Redundancy line manager not talking about it

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is a new org structure to be effective soon in my workplace which is resulting in my role being made redundancy. I was told last week by my Managers,s MAnager and hr that my job is at risk as they will be outsourcing the services for my role. There is 3 of us that does this role, out of the 3 only 1 person is left who Has the senior role. After I was told the news , we had a Team meeting the following day but there was no mention about the new changes at all, just business as usual. My manger then scheduled a team meeting today but he said he cannot talk about the changes and showed us the new org structure which is not a true reflection of what's going on. I am still listed on the new structure and he didn't even mention that I am at risk of being made redundancy. He only spoke to the team about a new role within the team that will become vacant and he says he instrucuted him to not talk about the changes to the team.

Since last week I haven't had contact with my direct line manager . He is I. My boss is A different location so we do everything using online collaboration tools.

I am finding this really strange and am wondering if it's Normal or not and should I speak to my line manager. I don't expect him to know the answers but I would have expected him to at least ask if I am ok and how I am doing.

I'm struggling to understand exactly what you are saying has happened, but if you are getting what appears to be conflicting information, you need to ask. If your manager doesn't know, then you speak to the people who told you that your position was at risk in the first place.

I'm struggling to understand exactly what you are saying has happened, but if you are getting what appears to be conflicting information, you need to ask. If your manager doesn't know, then you speak to the people who told you that your position was at risk in the first place.

Agree. Not very clear. Where companies are going through major changes like this it can become confusing.

What needs to be understood is that your line manager and even the manager above, may not be dealing with the restructure and redundancies. Therefore after the initial announcement, they might not be involved in the process, apart from passing on information they are being given.

Suggest that you speak with your colleagues at the same level to see whether they are also confused about what is going on. If they feel the same way as you, then i would suggest you ask your line manager to speak to whoever is dealing with the restructure and redundancies, to ask them to provide clarification to everbody that needs to know.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your responses. I was just wondering weather its normal for my direct line manager to not ask me if i am ok after I got the news or is my expectation of him not reasonable.

Thanks for your responses. I was just wondering weather its normal for my direct line manager to not ask me if i am ok after I got the news or is my expectation of him not reasonable.

They might ask you about your health and how is the work going, but nothing about redundancy or company changes.

Your line manager may have been given strict instructions not to discuss redundancy or company changes, beyond the information they have passed on. It might also be the case that your line manager also faces redundancy or be aware that it will be announced at some point.

If you have questions about redundancy process, find out from your line manager who you need to contact.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

OK probably 3 down to 1 jobs in the new structure. Now the new post wont have a name on it yet so not your job/Fred's job etc just a generic list of qualities/skills needed. However, there must be a consultation period but the length of that will vary according to how many are affected and the expected outcomes of that consultation regarding to what happens to those not offered the new job. They then may set about interviewing people to gauge who is best suited or even who wants to go if made an offer of redundancy with enhanced terms.

Basically keep your ears and mind open and mouth shut.

During restructure which involves redundancy it's a matter of cannibalism as I like to call it.

Everyone is scared of losing their job, including your manager, so everyone will be tight lipped and bitching.

My advice is to try concentrating on your job and carry on.

At the same time it won't harm to look for another job, maybe a better one.

It's pointless to get stressed about something that may never happen.

Make a plan of what you would do if you had to change job and then carry on as normal.

If you're made redundant then you'll deal with it.

I've planned to return to fine carpentry and cabinet making if I'm ever made redundant, but for now it's only a plan B that most likely will only start when I retire.