Question about references.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just started a new job after a long period of sickness. My last boss took a dislike to me as I was off long term because an operation I had went wrong and left me in a worse state. I also have some anxiety and depression.

I left as things were getting unbearable, things on her end were not kept very professional unfortunately.

I have just got a part time job and my boss is asking for two references which is fine but as this was my last job I will need to (or I assume so) give her name.

As she dislikes me can she say anything? I thought I might explain to my new boss that I am happy to give her name but she did take a personal dislike the answer may not be favourable or would this be a bad idea?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Does your new employer know about your sickness? Because if not, that is going to be the most likely point of contention. And employer, if they choose to give a reference, cannot lie, but they certainly don't have to give a favourable one. Of course, the real problem is that you don't know what will be said. Keep quiet and it may be ok. Equally, say something and it may be your comments that start the problems. And I'm afraid that is a judgement call - we can't predict which would be the safer course.

Thanks, yes, they know everything. They know it's why I left my last job and I was honest and up front from my very first cover letter.

If they know, then just tell them the truth, but sparingly. Don't criticise or judge. Just say that your period off sick leave want taken very well, and you are not sure they will get a balanced reference, but if the reference isn't ok then you can provide a third.