• Tweets

• Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Santander don't like savers much

Jim Davis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to recently selling my house and buying a far cheaper house elsewhere I now have a bank balance of £149,509.10 in my Santander account.

Despite this they pay me no interest at all.

Santander said I could obtain a different type of account that would pay me

interest but only on a balance up to £20,000.

I am of the impression that the bank doesn't want my money and would prefer me

to transfer it elsewhere.

I find this very strange indeed because I thought banks needed people with large balances so they could lend to other people and charge interest on the loans.

Seems to me if you have a fairly large amount of money the last place you put it is in a bank.

Having no idea where to invest my money I assume I will have to just leave it in the bank and watch it depreciate due to inflation. Oh well, such is life.

Having no idea where to invest my money I assume I will have to just leave it in the bank and watch it depreciate due to inflation. Oh well, such is life.

You are right.

Your assumption is correct.

If you are too dumb to seek professional advice and find an investment that suits:

a) your desired level of risk and

b) your desired level of access to the money invested, then

Yes, you'll have to leave it in a bank account.

It isn't Santander's fault that interest rates are currently low,

Edited by Andyorch
edited personal remarks

If you have a personal pension running...why not top it up...better interest to be made in pensions at the moment than any Bank Savings Account.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If wisdom was directly proportional to one's bank account balance, this country would be run by nobel prices...

Money!

What the hell is it for rather than buying food and pay bills?

I wonder why so many people waste their life in desperate search of more money that they need.

The richest man in the graveyard, my grandfather used to say to his friend who was bragging about his bank balance at every opportunity.

My Grandad died happily at 95 surrounded by people who loved him.

His friend died alone at 58 of heart attack possibly due to the stress of working 20 hours a day in order to accumulate useless wealth and taking time away from the family.

Is this a current account you have the money in at the moment ?

I think one of their 123 accounts pays interest, but it isn't very high.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Is this a current account you have the money in at the moment ?

I think one of their 123 accounts pays interest, but it isn't very high.

Hi CitizenB and thank you for your reply. Yes my money is in a current account. It's the same

account I've had since 1977. I realise that I could open a 123 account.

Sadly the 123 account only pays interest on £20,000 and ignores the rest.

Thank you for giving me kind advice rather than attacking and insulting me.

Hi CitizenB and thank you for your reply. Yes my money is in a current account. It's the same

account I've had since 1977. I realise that I could open a 123 account.

Sadly the 123 account only pays interest on £20,000 and ignores the rest.

Thank you for giving me kind advice rather than attacking and insulting me.

So, in other words you still need:

http://bfy.tw/CbZQ

ooh look it googles to Independent financial advice

Is that what you intended BS?

It is still up to the OP, but isn't that what they need?

seek professional advice and find an investment that suits:

b) your desired level of access to the money invested

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-savings-rate-falls-to-new-record-low-fuelling-brexit-slump-fears-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

There are probably loads of reasons that people aren't saving - some are repaying debts (hopefully) and others are probably just saving it under their mattress ! Interest is either so low or non- existent - why would they want to just leave money in the bank for the banks to borrow ? Could be they are also concerned that banks might have put themselves in a dodgy position again and don't trust them! Of course there is the main reason - that people simply don't have the money to save in the first place ?

Brexit has pushed the amount Brits are saving to the lowest level since records began

A Brexit-fuelled economic slowdown is looking increasingly likely, with more data out Friday suggesting UK household finances are being squeezed to breaking point.

Brits are saving less than at any point in more than 50 years, due to inflation and falling real wages

According to new figures released by the Office for National Statistics on Friday morning, just 1.7% of incomes were put aside for a rainy day in the first quarter of 2017, which is lower than at any point since comparable records began in 1963.

And of course here is the real reason they are concerned we aren't saving..... Consumer confidence - people aren't spending either.. so more high street shops going out of business, people not upgrading their phones/computers/televisions !

This is worrying because, if the savings rate it falling because of rising prices and flat wage growth, it suggests Brits have little headroom to absorb further price rises. This could mean that Brits cut back on their spending. Consumer confidence figures out on Friday show shoppers are at their most pessimistic for 12-months.

Any spending slowdown would be disastrous for the economy, as it is consumer spending that has largely held up GDP growth since last year's Brexit vote.

So we will lend them more so they can spend !! But still not have sufficient to save.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My son Terry said he could get me some interest on my money if I transfer it to his savings

account with Barclays Bank. OK no problem.

I visit my local branch of Santander and ask them to transfer most of my money into

my sons bank account.

Santander say they can't do that without photographic proof of my identity

such as a passport or a photo driving licence. I have neither so I was unable to

transfer the money to my sons bank account.

I left my local Santander branch wondering how they accepted my house sale money

into my account without me proving my identity.

Surely if your not good enough to transfer money out how can you be good enough to

transfer money in?

I therefore assume banks are bent.

Hello there.Hello there.

We sold our house not that long ago and we had to provide proof of identity. How did you manage that? Can you use whatever you gave the lawyer and/or estate agent to give to Santander?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Most if not all Solicitors check your identity by the same methods before the sale money is transferred to your account....money laundering etc ....as for Santander are you not comforted that they wouldn't transfer without your ID...what if it wasn't you ?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Lots of accounts that pay better interest than anything Santander offer. Also look at Premium Bonds & other NSI products.

OP - remember the tax position of your son, if he is in a higher band than you more tax will be paid. Also why can't you open the same savings account that he has if it is that good.

If you have a personal pension running...why not top it up...better interest to be made in pensions at the moment than any Bank Savings Account.

Andy

Hi Andy, I have a Civil Service pension that's in payment. I am not allowed to top it up

with any further money. I don't understand how I can make interest on a pension scheme

I'm not allowed to top up.

Well if you cant add to it its irrelevant.....but in the main pensions are one of the best sources of interest rates at the moment subject to the kind of personal pension you hold and if its in managed funds.

http://www.pensionfundsonline.co.uk/content/pension-funds-insider/the-impact-of-rising-interest-rates-on-pension-fund-portfolios/1481

Hello there.Hello there.

We sold our house not that long ago and we had to provide proof of identity. How did you manage that? Can you use whatever you gave the lawyer and/or estate agent to give to Santander? HB

To my house sale conveyancing solicitor I provided my paper driving licence, my birth certificate and a recent utility bill. That was accepted as proof of identity for my house sale. I therefore conclude that the proof of identity I provided to my solicitor is insufficient as proof of identity to my own bank.

I noticed something strange yesterday when I received my monthly credit report from Noddle.

Since banking a load of cash my credit rating has gone down from 619 to 594.

I have no blemishes on my credit report apart for one negative for not having a credit card.

My credit rating is 3 out of 5 which means I would be turned down for some credit applications

or charged a higher then average interest rate. I own my house outright, I have a large bank balance, a secure Civil Service pension and I am considered a financial risk if I applied to borrow a few grand? This country is bonkers, the financial services, banks and credit reference agencies can't tell **** from putty.

Well thats irrelevant as you wont require any credit with £149,509.10 in the Bank:wink:

Ignore any credit score from the CRA's (especially Noddle & Clearscore) as they are based on their own criteria which bear no comparison to lenders.

You only need to worry if there are any bad markers, which I would assume there are not.

How bizarre.

First the OP is complaining that they get low or no interest on almsot £150k cash they have at hand:

Due to recently selling my house and buying a far cheaper house elsewhere I now have a bank balance of £149,509.10 in my Santander account.

Despite this they pay me no interest at all.

Santander said I could obtain a different type of account that would pay me

interest but only on a balance up to £20,000.

I am of the impression that the bank doesn't want my money and would prefer me

to transfer it elsewhere.

I find this very strange indeed because I thought banks needed people with large balances so they could lend to other people and charge interest on the loans.

Seems to me if you have a fairly large amount of money the last place you put it is in a bank.

Then (on the same thread!) they are complaining that they would be turned down for credit, or charged higher than average interest.

I noticed something strange yesterday when I received my monthly credit report from Noddle.

Since banking a load of cash my credit rating has gone down from 619 to 594.

I have no blemishes on my credit report apart for one negative for not having a credit card.

My credit rating is 3 out of 5 which means I would be turned down for some credit applications

or charged a higher then average interest rate. I own my house outright, I have a large bank balance, a secure Civil Service pension and I am considered a financial risk if I applied to borrow a few grand? This country is bonkers, the financial services, banks and credit reference agencies can't tell **** from putty.

There is still no sign of them taking financial advice.

If they raised this with a financial adviser, part of the advice would be "don't take out that loan".

Keep a relevant sum in an investment with quick & easy access

Remember:

find an investment that suits:

b) your desired level of access to the money invested,

Use that money in place of getting that loan.

So, the money you no longer are getting (say, for sake of argument) 1.2% AER interest (and paying tax on that interest) prevents you having to pay (again, say) 7% APR interest charges......

So, my conclusion is that either:

a) The OP just wants to complain, and the "I'd have to pay a higher rate of interest" is a 'straw man' argument or

b) They are in desperate need of financial advice if the fact they should use that money (instead of saving it at a low interest rate at the same time as borrowing it at a higher rate......) isn't obvious to them.

Perhaps it is both a) and b).

I sent a cheque to my son Terry for £120,000 and he has paid it into his account.

The cheque hasn't cleared yet but I advised him to invest the money in property.

Meanwhile he will get some interest on the money sat in his savings account.

One thing that crossed my mind, will Terry be accused of money laundering?

Also will I be accused of money laundering?

Are there any tax liabilities for transferring the money to my son?

I hope not.