• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Was a Self employed driver and not paid off company?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi hope someone can help me here please.....I was a self employed courier driver for a local company in May 2017. I worked 7 full days for the company and i got an invoice for 4 days work which i should have been paid on 15th June but because i left on the 8th day with 8 parcels left and they had to pick their van up from my premises they have refused to pay me for any days work that i did prior. And ive looked through contract and it does not state anything at all on that. Could i send a LBA to the company requesting full 7 days payment what they owe and can i charge interest????If so where can i find a LBA template please or what steps do i take.... Thank you.:-x

Hello and Welcome,

When you left did they get their parcels back ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

as they provided the van and all of the work you werent self employed. Likewise the contract you had was undoubtedly an employment contract rather than a contract for services so it is likely that you should be paid properly and that will include an extra 12% for holiday pay accrued but that isnt your question. I would be writing to them saying exactly what you are owed and give them the opportunity to explain themsleves and why they think that they dont owe the money. After a week a LBA outlining the maount owed and why and then take them to court without further ntice

Hi thanks for getting back in touch and they got all their parcels back an hour later as i met up with another worker who finished delivering them....when they did not pay me on the date it should have gone in i rang payroll and the lady was very arrogant on the phone and says i will not be paid as i did not finish delivering the parcels that day and that i went home with the van and they had to pick the van up the following day so i will not get paid for any work i did at all for the company. But its monies im owed for the work so im going to chase it.

that is interesting but doesnt answer the questions about the contract itself and whetehr they had any right to refuse to pay you.

What paperwork do you have regarding the offer of a job and your employment? How are you supposed to be piad- by the hour/day or by the parcel? It makes a big difference

I will take a copy of the contract and post it on here for you to have a look at.

And it was £74 a day the rate but if anybody took any parcels from you on your route if you was struggling they took £10 off your daily wage and if you got a concession they took £20 off your wage for each concession you got i.e if parcel was instructed to be left in greenhouse and you posted it in letterbox and customer phoned up complaining that was a concession.

but looking through not a contract but 'Conditions of work' they called it. That is all i have what was signed what i can remember.....They provided the van and the fuel and Amazon provided the hand held on the day of work. On the first sunday of work i got a concession so took £20 off my wage so ended up with £54 then the other days what they call a floater came round mid day and took some parcels from myself and they took £10 off my wage and did not know this. All workers also have to pay the company accounts dept £10 a week and they generate the invoice on your behalf and you dont know what you are getting until they send you the invoic

e each month, but been self employed i should have sent them the invoice myself??? Something really not right about this company. Ive sent them an email last night one to payroll and one to the women who set me on, just stating that i want the monies owed within 7 days plus interest which in total is £422.99.

Then told them that if no payment is recieved within 7 days i will then forward a LBA then i will go to court if needs be to get my money owed.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

how many parcels were you expected to deliver in a day?

Now, if every one was a concession, say for example you delivered 100 parcels to the right address but left them all with a neighbour would you owe the company £1926? (£2000 penalties less the £74 daily rate). This is not self employment, they provide all of the work tools and all of the work. Doesnt matter how they dress it up you are EMPLOYED, not self employed. Now you may not be a staff member but there is another class of worker that people on zero hours contracts and contractors fall into.

As for the penalty clauses, this would most likely be seen as an unafir contract for havinmg them in when the penalty for misdelivering an item si greater than the amount you get for delivering it properly. again, there is case law on this so they will have a job justifying it. See what happens to your email. i would leave it 14 days to allow time for payment but responding in 7 days isnt unreasonable.

so theroetically you can lose £2800 a day for misdelivering.

Well, I say agin, you werent self-employed and by knocking the money off like they did they have paid you less then the minimum wage, even if it could be said to be an 8 hour day..

You need to be writing a letter to whoever signed you up and let them know that you are making a claim for 7x£74, a pay slip showing how your pay was calculated, a P45 showing all payments and deductions for tax and NI and if they failt o do this then you will be using the county court to recover the monies owed. Tell them they have14 days to respond.

You can tke the failure to pay the min wage to an employment tribunal but that will take for ever and needs a lot of precision with your paperwork. The small claims track at court is simpler and will get you your money but they get away with their behaviour. That is the trade off.

hi thanks for getting in touch ive found the paperwork out what i recieved from them when i started...ive not sent LBA as yet but they have recieved some more copies of my invoices and a copy of my email stating that they had 7 days to pay. Last week i got an email back from the route manager including an invoice from themselves saying that i owe them £180...£30 for collecting their van from my premises and £150 for 5 men to finish my route off there was only 8-12 parcels left on my van to deliver lol:roll: and he told me to take a look at my 'conditions of work' when i started which ill put a copy on here...best thing is i never charged them for that day as it states in their conditions...just the previous worked days. Just thinking now wether to charge them too for my time on my days off to go pick one of their vehicles up ready for my working day the next day... i had to do that 4 times whilst i worked for them.

yes, because if the reverse is true then you can but you should still get your head around the idea you were employed on £x per hour (daily rate divided by number of hours) and just slap in a claim for that. It wont get to the bottom of the deeper issues but that would be an expensive and drawn out fight.

An ET would then be the place regarding possible minimum wage matters and tbh you would need a lawyer to help with the paperwork. you may get pro bono help via the CAB but that would depend a lot on luck as to where you live and what lawyers do good deeds in that way.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras