree ), then the policy it is mis sold? Just as PPI was unsuitable and covers nothing. I have exhausted the letter to CEO routes....