Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basic Account Holder sgtbush Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jul 2012

Default Re: Customs seizure - advice for future travel

Just going off at a little tangent here but

I was stopped coming back from Spain.
    I had 16 cartons of cigarettes (all same brand) and 5 x 50gramme hand rolling tobacco.
    Gov website RECOMMEND (not law) limits are/were at the time were
    16 cartons and 60x50gramme tobacco.
    They wanted to seize until I produced the gov recommended limits .

My case defense was....
    I'm under the recommended limits
    Here is the gov guidelines
    They are all the same brand
    I have all the receipts
    I've paid the relevant tax in Spain
    They are for personal use
    I only travel once per year, check my passport.
    According to European law you cannot restrict free trade within Europe.

After an hours arguments, perfectly civil, they rescinded with an apology from a senior manager saying the customs officer was being over zealous, and the recommended limit I just that, a recommendation not the law. Its up to customs to prove your selling or intending to sell not for you to prove its personal use.
    Be careful tho, if you say your giving them to a friend or some one else they can seize as that's not personal use

Basic Account Holder disgruntled2007 Novitiate

Cagger since : Jan 2007

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbush View Post
    Just going off at a little tangent here but

I was stopped coming back from Spain.
    I had 16 cartons of cigarettes (all same brand) and 5 x 50gramme hand rolling tobacco.
    Gov website RECOMMEND (not law) limits are/were at the time were
    16 cartons and 60x50gramme tobacco.
    They wanted to seize until I produced the gov recommended limits .

My case defense was....
    I'm under the recommended limits
    Here is the gov guidelines
    They are all the same brand
    I have all the receipts
    I've paid the relevant tax in Spain
    They are for personal use
    I only travel once per year, check my passport.
    According to European law you cannot restrict free trade within Europe.

After an hours arguments, perfectly civil, they rescinded with an apology from a senior manager saying the customs officer was being over zealous, and the recommended limit I just that, a recommendation not the law. Its up to customs to prove your selling or intending to sell not for you to prove its personal use.
    Be careful tho, if you say your giving them to a friend or some one else they can seize as that's not personal use
    It's not uncommon for an Officer who smokes to invite the miscreant out for a fag.... see if they turn green. It is also amusing to see a non smoker trying to roll one...... apparently. 😇

Basic Account Holder sgtbush Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

Default Re: Customs seizure - advice for future travel

Yea I've heard of that!
    No problem for me !

Basic Account Holder Dmw2000 Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2017

Oh wow! Thats out of order. Id be fuming at that! What i cant get my head around is, its unlimited amount from mainland, but they may question you if its over 800. Yes they cost more from the mainland, but not that much more 15-20. Still half of UK price.

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dmw2000 View Post
    Oh wow! Thats out of order. Id be fuming at that! What i cant get my head around is, its unlimited amount from mainland, but they may question you if its over 800. Yes they cost more from the mainland, but not that much more 15-20. Still half of UK price.
    That is because Canary Islands are not in the EU. The Canary Islands are a self governed territory of Spain. If you travel from Canary Islands to Spain, you have same customs restrictions as you would travelling from Canary Islands to UK.

The cig packets bought in the Canary Islands will have different wording on them regarding what tax duties have been paid.

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by unclebulgaria67 View Post
    That is because Canary Islands are not in the EU. The Canary Islands are a self governed territory of Spain. If you travel from Canary Islands to Spain, you have same customs restrictions as you would travelling from Canary Islands to UK.

The cig packets bought in the Canary Islands will have different wording on them regarding what tax duties have been paid.
    Correction. Technically the Canary Islands are in the EU, but in regard to customs rules the Canary Islands has separate arrangements as a self governed territory.

I always get confused on this, as at customs in airports Canary Islands is dealt with differently to mainland Spain.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details