Missed flight check-in due to health

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2442 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

So in a desperate situation here with no idea if I even have a case. Was due for a flight (honeymoon!) to Istanbul at 7:00am today to Istanbul. My partner has had a stomach bug so nipped to the loo, and so we were about 5 minutes late for check-in (tried to check bags in at 6:20 and were refused). Gate closes at 6:40 but they point blank wouldn't let us through. Customer service told us there's no way they can put us on the next flight (fully booked), nor can they put us on standby due to the same reason. The original tickets are non-refundable. They're charging us £290 per person to get onto the next flight, and needless to say, it hurts. Is there anything we can do? Surely this is extortion?

Thanks.

Hello there. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

I've moved your thread to the Holidays and Airlines forum and left a redirect to the new forum. People should be along later.

Do you have travel insurance?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi,

So in a desperate situation here with no idea if I even have a case. Was due for a flight (honeymoon!) to Istanbul at 7:00am today to Istanbul. My partner has had a stomach bug so nipped to the loo, and so we were about 5 minutes late for check-in (tried to check bags in at 6:20 and were refused). Gate closes at 6:40 but they point blank wouldn't let us through. Customer service told us there's no way they can put us on the next flight (fully booked), nor can they put us on standby due to the same reason. The original tickets are non-refundable. They're charging us £290 per person to get onto the next flight, and needless to say, it hurts. Is there anything we can do? Surely this is extortion?

Thanks.

The gate closed at 6.40. That's the point when no more passengers are permitted to board the aircraft. You say you presented yourself at 6.20 which suggests you were more likely trying to check in at least ten minutes after closure.

It is highly unlikely the bags would have been able to make it through the system and onto the aircraft even if they had allowed you to check in.

The airline/airport is not at fault here. You are, by way of ill health. Your best bet is to claim on your travel insurance.

The gate closed at 6.40. That's the point when no more passengers are permitted to board the aircraft. You say you presented yourself at 6.20 which suggests you were more likely trying to check in at least ten minutes after closure.

It is highly unlikely the bags would have been able to make it through the system and onto the aircraft even if they had allowed you to check in.

The airline/airport is not at fault here. You are, by way of ill health. Your best bet is to claim on your travel insurance.

Thank you - so we bit the bullet and paid for the new tickets, being told it would leave at 5:00pm and now finding out it actually leaves at 5:40pm on the boarding pass. British Airways is a joke.

Other airlines have the same approach. Bag drop times are pretty strict if you want to check-in your luggage. You can sometimes get a bit of leeway if you aren't checking bags in.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS