Creditor re-registered the same expired default - Can they do this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I like to get as much help/guidance as I can as to where I stand legally on this issue.

My default date on a delinquent account was October 2010. In November 2016 I checked my credit file to confirm it had been removed post 6 year anniversary (It had). However when I checked my credit file again in June 2017, I discovered that the same default had been re-registered. The default date had suspiciously changed to September 2011!

I wrote a complaint letter to the creditor, and they basically stated that this was the correct default date, and that they could not find any evidence to support my claim that the default date was October 2010. I actually have a credit report, which supports my claim.

I raised this with the Financial Ombudsman, provided my supporting evidence. The creditor want to make me a small settlement offer, and basically informed the Ombudsman that they did not know why the default had been re-recorded. They will also removed the default, but say it will take 4-6 week!

Legally are they allowed to have re-registered my expired default? Are they breaking the law, such as the Data Protection Act? It seems plain wrong that they can do something like this.

Also, should it take 4-6 week to remove a default that should not have been re-registered in the first place?

Additional info: I've been repaying my debt over a number of years.

Any insight or advice is much appreciated! And thank you in advance.

Welcome to CAG... IF they are wanting to pay a settlement then its a view that they have committed an error.

Have you checked all 3 agencies?

It can take up to that long for it to be removed as if you use a free credit report like Noddle then it will update once every 30 days.

Whos the DCA? Id like to know.... This happened to me recently with Lowell - They then backed down and they gave me £50

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

No, they are not permitted to simply change the date of default after it has been removed from your credit file and then reregister it!

Was this the original creditor or a Debt Collection Agency?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D