DVLA V5C + Auction Bought

sectshun8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just bought my first car in the UK from a large auto auction and was curious about the V5C document. Do I really need the signature of the registered keeper (previous owner) if purchased through an auction where I have no contact with the previous owner at all? :???::???::???:

No. You can apply for a new V5 using the correct form from the post office.

Once applied for, it can take up to 6 weeks to come. Until you get the V5 though, youre unlikely to be able to tax it, so make sure its parked off the public roadway and declared as sorn until its taxed and insured.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Seriously?

I can't just go down to the post office with my V5C stuff, get the disabled tax status removed, and taxes paid, Insure it and be good to go? I obviously have no clue but why would I need to apply for a new V5? I bought a car to drive, not sit around for weeks.

I also have nowhere to park it other than on the public road in front of my house that I'm permitted for.

Edited by sectshun8

Do you mean the V5c/2?

Did the auction have the full v5? Or did it come without one. I prob misread originally .

If they had the v5 and they gave you a current v5C/2 slip then no you wont need the signature. If there was no v5 or you are using an old v5C/2 slip then you might have to apply

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I assume it's the full V5C?

Says UK reg Cert

Section 5 shows registered keeper details

Section 6 I assume I need to fill in completely

Section 7 NA as no changes

Section 8 declaration to be signed by both parties (of which will not be signed by registered keeper)

Section 9 is missing

Section 10 I assume I fill out completely (but need disabled status removed)

Surely what I have is good enough for the PO to accept, send off to DVLA, remove disabled status, and take my tax money? Then just insurance and bobs my uncle? Haha

If you have the correct v5c then they can remove the disabled tax and reinstate the correct one at the post office counter. Done it twice so far myself.

Does it have an MOT?

Yes, MOT done last month and good until the same time 2018. Have the doc for that.

All of this said and done, as my other half will be the new keeper... would there be any issue if everything is filled out and signed by her, and I took it to the PO to process? I happen to work literally 2mins from the PO and it would require her to take time off work so we are hoping I can do this for her. Just throwing that out there.

Edited by sectshun8

Then if the v5c2 is current you should have no issues at all. Just pop to the PO counter and you should be good.

• Confused 1

Absolutely no issue at the PO this afternoon. Changed the tax status, accepted my tax payment, took my V5C for post to DVLA in order to receive a new one with proper details. Allllll good. Now just to get insurance tonight and all set. PO staff was very helpful and knowledgeable of the situation, was very painless. Thx again!

Good to hear you had no probs :)