Backstreet garage had car 3mts - not repairing. getting my money back?

bhamdriver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone!

we bought an Audi A6 auto in September 2016 with a known gearbox problem.

We found a gearbox on eBay (rare gbox code), and had it sent to us and fitted by our mechanic.

It wasn't right and was leaking,

the supplier took it back, repaired it, and sent it back out to us. It still wasn't right.

Eventually the supplier said to send him the car (To Essex, we're in Birmingham) and he'd fix it free of charge.

By this point we had paid him £1000 for the gearbox.

He then said the ECU was a problem and to send him £350 to have the ECU repaired.

He has now had the car since April 2017.

I've called countless times, and when I eventually do get hold of him,

he either says they're busy, or the latest one was that they've changed 3 gearboxes with no luck.

I managed to get someone from a nearby garage to go and check that our car is still there.

He said that it is, but that we should go get our car as it will just rot there.

He said we're not the first to threaten the guy with legal or police action,

and that no one has ever had any luck getting money out of this guy.

Apart from our mechanics' labour, we're out £1350 to this guy.

We obviously didn't know who we were dealing with initially.

We have bought many gearboxes and engines from eBay and from breakers, and never had any issues.

Paypal won't cover the money, as the transaction is over 180 days old.

And it wasn't paid for by credit card,

so I'm not sure what happens with indemnity.

Do any of you have any experience with something like this?

Is there any way of getting our money back?

Thank you.

It seems to me that your first priority is to get the car back.

Read our customer services guide – implement the advice there and then call them on the telephone. See what they have to say and tell them that you are coming round and give a time and date.

Go get the car. I suggest that you photograph it before you move it – exterior and interior.

Once you have the car back in your possession then in order to get your money you may have to bring a small claim in the County Court. On the basis of what you say, you stand a good chance of success. But see about getting the car back first. Then come here.

I'm assuming that they don't say that you owe them any money. Is that correct?

It seems to me that your first priority is to get the car back.

Read our customer services guide – implement the advice there and then call them on the telephone. See what they have to say and tell them that you are coming round and give a time and date.

Go get the car. I suggest that you photograph it before you move it – exterior and interior.

Once you have the car back in your possession then in order to get your money you may have to bring a small claim in the County Court. On the basis of what you say, you stand a good chance of success. But see about getting the car back first. Then come here.

I'm assuming that they don't say that you owe them any money. Is that correct?

Thank you for your reply. I have tried over and over to call them, but they aren't answering.

Looks like we have to go down, photograph the car, check it mechanically to make sure there are no other faults, and take it.

How feasible is it though that a backstreet garage will even respond to any County Court summons?