Insurance company playing dirty tricks..

mrk1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I'll be brief.

I have just sold my car and I am trying to cancel my insurance.

If i had not sold my car I would have had to pay just another 2 months on the policy.

Some idiot drove into me a while ago and though the car was not really damaged I was still quite annoyed and wanted the driver to pay for it somehoe and thought I better tell my insurance company to cover my own back. Silly mistake.

I did not put a claim in, it was simply a 'notification' to let them know.

I strictly said this.

I called them 2 weeks ago to ask about when I would need to cancel my policy as to not have to pay another month, as I knew my car was due to sell anytime. They said there is a claim still open, and I told them that I did not open a claim, the women on the phone said it would be closed anyway and there would be no more to pay.

I called today as my car has now sold and wanted to cancel the insurance asap. The women told me there is a case open and if I cancel there is still a closing amount to pay because there is a pending case open.

I told her again I did not open a case and she was just giving me spiel about how it's in case the 3rd party puts a claim in!

There is no 3rd party because I did not challenge the case.

They are trying to screw me over here and it's obvious, all these companies the same!

Can someone please advise me, because I do not have money to be burning into thin air.

Thanks.

Unfortunately the Insurers are correct. Register an accident with an Insurers where it is possible a third party might claim and if you sell a vehicle before renewal you have to pay any remaining premium for the year. If no claim is made by the renewal date ask for a refund between date of cancellation and renewal date.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Register a formal complaint in writing advising that the accident was 100% the fault of the third party and you don't see why you have to pay the full annual premium by cancelling early. You want the standard cancellation terms to apply.

See how they respond.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I tried to ask her to speak to a higher up but she would not listen.

I do actually have CCTV footage of the accident, and it does show him driving into me, should I use this?

I never submited it because my frined said there was a possibility they could come back with a 50/50... I was adamant it was his fault and the video shows it.... maybe I could post it on here?

What if I got a letter from the person who had the accident (it was a driver of a large organization) and got them to sign that they were not making a claim? (it furiates me to even type that because I know it was not my fault)!

Should I post video up here?

Not being funny, but just get on with it and make your complaint in writing to the Insurance company. We see so many frustrated complainers on this site, who manage to post to this site, but find it difficult writing a straighforward letter. You write very well and seem very well equiped at making a complaint.

Your Insurers are basically correct, but if you hassle them enough with a complaint, they might not bother to charge you the premium until renewal. Send the CCTV footage to their claims department for their records.

OK I'll call them up today and ask for a forwarding address.

The next payment would be due on the 18th though. A bit of a tight deadline? Or can I ask for it to be suspended while I write?

And what about the video footage I have and asking the '3rd party' if they are going to make a claim? And if they are not then they should close the case. and what about this refund if no claim is made?

If you think about it.

If you don't want to pay, cancel the direct debit at the bank or cancel the payment authority with the Insurers if it is a debit card arrangement. The payment won't be processed until Thursday, so tine to stop it.

You can get the third party to confirm they will not be making a claim and that they were 100% at fault for the accident.. Your Insurers will want this in writing from the third party.

The silly thing in these situations is technically with a pending claim you have to pay the full years premium. You only get a refund later if no claim payment is made. Not many people are happy paying and possibly getting the refund at an unknown date later. HENCE WHY YOU SHOULD BE COMPLAINING IN WRITING.

OK so just called them, maybe I had it wrong... They are a lovely bunch of people..... :violin:.

Not.

But they said i would only be liable to pay the remaining amount IF a claim is made by the 3rd party.

I have threatened them (nicely) and (politely) that I will be in contact with the 3rd party to get a written letter to confirm that they were at fault. I don't know I chat **** sometimes..

looks like I don't have to pay any more money, unless this 3rd party puts a claim in.

Is there a chance that this insurance company will antagonise the situation and write to the 3rd party inviting them to put a claim in? It would make good business sense if they did?!?!?!

This all happened about 2 months ago, they are unsure how long it will take until the case is closed, I asked them how long they normally take and they have said there is no set time... JOKERS. Playing their own rules, it should be illegal.