• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

No Contract No Rights ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work in a 6th Form delivering Education through a sports course. I have been their for 8 years and I invoice the school directly.

The school has been taken over and lots of changes have taken place. I was called in about 3 months ago and received a pep talk from the head saying we must improve standards. I agreed and welcomed this and stated I would do everything in my power to support this but as I attend only half the week it would be challenging as they spend a lot of time out of my sight so to try to effect dress code would be difficult. At the meeting nothing in writing was given to me no minutes or anything at all to suggest that what they had actually done was given me a verbal warning. I have received no induction have no contract none of the updated procedures around school have been explained at all. They have called me in and said they are letting me go as the standards have no improved.8 years no contract which is my fault no verbal written warning at all no support or information about disciplinary procedures in school no induction nothing. I feel harshly treated don't want anyone to get the violins out but do I have any rights at all around basic working conditions etc..?

I work in a 6th Form delivering Education through a sports course. I have been their for 8 years and I invoice the school directly.

The school has been taken over and lots of changes have taken place. I was called in about 3 months ago and received a pep talk from the head saying we must improve standards. I agreed and welcomed this and stated I would do everything in my power to support this but as I attend only half the week it would be challenging as they spend a lot of time out of my sight so to try to effect dress code would be difficult. At the meeting nothing in writing was given to me no minutes or anything at all to suggest that what they had actually done was given me a verbal warning. I have received no induction have no contract none of the updated procedures around school have been explained at all. They have called me in and said they are letting me go as the standards have no improved.8 years no contract which is my fault no verbal written warning at all no support or information about disciplinary procedures in school no induction nothing. I feel harshly treated don't want anyone to get the violins out but do I have any rights at all around basic working conditions etc.?

if you were self employed with no contract stating exact terms, then the school could have stopped your work at any time and for any reason.

Seems like an odd arrangement that should have been resolved years ago. If you are a contractor, then from the start of any new work, you need a written contract stating the full terms.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you so to be clear I have little or no rights and the really don't need a reason to get rid of me?

You would need to evidence that over a period of time you agreed a verbal contract covering your work for the school and there was a commitment to continue this or if they wanted to end the arrangement there was a notice period.

What evidence could you provide to a court to win a relevant sum related to a breach of a verbal contract ?

In your earlier post, you suggested it was never documented and it is one persons word over anothers. If you are registered as self employed, the school was simply contracting you on a casual pay as you teach deal, which at any point might be ended.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

There may be steps you can take but you would really need legal advice beyond anything that can be offered on here. Are you in a union? If so consult them. Otherwise talk to an employment lawyer - many will offer an initial 30 minute consultation free of charge, or for a minimal charge, to see whether you have a case.

At a school where I was a governor we discovered the head had entered into a similar agreement to the one you have. It came to light only when the sports instructor started proceedings against us at Employment Tribunal for unfair dismissal. Our initial response was 'no, you are self employed'. But when our council HR and employment lawyers got involved they said that the way we had hired and paid the person was (a) wrong and (b) the person would probably be able to win a case at Tribunal because Tribunal would likely find that the he was in reality an employee, even though both he and we called him self employed. I'm not a lawyer but the issue was that just because school and "contractor" said it was self-employment didn't mean that legally it was self-employment. The law applies objective tests to decide if work is employment or self-employment - what you've called it, and how it's paid, isn't the last word on the matter. Knowing how jobs like the one you do work in practice I'd suspect that you legally you may be an employee - and so have all the protections of an employee - and not self employed. But you just telling the school this won't get you anywhere. You need a union lawyer or solicitor to fight your case.

I meant to add (as it's the question you asked in the thread title) that your rights do not, by and large, depend on whether the school has issued you with a written contract document. The school could not credibly argue that they had no contractual relationship with you - you've been doing work in the school for 0.5 of the week for 8 years and they paid you for 8 years! You obviously have a contractual relationship. The lack of a written document could even work in your favour in an employee -vs- self-employed argument. Don't worry about lack of a written document, consult an employment law professional for advice.

• Haha 1

the fly in the ointment to Ethels argument is that you invoice them. Basically you supply a service and are not employed. How you are paid regarding tax and NI may illuminate this a little more to determine whether it is employment or not, you may need to ask HMRC about your NI contributions and what class they are

the fly in the ointment to Ethels argument is that you invoice them. Basically you supply a service and are not employed. How you are paid regarding tax and NI may illuminate this a little more to determine whether it is employment or not, you may need to ask HMRC about your NI contributions and what class they are

That is why i did not mention that long term casual employment might mean they should be considered an employee with rights.

The invoice process suggests just being a contractor, paid after a relevant period.

Firstly, I'm not making the argument for anything, just sharing my experience of a very similar situation and recommending OP takes proper legal advice

Secondly, how OP invoices and is paid isn't a "fly in the ointment". How someone is paid is just one of the many factors that courts take into account in deciding whether someone is employed or self-employed. The sports instructor in the case I was involved with invoiced us, he even had a contract saying he was self-employed and responsible for his own tax, but the lawyers advice to us was clear that this counted for little when the job otherwise met none of the main legal criteria for self-employment.