• Tweets

• Yes, Hotpoint UK has been a subsidiary of Whirlpool for over 20 years. And unlike some domestic goods manufacturers you can buy from them direct and I believe they employ their own service engineers, Is that your situation? You bought direct from Hotpoint and Hotpoint sent out their own engineer?
    • It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Police Officer with Personal Vendetta?!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Recently I received a letter from the local force with an accusation of me going through a red light at a pedestrian crossing.

This letter was simply asking who was driving at the time.

However,

the very odd this about this letter was that it arrived within less than 32 hours of the supposed incident, 2nd class.

Of course,

I responded to say that I would have been driving at the time.

I then didn't hear anything further for 6-8 weeks,

until I got a call from an officer wanting to come to the house to discuss the incident.

Having spoken to the officer,

it turns out that he was the one who witnessed said offence while off duty but has a dash cam

(he tells me I actually braked for a yellow light and then took my foot off and went through on yellow).

Now,

to me it seems very odd that an off duty police officer witnessing and reporting an incident would also be the one dealing with it.

It very much feels like a conflict of interest and that he should be a witness only and that a different officer should progress it.

I also find it odd that the supposed offence was reported and a "who was driving letter" appeared so quickly.

To me this suggests that I did something other than go through a yellow light to upset the officer,

I suspect using the second lane of a dual carriage way to go round him (perfectly legal to do) could be the reason.

he came to the house to caution me and tell me that I should expect a court summons.

Does anyone feel that this is a conflict of interest and that the police officer is acting alone with an emotional response to something I'd done?

Is there anything I can do about it?

Also,

am I legally entitled to see the dashcam footage before pleading guilty/not guilty?

Yellow means "stop, unless in doing do you would likely cause an accident or if you had already passed the stop line".

Have you received a summons / single justice procedure document?.

If so, what (exactly) is the alleged offence?. Ideally you should try and find out what is being alleged (red light or yellow light) as if the light was yellow you may have the defence of not being able to stop safely in time.....

It would be up to the CPS if they wished to rely on the dashcam footage, or just the police officer's testimony. The dashcam was the same as a dashcam that you or I would have, unlike the camera in an official police vehicle.

If they wished to enter it in evidence then the CPS would have to disclose it in the list of evidence they wished to rely on.

In terms of "should the same police officer investigate" and "he should be a witness only and that a different officer should progress it.", if another officer had to investigate every time an officer witnessed an incident, it'd be chaos. If the officer had been on duty and had stopped you there would be no doubt ; the same officer would be dealing with it, so this on its own is a non-starter.

What were the details of the caution he gave when " he came to the house to caution me and tell me that I should expect a court summons."?

I'd wait and see if a summons / SJP notice appears ... and then go from there.

Hi Bazzas,

I haven't received a summons as yet but the "Who was driving" stated that I had gone through a red light at a pedestrian crossing". It was the officer who then told me that it was a yellow light and that I had braked for it and then unbraked and went through on yellow. I did suggest to him that if that was the case, its highly likely that I deemed that I couldn;t have stopped in time safely and therefore chose to take my foot off the brake, to which he responded "You'll have to take that up with the courts".

The dashcam was in his own personal car so must be a home use one. I guess I'll have to wait for the summons. In which case, will that letter state the evidence? And again, am I entitled to see a copy of that before making a plea? if so, how to I go about obtaining it before the court case?

I think you should make an official complaint about the conduct of this officer.

They can't use dashcam from their private vehicle when they were off duty at the time.

The conduct of this officer should be questioned by Police and for them to justify it.

Don't wait until you get a summons.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that one.

A police officer is a police officer 24/7 on duty or off.

Whilst the use of a (private) dashcam might be unusual it's certainly not unheard of,

ultimately the (alleged) offence has been witnessed by a police officer even if you discount the dashcam.

It most certainly wouldn't be any kind of misconduct.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

I was told by a Police Officer that they have to be careful even on duty,

if they witness any offence while working alone.

The Officer would have to fully comply with their conduct rules in this situation and i don't believe private dashcam can be used in the way it was.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I think you should make an official complaint about the conduct of this officer. They can't use dashcam from their private vehicle when they were off duty at the time.

The conduct of this officer should be questioned by Police and for them to justify it.

Don't wait until you get a summons.

Can't say I agree with you on that one. The CPS can use the footage from the camera same as they can use footage from CCTV cameras, ATM cameras, mobile phone footage of crimes. It's all the same thing.

What I do find strange is that the officer felt the need to come to your house personally to talk to you, especially after you already received a letter in the post about it. Were you given anything to sign? A process book or FPN? If not what was the purpose of his visit? Must be a tragic officer. Very strange for someone to go to all this for someone going though a yellow light when they were off duty!!

The CPS can use the footage from the camera same as they can use footage from CCTV cameras, ATM cameras, mobile phone footage of crimes.

Indeed, dash cam footage was key in this prosecution: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-39706454/force-gains-first-dashcam-prosecution

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Yellow light, off duty officer, personal visit???

He's having a laugh.

Tell him that you recall the incident whereby a car (his) had been tailgating you and you couldn't have stopped safely at the yellow light.

I agree that a complaint should be made.

The driver in that footage is a proper mug!

With so many dashcams about and people taking pleasure in screwing others, overtaking like that was a bad move and very dangerous too.

Imagine if the driver on the car turning left had not understood his intentions and turned...

Tell him that you recall the incident whereby a car (his) had been tailgating you and you couldn't have stopped safely at the yellow light.

Let me see if I've got this straight in my own mind. You're advising the OP to (potentially) lie?

So that if it goes to court and if the dashcam footage is admitted as evidence, the OP could possibly be convicted of perjury instead of a minor traffic light offence.

That can't be right surely?

• Haha 1

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Yellow light, off duty officer, personal visit???

He's having a laugh.

I agree that a complaint should be made.

You talk some crap sometimes.

Amber light. Its an offence to drive through it. Read here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/light-signals-controlling-traffic

A cop is still a cop, on duty or off.

He witnessed a criminal offence, and when back in uniform, pursued it.

Dash cam is perfectly legal to use as evidence in ANY court proceedings or prosecution.

Whether the judge allows it is a different matter.

And finally, you state that he should lie, to a cop taking notes, on an official visit? Are you serious?

Maybe the personal visit was just to make a point,

and attitudes were not to his liking,

lessons were not being learned,

so the cop though, screw it, see you in court.

Essentially, the driver broke the law (if the cop and dash cam are to be believed) and he needs to deal with it if it goes to court.

To the OP, I would seriously ignore King.

Your defence could be on the grounds that you tried to stop and it was unsafe to do so,

but if they watch the cam footage and you clearly had plenty of time and slammed on and then went through anyway,

you might find this worse than running a red light.

Thats a bit of careless driving there.

Maybe even dangerous if other road users were close enough to be affected by your driving.

• Haha 1

Let me see if I've got this straight in my own mind. You're advising the OP to (potentially) lie?

So that if it goes to court and if the dashcam footage is admitted as evidence, the OP could possibly be convicted of perjury instead of a minor traffic light offence.

That can't be right surely?

Welcome to the world as king sees it.

Thats a it of careless driving there. Maybe even dangerous if other road users were close enough to be affected by your driving.

Careless driving v. Driving without due care & attention relies on whether other road users being affected occurred.

Careless v. Dangerous driving doesn't rely solely on whether other road users were affected.

An individual could be charged with dangerous driving even if they were the only one exposed to danger.

Careless : below the standard of the carefully & competent driver.

Dangerous driving : far below the standard of a careful & competent driver [and it would be clear to a careful & competent driver that it would be dangerous]

You can laugh, but eventually someone will be gullible enough to listen to your bulls**t and land themselves in more trouble. Whilst you sit back lolling at them.

Is anyone ever being convicted of passing an amber light?

Who can really judge if it is safe to stop or not?

Only the actual driver of the car can make that judgement in the split second it takes for the lights to go from green to amber.

I too think that this pc got upset for some other reasons and is after a personal vendetta, anyone with half a brain wouldn't care about a 50/50 non offence.

If it was a red light i would understand, but yellow is a bit strange.

Op, do you drive a nice car?

Some people are jealous of others and this might be the case.

You said you overtook him on double carriageway, did he show any form of anger at being passed?

Now seriously I would ask to see the footage in order to judge what's there.

I don't know if they'll let you have it or not, but it seems unfair that someone can be prosecuted for this.

What if you didn't remember the event?

Do they have to show the video to you before you enter a plea?

More dangerous sometimes to stop suddenly on a amber light. You have to make a judgement call.

I can't see the Police backing the conduct of their officer in this case, if they have not gone through the correct process. Hence why a complaint should be made and a supervising officer can then see what has happened.

Shame that Oldbill does post to CAG very often, as he would know more about this.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your responses...There's some questions in there so i'll answer them.

I actually don't recall the alleged incident, certainly nothing of note or consequence springs to mind.

I see a lot of bad and slow drivers on the stretch and so I can only think that I've simply used the 2nd lane to go around them (which me and many many other drivers do) and that he's taken offence at it.

I do drive a nice car yes.

The visit was to "have a chat" at which point he cautioned me and told me to expect a summons. Not sure if this is standard practice?!?

There's one question I could really do with understand though is if I do receive a summons, am I legally entitled to review the dashcam footage before entering a plea? I am wondering if he's chancing that I don't challenge it?

Hi All,

Many thanks for your responses...There's some questions in there so i'll answer them.

I actually don't recall the alleged incident, certainly nothing of note or consequence springs to mind.

I see a lot of bad and slow drivers on the stretch and so I can only think that I've simply used the 2nd lane to go around them (which me and many many other drivers do) and that he's taken offence at it.

I do drive a nice car yes.

The visit was to "have a chat" at which point he cautioned me and told me to expect a summons. Not sure if this is standard practice?!?

There's one question I could really do with understand though is if I do receive a summons, am I legally entitled to review the dashcam footage before entering a plea? I am wondering if he's chancing that I don't challenge it?

Don't be put off by some of the negative comments above, about off duty Police and private dashcam evidence.

You seem to be waiting for the summons and then to respond. That is going to mean defending at Magistrates, when no doubt you can ask to see the Dash cam footage in advance.

If it were me, i would be challenging it now, by making a complaint. You might then have no summons to deal with.

Many years ago i had an issue with an officer over a driving offence ( only one in over 30 years driving). They had made a mistake with the information. I complained about it , spoke to the officer and it was withdrawn. Sonetimes if you go about these issues in the right way and are not intimidated, you will succeed.

You would be doing the Police a favour by complaining, so they can decide whether they want to pursue it or not and possibly save time and money.

See, this is the problem I have. I'm a law abiding citizen but have very little faith in the police these days.

So I'm really here trying to gauge what my options are. I certainly don't believe I've done anything to endanger pedestrians or other motorists and don't believe that I could have gone through an amber light that was verging red. If I have gone through on Amber, I would have deemed it that it was safer to go through than to stop (The officer has said I braked for the yellow light but then took my foot off the brake and went through which surely would corroborate this)

So really what i'm trying to ascertain is, has the officer done anything wrong, out of the ordinary or unorthodox that I could make a formal complaint about?

Whether it be:

* Processing the accusation so quickly that he must have jumped the queue. In all likelihood, he went straight into the station at the time and opened the case

* Handling the case himself even though he is the witness while off duty

* Visiting my house

* Refusing me access to the video (I used the local police website to contact him and request a copy of it)

So at which point, can I make a complaint or is there anyone in the force I can speak to to understand if its being processed correctly? I'm also afraid that police forces can be like an old boys club where if you make a complaint against on, you end up with a target on your back.

See, this is the problem I have. I'm a law abiding citizen but have very little faith in the police these days.

So I'm really here trying to gauge what my options are. I certainly don't believe I've done anything to endanger pedestrians or other motorists and don't believe that I could have gone through an amber light that was verging red. If I have gone through on Amber, I would have deemed it that it was safer to go through than to stop (The officer has said I braked for the yellow light but then took my foot off the brake and went through which surely would corroborate this)

So really what i'm trying to ascertain is, has the officer done anything wrong, out of the ordinary or unorthodox that I could make a formal complaint about?

Whether it be:

* Processing the accusation so quickly that he must have jumped the queue. In all likelihood, he went straight into the station at the time and opened the case

* Handling the case himself even though he is the witness while off duty

* Visiting my house

* Refusing me access to the video (I used the local police website to contact him and request a copy of it)

So at which point, can I make a complaint or is there anyone in the force I can speak to to understand if its being processed correctly? I'm also afraid that police forces can be like an old boys club where if you make a complaint against on, you end up with a target on your back.

I think you may come from a profession where you have tick x number of boxes before you can take certain actions.

Remember you are an ordinary member of the public and you are not required to know every aspect of Police procedures.

When i made a complaint, i simply spoke to a Sargeant at the local station and he put me in touch with the officer who stopped me. I then had a reasonable conversation with the officer and he withdrew it. I did say that if necessary, i would have to escalate the complaint to his supervisory officer and he said it was not necessary, as he was withdrawing it, because i had pointed out what the problem was.

You have made points in your last post, which you need to put to the Police. This is a very unusual situation and needs to be considered by the Police before they take it further.

Weirdest point is that he visited your house.

He shouldn't need to do that in normal circumstances.

So you drive a nice car, regularly overtake from middle lane and let me guess... you are good looking.

I find the officer behaviour quite creepy and I would follow uncle's advice and complain .