Landlord threatening court action for access for gas safety certificate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Landlord, a housing association, is threatening legal action for access to examine a gas boiler in my rooms. I think that the application would go before a magistrates court. My question is do I get notice so I can defend the case?

There is no gas boiler in my rooms. The landlord knows this. I have reminded them several times and they don't seem to believe me. It is a case of administrative chaos rather than deliberate harassment. Any ideas, please?

Who's the HA?

Use their complaints process, speak with your housing officer and drag them inside and show them there is no such gas boiler.

Are you fully electric then?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

My Landlord, a housing association, is threatening legal action for access to examine a gas boiler in my rooms. I think that the application would go before a magistrates court. My question is do I get notice so I can defend the case?

There is no gas boiler in my rooms. The landlord knows this. I have reminded them several times and they don't seem to believe me. It is a case of administrative chaos rather than deliberate harassment. Any ideas, please?

Have you a gas supply and any gas appliances that need to be checked every 12 months !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Even if your property does not have a gas supply, a minor gas leak may be suspected in locality or just precautionary, given the recent devastating gas explosion in N West

If you have nothing to hide, why not just accept inspection & let HA waste their time & money?

Best not to be vexatious.

My last T who refused a GSC inspection was served a s21.

Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, your HA / landlord are legally required to have a gas safety check done on your property every 12 months. A bit of paper from their chosen contractor stating that they are satisfied there is nothing to check will fulfil their legal requirements; correspondence from yourself will not have the same effect.

They should have copies of the previous year's certificate (believe they have to keep them for 2 years) which should show that there was nothing there last year, but like a car's MOT certificate, it's only really a record of what was done/checked that specific day - things can still go wrong in the meantime. In this case, gas appliances can be fitted at any time in the year and your HA has to ask for access for the gas checks every year because things do sometimes change. It's worth mentioning you can ask for copies of previous gas safety certificates, but they won't help you in this particular argument.

You haven't mentioned the type of accommodation you live in, but if you are living in an area where you are in close proximity to other residents (e.g. a flat), it's not just for yours and their benefit - it's for that of your neighbours too, as mariner51 above alludes to.

There are lots of battles worth fighting - but this really isn't one of them.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.

Hi

I have to agree with Good Sister for that excellent advice there are battles worth fighting and the easiest and most simple solution to this is to grant them access as the contractor then has to do a Gas Safety Inspection and has to report there findings to the HA (Landlord Gas Safety Certificate which you should get a copy of) and that the contractor has to be Gas Safety Registered. https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Are you sure you have no Gas Supply to your property? (some HA like my own have dual fuel i.e. I could fit either an electric or gas cooker)

What Meters do you have for the property? (Electricity or Gas or both)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group