Personal Trainer certificate withheld until I pay debt from 2010 and they told me contractor (employer)!

kat87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

First all thanks for taking the time to read through this.

Around 2010 I was going through a difficult financial time

- floded with letters, aggressive baillifs and calls etc and had at least 10 big debts.

Luckily - with help from this forum also!

- I repaid everything and in the last 3 years lived a debt free life , or so I thought.

In 2010 I competed a personal training course and have since been employed with a gym.

The gym after 7 yesars of employment needs my personal training certificate (for bookkeeping) which I was not able to find and so they contacted the company where I completed the course.

The company responded to the gym (my contractor) saying they won't release it because I have not fully paid.

Can they do that ?

Telling my employer/contractor about that? ??

They should have gotten back to me instead.

I think they are correct ,

I owe them because I went through all my papers and couldn't find receipts of payments.

With all these debts and them not contacting me I simply must overlooked it, especially as I didn't heat from them.

I'd pay it off, it is not that much, around 1k.

I called them and asked them to tell me why they told my contractor (the gym) about the debt.

They've respond saying they will ONLY release my certificate if I pay the debt in FULL.

Which I can't because unfortunately, but would be willing to set up a payment plan of 200 a month.

Usually I would just set up the repayment plan but it really bothers me that they told my contractor and I read online that they acted illegally with this?

It areas bothers me that they are putting pressure.

on me saying I must repay in full before I get the certificate released .

..if I don't I lose my job!

Any advice on how to go about it?

If they would have come back to me and said that my contractor contacted them

(which is fine because I told them to! As I thought I paid everything off)

and they noticed that there is still upstanding debt, I'd just set up a payment plan and that's it.

But now my reputation looks bad and I am really ashamed.

I know it's my fault ,

I should have repaid it way back then,

but I was so deep in debts I didn't leave house for months because of being scared.

..then i turned everything around and repaid my debts and genuinely believed that I've repaid them fully too! (I only.repaid half!)

Thanks for your help!

Edited by kat87

Nope. Because the debt is statute barred. They cant chase it at all legally through courts, although they can ask for it. However because its SB, they should take note of it and stop pestering. They sound like they know this and are trying to blackmail you into paying because they know you need the certificate.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Does this debt at present show on your Credit File?

Noodle: https://www.noddle.co.uk/

Clearscore: https://www.clearscore.com/

What does the Agreement you signed for the Course say about none payment etc? (do you still have a copy, if not send them a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting a copy)

IMO only as the Fees were not paid even though in may now be statue barred they are using this as a tool to say you have not completed the course as to complete the course all fees due need to be paid.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Does this debt at present show on your Credit File?

Noodle: https://www.noddle.co.uk/

Clearscore: https://www.clearscore.com/

What does the Agreement you signed for the Course say about none payment etc? (do you still have a copy, if not send them a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting a copy)

IMO only as the Fees were not paid even though in may now be statue barred they are using this as a tool to say you have not completed the course as to complete the course all fees due need to be paid.

I think it all comes down to what the original contract/agreement says tbh. If theres a clause in it, then he would have to pay to complete. No clause means he could claim the qualification as theyre witholding it, or rely on a judge to grant it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Completely agree they need the original Contract/Agreement as main reason I suggested getting a SAR in if they don't have a copy.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Yes that is what i am concerned about - the data protection. Why would they tell anybody about my debt (which on top of it is 7 years old) instead of contacting me? Even though the debt is old I would still be willing to pay it off, find an agreement. I genuinely thought it was completely paid off, I paid so many debts - and trust me if i forgot something i received a letter as a reminder.

Anyways, I am seeing no other way then paying otherwise I lose my job and that would put me back right back into 2010 where all my troubles began. Although, I really dont want to give in on the other hand seeing as the breached data rights. What can I do if somebody breaches these rights?

Forget about DPA for now. Focus on the original terms and conditions. Those are key to solving this.

Hi Kat,

The company responded to the gym (my contractor) saying they won't release it because I have not fully paid.

Do you know exactly what was said by the company to the gym and was it in writing (letter or email) or by phone.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

if you pass your exams at university you dont graduate until all your debts to the uni are paid off and that includes accommodation, library fines etc. Now you would have to look up thye terms offered for the course to see whether the same would apply here. It is not about the certificate but fulfilling the requirements of the agreement. The debt may be SB but they may be within their rights ot say that you didnt complete it properly so no cert.

Hi all,

So I contacted the gym, tried to make a re-payment plan, asked for a copy of my agreement with them.

They told me they will only give me the certificate after I paid and to NOT contact them ever again. For me it does not make sense to pay for 5 months and then get my certificate when I need a copy now.

They do not want to talk to me at all and basically told me pay but do not contact us ever again.

TBH it is not their problem but it also makes me wonder about the value of the cert when yu have been in the job for 7 years as that is a qualification in itself. To be considered qualified in any job you need education, training or experience. You can show the last 2 are there and that makes the first one redundant.

So you need to question why you would lose your job when you are qualified (but dont have a bit of paper from someone ). Unless your job is merely providing a service as a self employed contractor they arent going to sack you

I will talk to my contractor, I had the certificate when I started but moved and now cant find it. I just dont get it why they do not want to cooperate, I was more than willing to pay 2 payments upfront and then settle it with a direct debit by DEC. I also do not think they should have told my contractor that I am in debt before talking to me. As I said I thought that the debt was settles after I paid several times and they were not in touch for at least 5 years. It is my fault for sue, I should have kept better track but for those who have been deep in debt, I just lost control over everything and luckily managed to stand on my feet again since 2014 and repaid all the debtors I had - just not them as there was no communication etc from them.

I would put a big part of the blame on the training company - I suspect they simply forgot to chase payment and now that they can't, they're sulking.

You could try a subject access request, which might provide sufficient information to prove that you completed the training, and which they can't withhold regardless of whether you owe them money.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

It all depends on the terms and conditions that were agreed to. If theres a clause in it that states that full payment needs to be made for the course to be complete, then they are well within their rights to withhold the Certifiate.

Hi Kat,

Can you answer my Q in post #9 above.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi kat87

My Impression from your thread was that you never had nor were issued with a copy of said certificate.

Then in post#13 you say "I had the certificate when I started but moved and now cant find it".

Could you clarify that when you finished said course that you were provided with a copy of said certificate?

That you are after a replacement copy of said certificate as it was lost during a move?

I finished the course in 2010.

I have a confirmation certificate that shows I've completed the course and many other diplomas.

Because it is such long time ago I cannot find the diploma where it only shows my L3 course confirmation (a very specific diploma).

Maybe I never had it and remember it wrongly

I am pretty sure I must have had it when started working as a PT.

I have other papers confirming that I passed but the gym needs the diploma.

I've asked them to send me my contract and they send me terms and conditions of 2016 and told me to leave them alone and that they only told my contractor I owe them but not the sum. I was hoping that the contract will show that they must have had send me the papers.

I think I will talk to my contractor now and see what he says. It's such a mess and it is my fault and I understand that they won't trust me with repayments but I hope that my contractor will maybe allow the confirmation without the diploma to follow through...

Well, the debt is techincally statute barred, so theyre pretty much holding you to ransom. Especially if you are right and the certificate was already previously granted to you.

Hi Kat,

Still no answer to my Q in post #9 ................

:wink: