Costa..notice to quit ..mistakenly employed daughter before legal compulsory school leaving age.?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help, my daughter has been working for Costa since her 16th birthday September 2016 when she was issued her NI number with no issue, today she went into work as normal and was requested by the manager along with another staff member and handed a letter ( not on costa headed paper ) this is the letter.

As discussed today, it has been brought to my attention that i have been acting against company policy by employing you before you have reached the legal compulsory school leaving age.

As a result of this, i regret to inform you that i cannot continue to employ you at this time and am therefore issuing you notice to end your employment with immediate effect. I would like to stress that it is with regret that . I have to take this action and that this decision is no reflection of your performance. I would very much like you to re-apply to work with us once you have passed your official leaving age, IE you are old enough to legally leave full timr education ( even if you may or may not have chosen to stay on for further study )

As discussed, you will be paid 1 weeks full pay in lieu of notice and any accrued and outstanding holiday pay.

Yours Sincerely

Signed by the manager

The actions of this manager was shocking, my daughter had no information and was handed the letter and told to leave the shop, no discussion she has asked for a copy of the company hand book and her request has been refused by the manager.

My daughter is shell shocked the way this has been handled and not at any point was inform about this policy

My questions are:

1, Can the company refuse to issue company hand book.

2, If they are terminating her employment have they followed the check process

3, By issuing the letter along with another person who was also told to leave, with no formal notice nor any discussion this must be breaking some tyoe of employment law.

4, Has anyone ever heard any such law relating to employing staff aged 16

Any advice would be very helpful as my daughter is upset the why this has been handled and is feeling :mad2::mad2:

England? Correct, if she is not in education at the same time

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

1. won't help you, this is statute not company policy

2. under 2 years employment, they can pretty much fire at will

3. no

4. see link

Best get herself some education or an apprenticeship

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks for the link, she is due to start her apprenticeship in September, therefore if am reading this right she cannot be employed until she left school but can be employed part time when in her apprenticeship.

Has she looked at if Costa would offer her an apprenticeship?

They do have apprenticeships such as:

https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeship/-57239

She may be paid less, but she'd get the benefits of an apprenticeship, as well as solving the 'school leaving age' problem.

Her (previous) manager's comments might help her show her suitability, or they might even offer to be a referee for her.

Has she looked at if Costa would offer her an apprenticeship?

Oops : she has an apprenticeship, but starting in September,so that should read "if Costa would offer her an apprenticeship, currently"?