schools rights on confiscation

nigel1804
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son was recently caught using his phone in school.

He wasn't in a class full of stdents and im all for disapline in schools and i a gree he should not have been using it in school.they. took the phone from him and confiscated it.

the only thing is that when I went uo to the school to ask for the phone at the end of the day they refused to let me have it back. they said they were allowed to confiscate it from us all .

now does anyone else know of this its not a band weapon noer a danger to student safety. she said that when we agreed to my son coming to this school we agreed to this law. not that i know of and i agree to the confiscation in scool but not to them confiscating it for 24hours solid

is this right anyone are the Gorse acadamy teachers allowed to play this part in our society.

Best part of this hypocritical lot the teacher who found him on the phone was actually on the phone at the time.

HALIFAX CURRENT ACCOUNT SETTLED IN FULL 9/9/06.

N1 form completed 05-06-07,LBA sent 14-05-07,2nd go!Prelim sent 24/04/07

Halifax Visa 1.Paid in full

Halifax Classic.Paid in full.

LBA sent 14-05-07,GMAC prelim sent 24/04/07

Data Protection Act for halifax mortgage 16/09/06.

http://cag.tw/226k

Article in the Telegraph has a list of what schools can and cant do. Your query is the first in the list - the school can confiscate the phone, but it must be returned at the end of the day.

and another.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/education/school-education/problems-at-school/

Confiscation of items

This information applies only to schools in England and Northern Ireland.

Disciplinary penalties may include confiscation and/or disposal of items like MP3 players or mobile phones. The confiscation has to be reasonable in the circumstances. For example, government guidance states that if a pupil is playing loud music on a personal music player, it would be reasonable to take it away and return it at the end of the day. But it would not be reasonable to destroy it.

Whilst the destruction of the item in your case doesn't apply - it does appear that it should be returned at the end of the day.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Many thanks for this advise citizenb yes thank you I have seen this item but the school say they have the right to keep the phone for 48hrs

Even from me.

that has to be legally wrong surely

she said that we agreed to the rules by letting my son go to the school in the first place WHAT! Im all for the rules of in school discipline but you have now right to keep my goods against my will as an adult or a parent of a child

regards

rose1804

Rose, perhaps you should ask for a copy of the contract/rules that you were supposed to have agreed to - you want a copy of the document from the time that your child actually started at the school and not the latest edition !

BCOBS

I asked for an agreement that I had signed showing just such an agreement and all she said was that i agreed to the terms of all this by the fact that my son had come to this school.

What part of it didnt she get .she said i could call the police it wouldn't make any difference as they agree with them.they had it last week with someone else the police came and they said they were right. don't think so do you. There was nothing untoward about the phone nor did they have reason to search it for anything just the point that he was on it.Ironic hypocritical point was that the teacher taking the class that confiscated the phone had been on her phone prior to taking his phone off of him

thanks citizenb

In my days we didn't have phones, but we had football stickers and marbles.

If I got them confiscated I wouldn't even tell my dad, otherwise he would throw the marbles in my head one by one (and we used to have lots).

Why don't you side with the school and teach your son a lesson?