Anticipating Action from HSBC

delicarik123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya all

Sorry I am new to this site so hope I am doin this right.

I want to firstly say having browsed around previously before joining i have found the information here extremely helpful.

I bank with HSBC and over many years have been charged bank charges which i feel are excessive,

only last month I was charged £225 in one month :eek: and when they took this from my account, it then took me over my overdraft and they began ringing me to ask why i had gone over my limit..

..i said i wouldn't have done if you hadn't have charged so much.

All I have had from HSBC over the last couple of years is hassle!

Just wondered what the procedure is to claim these back and can you still do it as I believe they were holding these until a case was heard?

Can anyone advise please?

Many Thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not really sure to be honest. I too have all of my statements for 1 account which I am wading through whilst I wait for my SAR details to arrive, I have 8 accounts to claim for so I SAR 'd the lot! Have you looked at the guide to claiming bank charges? There is also a spreadsheet template to use to work out the charges and interest. I think it's really important to follow the guide, do everything in order so the bank know you're serious.

Hi delicarik :)

A second Welcome to the Consumer Action Group !!

Yes, these charges are unfair and you can claim them back. Having said that, Bank Charges are subject to an appeal in the house of lords at the moment. There is a lot of information on the site about this.

You need to send a SAR so you have all the information HSBC have on you, you need to know what unauthorized interest they have charged you, because you should be able to reclaim that too.

There's a few links in my Sig. to get you started and I dare say the HSBC experts will be along soon. As Nunny has said read all you can, it will all help down the line !!

Hope this helps,

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Many thanks Lex, and thanks for the welcome.

i am trying to look through it all and understand it. I have filled out the form for all the charges i have incurred, not so bothered about the interest they have overcharged to be honest.

Does anyone know how long this appeal thing is going to take? and if i send in my request for my charges back will it still go back to 2003 if the appeal is not imminently going to have a decision?

hope i made sense! lol

Many thanks x

Hi Again, :)

i am trying to look through it all and understand it. I have filled out the form for all the charges i have incurred, not so bothered about the interest they have overcharged to be honest

If your going back to 2003 do you realize that the overdraft interest inflicted on the 'Unfair Charges' may well be more than the charges themselves !! :eek: This is your money !!

You can go back at least 6 years from the time you were aware the charges where 'unfair'

Re. The Test Case. We expect a answer this month, there's still a way to go before the banks keel over. You do need to get your case in front of the courts asap. So, SAR. Prelim letter asking for it back. Letter before Action, put them under warning. Then you file form N1 at court.

I think you really do need to send a SAR, and lets see if it turns up anything else you don't know about.

Lex

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

In fact, if you can get the information out of them, you can go back to 1995. Another good reason to send them a full SAR, dont give them any dates, just ask for everything they hold on you !!

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-

Lex

&

Thanks for that, although I have statements online goin back to 2001. as i have gone further back the charges got less and less anyway so i think i will go for the ones i have because as i have used the simple spreadsheet I have calculated over 4k of charges and with the interest its over 5k. i will be more than happy with this.

So if i use the letter requesting repayment and send them the spreadsheet this is ok? i havent missed anything have i?

Thanks x

Hi delicarik, I know its maybe a duanting to even start thinking about making a claim but the more I read around these forums and see the situations people find themselves in I think that most problems actually have started from bank charges.

Please please please do be bothered about the interest they have charged - the banks have used this money to make profit, not just the amount they have unfairly taken from you but to re-invest.

Thanks for that, although I have statements online goin back to 2001. as i have gone further back the charges got less and less anyway so i think i will go for the ones i have because as i have used the simple spreadsheet I have calculated over 4k of charges and with the interest its over 5k. i will be more than happy with this.

So if i use the letter requesting repayment and send them the spreadsheet this is ok? i havent missed anything have i?

Thanks x

Your on the right track :)

Although I begrudge letting them off with a penny :rolleyes:

When you send in your request for payment and your LBA, you don't show the interest on the speadsheet. Thats comes when you file at court.

Well done so far !!

Lex

&

Yes, in the first instance, your asking for your charges only. We put the interest on when we get to the N1 stage.

Your certainly not being thick, remember the only daft question is the one you don't ask !! :D

Lex

&

If you are loosing your deposits due to charges then stop putting deposits in the HSBC account - OPEN a Parachute Account with somebody else & have you deposits paid into there, HSBC crooks cannot then touch them, are you receiving benifits in the deposits to HSBC, if so they are not allowed to use a proportion of benifit as they go to priority debts, sure somebody else will be along to clarify if I am right?????

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Yes, in the first instance, your asking for your charges only. We put the interest on when we get to the N1 stage.

Your certainly not being thick, remember the only daft question is the one you don't ask !! :D

Lex

As far as charges go ADD interest charges i. 18+ % or what they are charging you on your statement onto the initial spreedsheet, then if you go the Court Route you charge a further 8% as statute rate on top.???

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

thanks

I have decided to ask them for all the info they have on me ... if i am going to claim, may as well do the lot ! :D

so once they send me all the info i will be able to try and work out exactly what interest they have also charged me...i hope lol

I wonder if on my statements it will show me what the charges are for, as on the ones online it just says charges/total charges but does not specify...

thing i find funny, they chase you for £7 overdrawn, yet if they had not taken so much off me for charges then i would not be overdrawn at all!

I have a fall back with accounts as my husband has his own, however he is also going to try and claim back from them.

i have had defaults etc in the past, hope i can open another account somewhere.....

Thanks for all your help so far x

are you receiving benifits in the deposits to HSBC, if so they are not allowed to use a proportion of benifit as they go to priority debts, sure somebody else will be along to clarify if I am right?????

I too have also heard this in the past, and i know for sure that they have taken money from it, luckily it is only tax credits and very little of them....

I have decided to ask them for all the info they have on me ... if i am going to claim, may as well do the lot ! :grin:

You go girl - so pleased to hear that

so once they send me all the info i will be able to try and work out exactly what interest they have also charged me...i hope lol

Loads of help here - my bank statements show the interest

I wonder if on my statements it will show me what the charges are for, as on the ones online it just says charges/total charges but does not specify...

my bank statements show "unauth'd borr. fee" and "unpaid item" so easy peasy

thing i find funny, they chase you for £7 overdrawn, yet if they had not taken so much off me for charges then i would not be overdrawn at all!

That's 1 of the main arguments!

I have a fall back with accounts as my husband has his own, however he is also going to try and claim back from them.

yay!

i have had defaults etc in the past, hope i can open another account somewhere.....

No problem, I have opened a credit only account with another bank. Tis the only account I use now

Thanks for all your help so far x

:D

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifAre you letting your bank keep your money Are you giving away thousands of pounds??

Many people aren't claiming all of the money they are entitled to when they make their bank charges claims.

You have been forced to pay unfair bank charges.

Have you forgotten that your bank has charged you inteest on those charges?

If you are overdrawn and the bank owes you charges - then your overdraft is made up of charges - money which you bank owes you.

Yet you are paying interest to the bank - on your own money!!! - a nice little earner for your bank.

Follow this link to see the discussions on this.

You might even double the size of your claim.

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

As far as charges go ADD interest charges i. 18+ % or what they are charging you on your statement onto the initial spreedsheet, then if you go the Court Route you charge a further 8% as statute rate on top.???

Correct Mike,

The spread sheet to send with a prelim letter should show All charges and the interest you have been charged. We then add at the court stage 8% interest on all of it !!

&

Thanks again for replies.

Next question lol can you claim for charges from credit cards? just i see major banks on here but not credit card companies.

Can i also just say that, should I be successful with anything I claim, I will be sure to donate on here, as I think it is the best thing I have ever joined up to, and without this help I wouldn't even know where to begin :)

Indeed you can go after your credit cards and whats more, they are not part of the test case !!!

You will find a list of CC claims here :-

Other Institutions - The Consumer Forums

Lex

&

Thats right Deli,

Special Delivery for all paperwork. Don't forget to enclose your £10 cheque or postal order, you may get this back as a GOGW.

Please do get after those Credit Cards, you serial litigant you...:grin:

Lex

&

:D

I am going to look into the credit cards too, I have already asked them for all the information they hold on me, send them off at weekend, just a bit worried now as I didn't send them ones recorded. Nevermind, should I not received replies i shall send them recorded...

Letter to HSBC going recorded today :)

i have started now...there is no stopping me :D