Liability for someone else's Virgin Media debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right thread so apologies if not.

In April 2014, I moved into a shared accommodation property with two other girls.

As lead tenant, I organised everything, all bills etc were in my name.

In April 2015, one of the girls moved out.

In October 2015, I cancelled my virgin media account as I was going to be travelling for work and the flat was really just a 'home base' for when I got a week off etc and so that all my bills were still going to the same place.

Work was paying for my travel and accommodation in other places so it wasn't too big a deal to pay rent on a flat I wasn't staying in.

I had closed the account early and so I'd paid a bit extra and whatever.

My account was closed but my remaining flatmate took out a virgin account in her name.

I moved out in March 2016, informed all the utilities that were still in my name that I'd be moving out and they issued final bills etc

. I couldn't cancel VM as it was in my flatmates name.

this week, moving into a new place with my bf,

I try to set up virgin media,

only to get a phone call telling me that I can't be given services because there's a £76 debt at a property I once lived at.

(My ex-flatmate moved out at the end of April 2016 but apparently didn't cancel her account)

I've since had a discussion with 3 different departments (orders, collections and customer services) who have all confirmed that unless I pay off a debt that is not in my name and nothing to do with me, I cannot get my services.

I'm expecting a call from senior management tomorrow afternoon after I kicked up a bit of a fuss but legally, can I be held accountable for someone else's debt with them?

You aren't legally liable for the other person's debt.

However, Virgin aren't under an obligation to supply you with services.

So, whilst they can't make you pay it ; if you don't you can't make them provide you with services .....

I'd suggest raising it on social media : they might budge when you make them look unfair .......

No you can't be liable for a debt owed by someone else and VM should not be asking you to pay it.

But VM have no legal obligation to provide you with their services. The same as any business they can pick whether they accept your custom.

I suspect if you contacted the telecoms ombudsman, they would not be happy VM were approaching a third party to pay a debt in this type of situation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi , send an email to Tom Mockridge (you will need to google his email address, I think it is at virgin.com. One of the management team will contact you , they were fab when I was going around in circles.

In October 2015, I cancelled my virgin media account as I was going to be travelling for work and the flat was really just a 'home base' for when I got a week off etc and so that all my bills were still going to the same place. Work was paying for my travel and accommodation in other places so it wasn't too big a deal to pay rent on a flat I wasn't staying in. I had closed the account early and so I'd paid a bit extra and whatever. My account was closed but my remaining flatmate took out a virgin account in her name.

I moved out in March 2016, informed all the utilities that were still in my name that I'd be moving out and they issued final bills etc. I couldn't cancel VM as it was in my flatmates name.

So this week, moving into a new place with my bf, I try to set up virgin media, only to get a phone call telling me that I can't be given services because there's a £76 debt at a property I once lived at. (My ex-flatmate moved out at the end of April 2016 but apparently didn't cancel her account)

I've since had a discussion with 3 different departments (orders, collections and customer services) who have all confirmed that unless I pay off a debt that is not in my name and nothing to do with me, I cannot get my services.

I'm expecting a call from senior management tomorrow afternoon after I kicked up a bit of a fuss but legally, can I be held accountable for someone else's debt with them?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Simple answer is Yes, you can be held liable for another's debt IF you agreed to act as G.

Doesn't appear to be the case here.

I assume your VM account has a unique account no. in your name?

Either your ex flatmate fraudulently used/Tx your account or confused VM ascribed your account details to flatmate.

Unless VM capitulate, you may have to argue your case in Court

Unless VM capitulate, you may have to argue your case in Court

If VM don't take the OP to court (and I doubt they would; telling the OP they won't supply them with services unless they pay off the 3rd party's debt is a world away from VM deciding to take the OP to court for the 3rd party's debt .....), how is it going to get to court?.

There will be two separate agreements and account numbers...irrespective of the same address..you cant offset against two different individuals and hold them to ransom to debt collect...even though VM appear to think they can.

VM use to have password protection on your account..not sure if this is still the case.

Escalate......

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain-to-ofcom

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

For your info

[email protected]

👍🏻

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.