Faulty Laptop Curry's PC world

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2442 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm looking for a bit of advice if possible.

I bought a laptop from curry's specifically to record music on, but within a budget and was advised to buy the HP pavilion 15 which was on offer.

It was very noisy in the store but I bought it on their recommendation.

After getting it home and switching it on,

I found it very noisy,

the fan and hard drive was quite loud.

the next day I posted on their facebook and they advised I take it back to the store, which I did the following day.

The guy on the knowhow desk wasn't very helpful, kept me waiting and letting a queue build up while he packed a box and then told me there is no way they would exchange it, and pointed out their policy on the wall!!

told me they could send it off for testing, but it sounded fine to him. (it was in a noisy store again!).

The thing is, i'd locked myself out too somehow and had to take it home, wait to get my old laptop back and figure out how to reset the password.

It was easter and I was away for a week also.

feeling fed up it sat in a cupboard for a little while.

when I finally tried it again decided it was still noisy I contacted the technical team who agreed it sounded noisy over the phone and to take it back to store.

This time, I took it to a different store and the guy sent it off and it came back with a replaced fan as it was faulty.

My issue is that I wanted to exchange it

- which actually was within my rights,

but I was sent away being told they wouldn't do that and there was nothing wrong with it.

They did repair, but I'm still not happy that they sold me a faulty computer!!

Is there anything I can do? It was a couple of days over the 28 days when I took it back again.

Thanks for any advice.

Cat

Welcome to Currys and their poor customer services practice. Don't pay attention to company policies unless they happen to be better than your statutory rights. If curries are offering only a 28 day return on a faulty item then they are acting unlawfully because you had 30 days to assert your short-term right to reject and to claim a refund or replacement at your option.

I'm afraid that you have now lost this opportunity and as they have repaired it and you have accepted it, I don't think that there is anything you can do unless another fault develops. If a fault develops within six months of your purchase date then you are obliged to give them one opportunity to carry out a repair and if they refuse or if the repair is unsuccessful then you have the right to insist on refund.

As I see your story at the moment, I'm afraid that you have probably lost all your rights unless the computer goes wrong again.

I'm afraid that when you are dealing with these companies, it is fatal to give up even for a moment. You have to be persistent and energetic about it from the word go. It's a real shame that that's how it goes even with big companies which should know better and to whom the replacement of a cheap laptop makes up see no difference. They would rather fight you on your customer rights then worry about reputational risk and improving their customer service record.

Thank you for your reply and advice I really appreciate it. I was looking at the dates and I took it back the second time (after many phone calls and emails) on the 30th day. Does that make a difference? I didn't realise it had been repaired until I went to collect it from the shop. It doesn't sound any different with a new fan in also!

Thanks again.

under the consumer rights act [CRA] you have 30days to return any item that is faulty and get a full refund.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Walk into the store please, Tell them this is the 2nd time you are exercising your right to REJECT. Tell the manager the ONLY reason for talking to him is to use his name as reference into your finacila compensation.

"MR Manager REFUND me or I shall go further"

You have wasted about x4 trips. Cost of travel and personal time. if you are under employment that will be taken as cost.

£8 per hour wages = x4 trips. £32 + refund.

Question is are you willing to talk with a solictor?