'Why I went to court for my disability payments'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

'Why I went to court for my disability payments'

The number of people going to court to try to win back a key disability benefit is expected to continue to rise this year, a leaked letter seen by the BBC suggests. We follow one woman who took her case to tribunal.

Debbie Neal was diagnosed with a rare kidney disease 10 years ago. She takes dozens of pills each morning to manage her symptoms - sickness, high blood pressure and seizures.

She may well need a transplant in future.

For the moment, she has to empty excess fluid from a tube attached to her stomach, and replace it with new liquid from a bag, five times a day.

"It is a burden," she tells the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme. "They say, 'Don't let it affect your life,' but you can only live your life to a point.

"I can't even remember what it was like not doing it."

READ MORE HERE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39745403

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It's an awful system. It should go back to the way it was. Yes, I only received lower mobility DLA, (about £36 a week less) but there was logic there.

There's no logic here at all. How can you decide in 30 minutes - 1 hour what someone's disabilities are really like? It was decided somehow, I don't have hearing problems because I wasn't saying pardon every 2 minutes. So, why the hell do I have so many letters from ENT / Audiology then?

DWP don't believe I have any difficulties communicating. Yet. the friend who was present and both parents will tell you the opposite.

I now find myself in the crap situation of my needs have changed; but knowing how illogical they are, (I've come across people who've said their conditions have become worse, informed DWP and they've lost everything) I may have to leave it.

Nystagmite - I imagine there are many people who are frightened to say their conditions have worsened JIC the assessors decide otherwise and the applicant will lose what they already have - so they simply stay under the radar - suffering !

Very wrong indeed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

Nystagmite I too have issues communicating at a normal level in the real world. Unless I can spend hours/days/weeks and sometimes months studying a response, 'live' conversations on standard topics crucify me big time,, but when allowed to study for a time I can deal with it. Probably like you I get very confused very quickly then turn mean, because I cannot be fully understood properly....

Here we can take time that others can do instantly, this is why it is difficult for us and I hate to use this word 'normal' people take it for granted that we too are 'normal' but sadly we are not...

citizenB: I fully agree with what you say, one day I can do a thing easily then the next I cannot, that is the long and short of it. Simply put if the DWP continue to assume that every condition is written down and EVERYONE is affected the same way then things will continue to deteriorate for the claimant.

We are not a book that states this IS what it is we are individuals and different as are our disabilities....

Simply put how can we prove a negative?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Most of what you're saying sounds familiar, Mikey. Unfortunately for me, I was seen on a "good day". The assessment did not take into account that there's a huge difference between sitting in a quiet room with 2 people (assessor and friend) and normal everyday life where you're sat in a room with maybe several people and quite a lot of noise. (such as doctor's waiting room) The latter being physically painful for me. But no, because the former is ok, I've got no such issues, apparently.

I have a long list of rare medical problems (I was even asked what one of them was...) and I know they don't have a clue what they are.

Like you, most of my conditions vary. DWP unaccepted this under DLA (they wrote this on my award notice) but not under PIP it seems. Everything appeared to be based on that one day when I appeared to be functioning ok. You can't make a decision based on that. My hospital letters pretty much stated the opposite. They were written over several appointments. (roughly 1-2 months apart)

Because of the way the questions were worded, (you have to word things in a certain way for me to understand them) it was assumed I have no problems with language. But my friend said I take things literally. Actually, most people who know me will tell you the same thing.