Interest on money taken when no service was supplied

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am thinking of making a small claims court case against British Gas.

After paying them as a residential customer for nine years I tried to transfer my account to Scottish Power. Eventually it transpired that my flat was shipperless (there was no supplier) and British Gas therefore refunded me ~£7,000 they had charged me over the years. They refused to tell me how this amount was calculated saying that the information was archived.

I think they should pay me interest on the money they have refunded which would come to nearly £1000. Do you think the court would entertain this? I went to the Energy Ombudsmen and they agreed with British Gas that as I had got free gas for nine years no interest was payable.

In my opinion this is a separate matter, another unknown gas company was supplying me and were too useless to charge me and have now lost the right to do so. Lucky me! That doesn’t make it OK for British Gas to take my money for a service they did not supply without compensation for inflation over the years. BG took my money they had no right to and would have earned interest while it was sitting in their bank account.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

M

Are you able to look at your bank statements to see how much your Direct Debits were to ensure you have been refunded the full amount?

I am not sure about interest though - whilst you are correct - they would have earned interest on the money you have parted with - however, you have had free gas for that period of time.

It will be interesting to see what other caggers think :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have you considered sending a Subject Access Request to British Gas? They would then have to get any statements out of their archives to comply !

It will cost you £10.00 and they have 40 calendar days in which to comply.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hmm, thanks for the replies CitizenB, I guess I will have to let my entirely rational hatred of British Gas go and draw a line under the ordeal they inflicted on me.

Unfortunately I don't have my bank and gas statements going back the full 10 years, after all even the tax man doesn't expect you to keep them that long!

I was more interested in charging them interest but as no one agrees with me I'll give it up, would hate to lose to them in court.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

you didnt know you had a reason to chase them so you cant ask for interest on the money. If you asked them 10 years ago and they told you a story that wasnt true then you would be entitled to interest as well.

You could possibly claim interest on any monies paid after you tried to switch if they refused to let you go but it will be a very small amount.