Moved to Canada Student Loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved to Canada 2 years ago as a Permanent Resident and I've been paying the SLC for the last 18 months but now I've had a private loan recalled (father in law) and I can't make payments to him, MBNA UK (£10,000 on 0% credit card) and the SLC.

I've decided to pay my family and MBNA but I want to know what damage the SLC can do to me. If not paying the SLC is going to ruin my credit then I'd rather lump it all in and default on the MBNA too so I can pay this private loan back quicker. If not I'm happy to pay.

I get my citizenship next year and it's unlikely we will be returning to the UK. Ireland at some point possibly but not the UK.

Loans were taken 2005, 2009-2012. Totally £21,000. Outstanding is £15,000

Thanks in advance.

Do SLC know you are resident in Canada ?

Debts are not often enforced outside of the UK. Ireland would be easier if you moved there, as there is more cooperation between Ireland and UK. In theory UK debts can be transfered to Canada as there is a Commonwealth agreement on debts, but i very much doubt it would happen.

If you stopped paying SLC, a default debt amount of arrears would be created and eventually the debt would be sold off and if you came back to UK or Ireland if might be subject to court claim. And the debt would always be capable of court action as they are not affected by limitations law.

It might be sensible to write to SLC just saying that you are resident in Canada and will have to stop repayments until further notice, as you have other debts which are currently causing you problems.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

id stop MBNA too.

nothing much any UK creditor can do to you...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the replies guys.

A few questions regarding MBNA:

1. Is it better to get a CCJ or to tell them I'm in Canada so they can't?

2. I want the 6 year countdown to start ASAP, what's the best way to make that happen?

3. MBNA have a presence here in Canada, will they try and use their Canadian arm to reclaim a UK debt?

Last question is theoretical.

If I continue to make payments to MBNA for a few months but happen to build up debt on other cards

- would this be any worse than simply defaulting on the one?

I mean my credit record is going to be ruined in both cases.

Theoretical question of course...

Edited by dx100uk

Thanks for the replies guys.

A few questions regarding MBNA:

1. Is it better to get a CCJ or to tell them I'm in Canada so they can't? they cant you're in Canada.

2. I want the 6 year countdown to start ASAP, what's the best way to make that happen? stop paying.

3. MBNA have a presence here in Canada, will they try and use their Canadian arm to reclaim a UK debt? - nope they wont even know

Last question is theoretical.

If I continue to make payments to MBNA for a few months but happen to build up debt on other cards

- would this be any worse than simply defaulting on the one?

I mean my credit record is going to be ruined in both cases.

Theoretical question of course...

what credit record uk or Canada?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

only UK debts would show.

and they cant harm you in Canada

and they

Regarding the CCJ - they still think I'm in the UK - statements are going to my parents address. Should I tell them or keep shut?

you legally should have informed all your creditors you are resident in Canada the day you were.

dx

and they

Regarding the CCJ - they still think I'm in the UK - statements are going to my parents address. Should I tell them or keep shut?

Worse thing you can do is hide abroad and not tell UK creditors you are not resident in the UK. That means it is very likely they would get a UK CCJ in your absence using your last known UK address. It is then much easier to transfer a UK CCJ to a court in Canada. Much more difficult to go straight to a Canadian court without a UK CCJ.

Suggest that you write to all UK creditors giving them your Canadian address and a copy of something proving you are a resident in Canada. If you need to stop payments, then do so and advise UK creditors. It is very unlikely any action would be taken against you in Canada. You will get debt collection letters, but that is probably all. No afffect on your Canadian records.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 5 months later...

Quick update.

Let all my UK credit card companies know that I'd moved abroad - kept written confirmation from all of them of this.

Student loans company managed to track me down to a new rental apartment

(pretty sure my old landlord just gave them my forwarding address

- probably the new tenants panicking over the red letters).

So far they've sent about 4 letters with big scary red bars saying further action will be taken.

They also call from Scotland occasionally

- I know it's them because it's a withheld number.

The left a voicemail once but they don't bother anymore.

I'll be stopping the credit cards in Feb so I'll expect them to start hassling me at some point.

• 7 months later...

New update.

Student loans were transferred to Transcom who called about 20 times over 4 months. I ignored the calls.

New letter arrived about a month ago saying the debt had been transferred back to the SLC. They've been silent since.

I also stopped paying all my CCs about 4 months ago. Total debt is around 30,000GBP. Getting letters from these 3 creditors every 2/3 days.

I lived in Canada, had UK debt companies chasing me. I can confirm they can't do anything to you, and it will have no effect on your Canadian credit file.

I lived in Canada, had UK debt companies chasing me. I can confirm they can't do anything to you, and it will have no effect on your Canadian credit file.

Good to know.

My only regret is not doing this earlier. I'd be 3 years in to the 6 year credit report cutoff.

I don't plan on returning to the UK anytime soon though.

Fair enough, but as they say, Man plans, God laughs.

But just on an even more reassuring note for you, just in case.

Not one of the UK debts who were chasing me in Canada, ever took anymore action than threatening letters even when I came back to the UK. I returned 9 years ago and they are all off my CRA files and long since statute barred by now.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I had a letter saying the debt was transferred to a local collection agency but not heard anything since.

I am over a year in arrears. Just stop paying they aren’t going to do anything

8 hours ago, gingertwist said:

Wondering if you have any updates on this? 

Been in Canada for 3 years - been paying back UK debt and SLC. 

Its crippling me with the currency conversion.  

create a new topic

tell us about the debts

hit create in the top red banner

dx

and they

please create your own topic gt.

dca's are not bailiffs

list your debts

I bet most are unenforceable inc the slc loan

stop being cash cowed!!

dx

and they

9 hours ago, gingertwist said:

Just a couple more questions.... 

A local one in Canada or UK? 

Has it effected your Canadian credit? 

Are your parents recieving letters at their address? 

I don't want to screw up both credit files and I don't particularly want my mum ringing up telling me some Goon has tried to take her stuff 😂

Not sure what you mean "local" in Canada or UK? All my debt is in the UK.

If you're here on a permanent visa, that is PR or something that even leads to PR then I would just stop paying them once you have told them that you are no longer in the UK. I left behind over 20 grand in credit card debt and 15 grand in SLC debt and they have not taken any action other than letters and phone calls in the last 5 years.

My only regret is making payments the first 2 years I was here. I should have stopped paying immediately as then I would have been able to buy a house sooner.

Parents received letters until I updated my address and now they no longer get anything.

It doesn't affect your Canadian credit record (I have good credit in Canada).

I'm a citizen here now and have no intention of returning to the UK.

Edited by poutine

Transfered to local collection probably means absolutely nothing. Standard letter for debtors who have moved abroad, which might raise fears of some local agent contacting them in Canada or wherever.  There are some people who would panic and make contact with UK debt owner, which is what the letter may be designed to achieve.

Debt collection agencies in most countries have enough domestic debts to collect and would not get involved with foreign debts. Too complicated and unlikely to collect anything to even cover their costs.  

To clarify. The student loans company passed the debt to an Ontario based debt collection company who hasn’t contacted me and who I would ignore if they did as the debt isn’t recognized in Ontario.

Even if the debt was transferred to Canada it likely wouldn’t affect your Canadian rating. The system isn’t setup to log foreign debts. 

Edited by poutine

Have moved Gingertwists posts to their own thread, as is the practice on CAG, as we don't want things to become confused.  No doubt Poutine will add replies to Gingertwists thread, if they can offer any help.

Gingertwists new threads link.  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/418670-moved-to-canada-with-debts/