Companion bus pass....is use limited?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick question, been awarded enhanced rate mobility on my PIP, was informed that as well as free RFL, I can also have a ''C'' added to my bus pass. (so a companion can travel with me for free also)

Went to my LA to be told that ''You do know that you can only use it with a companion and not on your own?''

Actually no, I didn't know, and it was the first time I'd ever heard of it!

So, I'm calling her bluff, and wondered if anyone knows the real answer, or where I could possibly get the answer from....please, pretty please. TIA.. BB

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

When I was a companion for a disabled concessionary travel card holder, she would sometimes go off on her own without any issues. If you were to look at the terms & conditions of (for example, Essex):

5.1. A bus pass displaying the “C+” logo means that the holder may be accompanied by someone to support them on their journey. The ‘companion’ does not have to pay a bus fare if they accompanying the companion pass holder.

5.2. A companion cannot travel for free without the pass holder.

5.3. Companions can only travel free of charge when boarding a bus within the Essex County Council boundary.

5.4. The companion of a pass holder with an English National Concessionary bus pass will have to pay the full fare should they board a bus outside of the Essex County Council boundary.

5.5. A “C+” Holder does not have to travel with a companion where they can safely make the journey alone.

http://www.essexhighways.org/uploads/files/2016%20-%20Concessionary%20travel%20T%20and%20C.pdf

You would need to read the terms & conditions for your issuing authority to be absolutely sure. If it states "may travel with a companion" as apposed to "must travel with a companion", then you can go out on your own.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I know someone that had one of these and in Essex too on the back of his daughters full mobility DLA award.

he used it every day for work travel..

as it was then, I left there in 2012, the proviso was the same as the mobility car contracts

you could use it travelling on their own without the 'DLA awardee' being with them

as long as the 'journey' was to the benefit of the 'DLA Awardee'.

travelling to /from work brings in 'a wage to the household'

which is to the benefit of the awardee.

same as using the mobility car for work travel.

HTH.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Excellent cheers, will decipher Portsmouth City councils T&C's, she did say that it varies from LA to LA.....

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

In any case, I haven't yet met an rpi who would issue a penalty fare to a disable passenger.

But plenty to see still...

Ha ha yeah! But I wouldn't put anything past PCC, they are a law unto themselves!!

I would ask for it in writing. My understanding of the companion pass was that someone could travel with you. Not that someone had to. (kind of like the with the disabled persons railcard - where you can buy a discounted ticket for your companion)

I would ask for it in writing. My understanding of the companion pass was that someone could travel with you. Not that someone had to. (kind of like the with the disabled persons railcard - where you can buy a discounted ticket for your companion)

Yes good point! I have a DRC also....I'll pose that question to them.

Had a look at my council's website and they only issue companion pass endorsements to people who cannot access a bus on their own. They state categorically that it cannot be used if there's no companion.

I think it could probably be challenged as discriminating against people with variable conditions, and for some wheelchair users in particular, whether they need a companion could well depend on what type of bus it is.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Had a look at my council's website and they only issue companion pass endorsements to people who cannot access a bus on their own. They state categorically that it cannot be used if there's no companion.

I think it could probably be challenged as discriminating against people with variable conditions, and for some wheelchair users in particular, whether they need a companion could well depend on what type of bus it is.

I've asked the question to both bus operators in the county, so am waiting for their response, it's no big issue really, just holding the council to account.

But having trawled PCC's website, I can't find anything which states that a pass with +C on can only be used with a companion.

That's ridiculous. So, if you're having a good day, you can't travel alone on the bus then?

That's ridiculous. So, if you're having a good day, you can't travel alone on the bus then?

Pretty much. I can't acutally think of any situation in which I might be tempted to try to use a bus alone, but even so I opted not to have the C endorsement just in case. In fact, I use the bus so rarely that it's pretty irrelevant anyway.

Where I used to live there was a bus locally known as the pensioner express which was so accessible that I could probably have got the chair on without help from a companion, but that wouldn't have applied to most of the buses.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.