• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Monument SAR

tracyab1972
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I have been charged by Monument £1020 on late payment and overlimit fees. My credit limit is only £250 and I owe them about £1075.

Last week I sent them the letter from this website requesting statements along with my £10 cheque. Yesterday I received a letter back from them giving me a spreadsheet with all the charges. They also gave me my £10 cheque back!

Can anyone advise what I need to do now?? Should I print off the template letter on this site, asking for the £1020 to be refunded?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spend some time readingthe FAQ's here and the Step by Step instructions here before you do anything else.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Thanks for your reply. I have read the template letter regarding asking for refund of charges. The only thing that I dont know is how much overdraft interest they have charged. Monument only gave me a spreadsheet detailing the date, what the charges were for eg.. overlimit and late fees and also how much this charge is eg..£24.00,

I have calculated all the £24.00 charges which come to £1020. Do I delete the part in the template letter regarding overdraft interest and just ask for the £1020?

Thanks

Tracy

As this is a credit card, any reference to overdrafts does not apply.

Look here for a credit card letter http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/586-credit-store-card-letter.html

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

tracy, don't forget to add in ALL the charges, even the newer £12 ones.

Now just because OFT advised CC to drop their charges doesn't make them legal, they are still profiting from the £12 ones as well.

You're in for a fight with Monument. I'm currently on that road myself.

They'll offer you the difference between the older £25 charge and the newr £12 one.

Stick to your guns and time scale and we'll see them in court ;)

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Hi Guys

I have just sent my first letter to Monument asking for £ 1020 back. BUT I have stupidly included on the spreadsheet the interest. After reading a lot of posts, I now believe that I should have taken the interest column out. The interest amounted to £214.00 and I have included this in the letter.

Does anyone think this will jeopordise my claim?? :o

is it for contractual interest , if so then it is fine to add it on in first stages of claim to credit card

claim with woolwich for £1895. offer recieved for £1412 . rejection letter sent on 05/04/07.

claim with capital one for £987 for two accounts, preliminary sent 02/04/07

still waiting for full statements for husbands capital one.

gemoney sar sent on 03/03/07. on 3 accounts. cheque cashed.

barclays bank sar sent on 03/03/07. had response and cheque returned, but still no statements.

monument sar sent 03/03/07. phone call from monument to say they are dealing with my request.

Im not too sure... I used the spreadsheet on Moneysavingexpert and I have just looked. I have copied and pasted it below:

While the calculator is based on ‘statutory interest’, some people do suggest trying to claim ‘contractual interest’, i.e. the interest rate the bank charges you for lending, which compounds the interest over time (see how interest rates work article) arguing that it applies as this agreement is reciprocal. It may be worth a shot but you’re more likely to be awarded the statutory amount, hence the calculator and template letters all assume you’re claiming this.

Do you think this will be ok??????

I have stupidly included on the spreadsheet the interest.
First of all it wasnt stupid, have you done this before? probably not!

I did EXACTLY what you have done, sent my request WITH the 8% added,

I was too eager and didnt read all the FAQ's

Saying that it made NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL to my claim and I got paid IN FULL today, so dont fret.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

First of all it wasnt stupid, have you done this before? probably not!

I did EXACTLY what you have done, sent my request WITH the 8% added,

I was too eager and didnt read all the FAQ's

Saying that it made NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL to my claim and I got paid IN FULL today, so dont fret.

HI Tracy, i fully agree with dar3n and dont worry. I have recieved a letter (offer)today and have posted this on my page. Hope the information is helpfull.

Delphi

I sent my prelim letter to monument on the 2 April and got a reply from them today. They tell me that I should receive a reply back from them no later than the 4 May. Eh, I dont think so!

They have until this Monday before I send the LBA

Ok, I have just received a letter from Monument today. They say that the charges of £12 do not apply, and they only owe me £936 and not £1020.

They have offered me £468 which I am going to decline. However, im my prelim letter I included the interest. (which I believe was wrong to do) What do I do in my LBA letter do I still include the interest???

Thanks

Tracy

On the letter they have just sent to me, it states the following:

"Further to this, interest is applied to any outstading balance on your account at the contractual rate each month".

If they have added this onto the outstanding balance, can I not ask for it back?

Guest Mumofthreeboys

Yes, if you know how to do it and you can argue your case should you get in front of a Judge.

If you want to claim overdraft interest then you need to use the Advanced spreadsheet to calculate this.

I have printed off the letter template accepting part payment of £468 but wanting the remainder also. I shall post this tomorrow and shall keep you all posted on the outcome.

Can I ask, when they receive this letter but then tell me they aren't going to refund the remainder, do I then send another letter to them or do I start a court claim???

Hi Tracy,

As far as i know, it is most likley that they will ignore this. I think it is a case of lba -14 days and then start court, unless they offer you the full amount you requested (charges only) within that 14 days

Please note i am an absoulute beginner at this and can only offer an microbal opinion that must be verified by someone with a brain.:roll:

I am at the same stage as you and am now considering claiming pre six year charges as i have just found out that you can.

Delphi.

Tracy use this to refuse the offer.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

and then if you get stuck to where to go next have a read here.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

or if you need instant advice, go into the chatroom.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks

I sent my LBA to Monument aka Barclays on the 13 April. This was after them offering me a measly sum as a goodwill gesture.

There 14 days are up at the end of the week. Does anyone know if Barclays/monument are known for ignoring the LBA's. They have received my letter as I sent it recorded delivery.