2 Cap1 cards, one defaulted the other with late markers.

Elliot2011
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm seeking some advice on how to manage my current debts.

My credit score hasn't been brilliant since making some silly decisions when younger, but I had been making large steps in improving my score and almost cleared the majority of my debts.

Unfortunately over the past 6 months my partner has suffered with mental health issues (some of which manifest in a physical way and require her at times to have 24 hour care).

Her illnesses cause her to be off work from two weeks up to over a month depending on the severity of the episodes.

During these times I've either had to be off work so we have had no income at all for significant periods, or I've had to have family members help and use a much loathed credit card to cover basic bills.

The good news is I'm up to date on my rent and council tax.

Electric and gas bills are also up to date, and an affordable plan in place to cover my water bills.

I am however concerned about my credit card debit

, it's got to the point where I almost reach a time I can afford to clear the debt almost totally and then my partner gets ill again and I suddenly have no disposable income.

I think the credit company have become frustrated (understandably) with lack of payment.

I have tried to explain the situation to them but they don't seem to really read my letters and keep asking for proof that I myself has been ill, which isn't the case.

I want to get the debt under control and clear it as soon as possible and I am just looking for advice on how to handle it. Currently showing one in late payment and one about to default.

I think the starting point is probably to start listing out your debts here.

It was the creditor, when was the debt taken out, how much is outstanding, when were last payments made – et cetera

Without knowing more about all of the debts you have, it is difficult to advise. I guess what you are trying to avoid is defaulting on credit cards, as that might mean increased interest rates making it more difficult, credit record black mark and possible CCJ at some stage. Also the credit cards are your current safety net and if you lose these, then you would be in more difficulty.

Your main issue is your partners health and it affecting household income. I wonder whether you qualified for any government help during these period e.g tax credits, carers allowance, universal credit. Did you investigate ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well done for dealing with your priority debts, rent, ctax, utility bills (less clean water).

These are, as you have correctly established, your PRIORITY, and MUST be paid, otherwise things will go from bad to worse.

Have you checked your credit file?

When did you take this credit card out and WHO is it with?

CC's are a NON-priority debt, have you informed them, in writing, that your circumstances have changed?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If you've got defaults paying off the debts in bulk won't help

Hope you are not paying any powerless dca's

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A free debt advice group, like Step Wise or CAB may better advise you.

You may need to compile a monthly statement of savings, income & expenditure.

CCs may not be a priority debt but can be used to defer payments if paid off in full by the Statement date, otherwise they are an expensive form of credit.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I check my credit score weekly using the free Experian service and ClearScore as I have been really trying to improve my financial standing and wanting to correct past mistakes.

Both credit cards are with Capitol One.

One I've managed to keep up the minimum payments on most months but it does show late payments, the other is now defaulting.

I have tried to explain my change in circumstances to them but it seems as though they don't fully read my letters and keep asking for proof of my own Ill health,

which isn't an issue,

it's the situation created by my partners ill health that's causing financial hardship.

I'm not paying any DCA's.

Currently unsure what help government wise is available.

My partner was forced to apply for PIP after being awarded DLA for life, and as many people with mental illness are finding she was denied and is currently appealing.

I will try one of the free advice agencies too thank you.

I thought I'd ask here as the advice received previously when I was dealing with an unruly council was excellent.

ill pop in later

bit busy today.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well in all reality you are going to default on both

so 6yrs bad credit rating sadly whatever you do

you are quite correct in not sending medical info.

it wont make any diff and its none of their business anyway.

only a judge can demand such info.

how old are the cards please

and they