DWP investigating breach of savings limits.

liquidstool
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Back in february I had a call from DWP saying they'd received information that my savings had gone over the limit for income support and requested bank statements for the previous 6 months.

Some of those accounts had been closed and it was a bit awkward to get statements,

the bank however provided a closing balance that detailed the sums in the account between the dates they were asking for (backward from Nov 16 - present)

It also stated that thee was a zero balance and the account closed in January.

I'd heard nothing at all for three months and then this evening got a call from them saying I hadn't sent all the statements in which i have.

On the letter they originally sent,

there was also a line asking for statement for any other accounts dating back to Nov 2014.

I didn't send any in because there were no other accounts,

however, they are now saying they made an error in their original letter and that i should of provided statements for all accounts going back to 2014.

I've complied fully without hesitation up til now but the fact that they've only just (allegedly) started looking at my case and to not even notify me of the delay then claim it's MY error is crap. and I feel that I no longer wish to be so helpful.

I've had three months of worry and it's not fair.

Now I've got who knows how long before they make a decision.

What (if any) are my rights here?

I'm guessing that they'll use the non-compliance line and just stop my (and potentially my daughters too) benefits?

BTW, it did turn out that my savings DID go over the limit for about a week by a couple of hundred quid.

As soon as i got off the phone to the DWP,

i immediately checked my account and on going back about a month did find the problem.

I also called the investigator back and declared this- and this was caused by a large backpayment of benefits owed to my daughter for ESA and my benefits going in on the same day and a large deposit from the council related to 6 months of expenses they owed me).

I'm my daughter's full time carer and i manage her benefits in my account as she still lives at home - she has a severe mental disability.

All of this information is clearly shown on the statements i sent in.

I had assumed also that as we both get benefits in our own right that we are both entitled to the savings limits (6k each) Can anybody clarify this point.

I've always been super careful not to go over the limits as i know this automatically triggers a notice to DWP.

This often means that I end up having to buy stuff that is not really required just to stay under the limits

- an absolutely ludicrous state of affairs.

My daughter is now 20 and will soon be moving out into supported living and I have always tried to save a little money from her benefits to set her up in her own home when the time comes.

If anybody has some info or hints i'd be much obliged

Stool

so whichever why they wish to view it, it only went over because of benefit back payments on an entitlement of your daughter.

that is paid to the same account.

cant see that being a problem.

I know someone that does the same as you

they got pip/dla backdated from 2012 recently after a tribunal hearing.

they've had no issues.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...