Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder pacmanman Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : May 2017

Default Bought Misleading Online Course Based In USA

Hi all,

I am really sorry but I do not know where to put this.

I bought an online course. It had a no refund policy and was based in the USA. After going through it - I have realised that the claims made in the sales pitch were very misleading and some were lies. As what is stated in the course is quite different to what is stated in the salespitch.

I asked for a refund and was told flat out that it would not happen and then was told that everything I said was wrong - my perception and the facts and that he could prove it. Then was told he would not respond to anymore messages about it.

I have spoken to several other people who have felt mislead too. They have been successful at taking the company to small claimsicon in the USA. In fact there seems to be quite the awful trail if you look for it online.

I have contacted my credit card company about this and I am waiting to hear back. The amount was £600.

As the company is in the USA - what can I do about this? Will the credit card company help me or do I need to do something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I get that they had a no refund policy which would have been fine if the salespitch hadn't basically lied. I know the UK law does specify that marketing should not be misleading etc...however as this is a USA company I am not sure how to deal with it.

And yes I know I was dumb and it is the first time I have fallen for this crap and I am disappointed in myself but well live and learn and I know it won't happen again.

Gold Account Holder BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2009

Default Re: Bought Misleading Online Course Based In USA

Your credit card provider is equally liable for this mis-sellingicon (under section 75 protection), so to avoid the complications of it being a US company: You've done the right thing:
    a) asking the company for a refund, and
    b) informing the credit card company.

Given the company has refused a refund, if the credit card company do as well, threaten the credit card company with taking a small claimsicon action out against them in the UK

Purchases from abroad are covered, so don't be put off.

What I'm unsure of is the potential 'wrinkle' that if you do have to issue a 'small claims track' claim,
    the card issue may refer you to the T's & C's of the purchase,
    so if there is a term regarding applicable law.

They won't be able to argue jurisdiction (that it should be heard by a US court), since you aren't suing the US company but the UK card provider ..
    ... but they might try to argue that any assessment of misrepresentation should be heard according to US law.

owever, they'll likely settle before then (the cost to the card provider involved with it going to the initial arbitration stages the card provider will be required to use by MasterCard or Visa will make them likely to settle a claim for £600-odd that has a good chance of success before it reaches that stage).

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

yep go do a section 75 reclaim

dx

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

name the company too

dx

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

So I finally got a reply from my credit card company and they said this:

"In this instance we have no clear evidence of a breach of contract or misrepresentation by the merchant, the points you have raised regarding the marketing content are subjective to interpretation by each individual and their personal opinions.

As there can only be a valid claim under Section 75 if it can be evidenced that there has been a breach of contract or misrepresentation from the merchants we would be unable to progress your claim."

I don't really get how they can say that.

I sent them the marketing video and pointed out the false claims made compared to the actual content received. They aren't subjective because the content given isn't what is said they would give in the video and marketing material.

I sent an independent report from a company who assessed the claims versus the content too.

I have also spoken to several other people who have gotten refunds due to the misrepresentation.

So what do I need to do next?

Thanks for you help

Gold Account Holder BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative

Send them a letter before actionicon, noting they have 14 days to reconsider, or you will ask a court to decide. Only send this if you are willing to carry this through if they don't reconsider.

If they don't refund you, issue a county courticon (small claims track) claim, holding the credit card company equally liable for the misrepresentation, and allow a court to decide if you are correct that there was misrepresentation, or that they are correct that there wasn't.

Thanks for the help. I don't feel like the evidence I gave was subjective but am wondering if there is someone I could get to look it over beforehand? Obviously..the fact that this same information was given to other card companies who instantly refunded made me assume that it is enough evidence. So not sure.

Hi
    I have sent my letter before actionicon today. They gave me the tesco complaints address to send it to...which is glasgow based. Is this going to be a problem for a small court claim? Does it need to be an England address?

I have a feeling I will be putting the claim in in a few weeks time so want to make sure that it being a glasgow address is ok? I am not sure what other place I am suppose to send the court claim - they just told me the complaints address.

Thanks for the help

that's ok

ok thank you

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

No, the matter will be decided in a court near to whwre you live so english law will decide. Tesco are a UK based co that act under english law so being in scotland wont change anything

I got a text message from Tesco a week or so ago...saying they would respond.

It's been over the time I alloted them

today I was about to set up the small claimsicon thing
    - hwoever I got another text message from Tesco saying sorry their response is taking longer than I wanted.

So do I wait?
    And how much more time should I give them?

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

why a text message to a written letter?

I would be inclined to phone whoever it is sending the texts and tell them thatyou expect a written response as required under Civil Procedureicon or it goes to a claim withour further notice.

the do just that rather than make more noise.

You could phone and ask for their litigation dept to get a name or it will be sent to the name of the CEO of Tesco's as he is responsible for everything legally speaking

I received a lettericon response this morning that they are uoholding the decision...so next step I guess is small claimsicon. I don't really get it considering I know people have received refunds from their card companies. I sent all the same information.

Any advice on how to word it?

Thanks

Also I think the problem is..when I asked for a refund, access to the course was taken away so I can't show the difference between course material and the salespage - is this the problem do you think. Not sure why others are able to get refunded on the same information though.

If they’ve removed your access to the course earlier than the contract allows : that alone is grounds for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by BazzaS View Post
    If they’ve removed your access to the course earlier than the contract allows : that alone is grounds for a refund.
    Well Tesco do not seem to care so just going to pursue small claimsicon now. Hopefully they will look at it properly. Tesco were not interested in any of the information or the additional information I could have provided.

I will name the course name. It is an Anthony Morrison course. Fan Page Domination. All his advertising says FREE method - he even has high profile people endorsing it - but it is all a lie. The material doesn't reflect it whatsoever. There are just over 1000 members in his facebook group for it and not one success story - if someone feels misled their message gets deleted.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details