Remortgage survey valuation after knocking through 3 bedrooms to 2 query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again all, we need to remortgage to switch over from an interest only to repayment mortgage. We have a three bedroom semi and last year knocked through between the front and back bedrooms. We didn't remove the entire wall, just put in an RSJ and created a gap the size of a pair of standard doors.

We did this as we don't plan to sell but completely forgetting that we would need to remortgage. However, the connecting door from each room to the hall is still there.

As we're looking at an 82% LTV, it's likely that the surveyor will actually visit. Will the surveyor class this as a two bedroomed house now or is the fact there is still a connecting door from each room to the hall, and a section of wall on either side of the new gap, mean the rooms can still be classed as separate?

We don't want to risk waiting for the survey and the house being classed as a two bedroom. If we know that is likely, then we could fill the gap by connecting the two rooms with a set of double doors prior to survey.

Would this be enough of a divide? Or would we have to fill the gap with a stud wall? Or can we just leave it as it is?

All advice welcome, thank you! :)

I doubt if they care one jot as long as the value of the property covers the mortgage on a bad day and is of sound construction.

I've heard that mortgage lenders are prone to valuing properties at below asking price though and this just gives them an extra excuse as far as I can see. If they knock 20k off the value because they now class it as a two bed property then we're up to a whacking great 91% LTV and bosh, straight onto a higher interest rate. :/