Investigation at work - taken over a year!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Completely spurious claim raised by a few junior member of staff. Without going into detail, they were doing something that they knew they shouldn't be and I reminded them of their responsibilities. Seems they took it badly and have got their heads together and formulated a complaint about something they've made up. Unfortunately, it happens a lot and staff know they can cause an awful lot of trouble by doing this.

That was a year ago. In that time, meetings get cancelled because someone is off sick or on holidays. HR are completely useless as are the union. I just want it sorted out. It just seems that no-one is particularly interested in getting this sorted.

Last straw was this week. I employed for a job in another area (with same employer). Went well and they offered me the job, pending reference from my manager. Unfortunately, manager had no choice but to advise the new department of the investigation. Offer was withdrawn. Although they deny this is the reason its obvious.

So because of this I've lost a job. What can I do to escalate this to force employer to get his sorted?

Hi - Sorry to hear about the issues you've been experience. I think people will need a few more details to be honest. Can you tell us, basically, what the allegation is? Is the allegation completely fabricated or is there a basis to it?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi - Sorry to hear about the issues you've been experience. I think people will need a few more details to be honest. Can you tell us, basically, what the allegation is? Is the allegation completely fabricated or is there a basis to it?

I dont have an issue but its probably not best to post on a public forum in case it gets recognised. Its not a serious issue really just silly tittle tattle about he said/she said sort of thing.

The allegation is completely fabricated.

I understand it still needs to be investigated but my big issue is with the time its taken and how disinterested everyone is with getting it all sorted. Its something that could be sorted out in 30 mins.

I think you need to get hold of the companies policy document or staff handbook on the process they follow in such situations. Make them comply with their own policy, by writing to HR insisting that they complete the process. It can't just be let to sit in employees records for an extended period without resolution.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think you need to get hold of the companies policy document or staff handbook on the process they follow in such situations. Make them comply with their own policy, by writing to HR insisting that they complete the process. It can't just be let to sit in employees records for an extended period without resolution.

Policy says "reasonable amount of time". How long is a piece of string? :-(

with the assistance of your union rep, raise a grievance about the amount of time for the case to be heard.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

well, you will just have to be brilliant yourself then! I am not sure there are many other options, asking them to progress informally is not working, so carrying on with the same action and expecting a different result seems pointless.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

you can go over union rep's head to regional officer via head office. Ideally get rep to do this for you and everyone looks good.

For most disciplinary matters there is a cut off of a year as far as things being kept live in your records etc so they will struggle to keep saying that this is under investiagtion. As for losing the move to another dept I doubt if it would be the only reason for not getting the post they were probably looking for an excuse to keep you where you are and so made excuses as they were not under any obligation to tell the new dept how rubbish they were at sorting their problems. It happens a lot, they give glowing references to those they want to lose

I think it's highly unlikely that the employing department gave a poor reference because they want to keep you. People they want to keep don't get suspended for a year! And I have no idea what this "cut off" after a year is - I have never heard such a thing, and have personally known many investigations to last a year or more. So I can see no reason why they would struggle to say it is under investigation - it is and it remains so.

I'm afraid that it is quite difficult to advise on this level of information. Without knowing the allegation and what the employer has done exactly. There is some case law - I'd have to try to dig it out as it's not standardly used - that is about lengthy suspensions and a form of professional restraint. But like much case law it is quite specific to a set of circumstances, and may be of little use.

Completely spurious claim raised by a few junior member of staff. Without going into detail, they were doing something that they knew they shouldn't be and I reminded them of their responsibilities. Seems they took it badly and have got their heads together and formulated a complaint about something they've made up. Unfortunately, it happens a lot and staff know they can cause an awful lot of trouble by doing this.

That was a year ago. In that time, meetings get cancelled because someone is off sick or on holidays. HR are completely useless as are the union. I just want it sorted out. It just seems that no-one is particularly interested in getting this sorted.

Last straw was this week. I employed for a job in another area (with same employer). Went well and they offered me the job, pending reference from my manager. Unfortunately, manager had no choice but to advise the new department of the investigation. Offer was withdrawn. Although they deny this is the reason its obvious.

So because of this I've lost a job. What can I do to escalate this to force employer to get his sorted?

I am rather confused. You haven't been suspended for over a year according to this post http://www..info/forums/showthread.php?96050-Written-job-offer-withdrawn-is-there-anything-I-can-do . Are you an IT contractor, or are you a suspended employee? Or are you working whilst suspended? If the latter, are you aware that doing so could be a dismissable offence in itself?

I am rather confused. You haven't been suspended for over a year according to this post http://www..info/forums/showthread.php?96050-Written-job-offer-withdrawn-is-there-anything-I-can-do . Are you an IT contractor, or are you a suspended employee? Or are you working whilst suspended? If the latter, are you aware that doing so could be a dismissable offence in itself?

I think he is under investigation but not suspended. It's very common for things unlikely to be GMC.

This site must auto-moderate out that other site (the one where I imagine dogs smoking cigarettes while wearing court dress .....), but a google search will reveal it), even if the reader doesn't guess it from the similar nature to here and it ending in .info .....

No doubt it is mere coincidence that both posters are "paulfoel" and have had family with health problems .....

I'm not registered on that LB site to check that paulfoel's posting history : are there other similarities?

I think he is under investigation but not suspended. It's very common for things unlikely to be GMC.

Ah yes, possibly. But in that case they are an IT contractor and not an employee - and a contractor cannot be investigated because they aren't an employee. Their client can terminate a contract with the contractor, or not; but an investigation is pointless - you cannot discipline or dismiss someone you don't employ. It would be helpful if the OP could clarify, because advice to an employee is totally didn't to that of a contractor.

This site must auto-moderate out that other site (the one where I imagine dogs smoking cigarettes while wearing court dress .....), but a google search will reveal it), even if the reader doesn't guess it from the similar nature to here and it ending in .info .....

No doubt it is mere coincidence that both posters are "paulfoel" and have had family with health problems .....

I'm not registered on that LB site to check that paulfoel's posting history : are there other similarities?

I wondered why the link didn't work. I thought it was me being an idiot! IT isn't my strong point!

But I don't know - for some reason my tablet never liked that site and wouldn't behave and load it properly. I gave up trying to log in in the end. It was a coincidence I saw the posts. But it doesn't matter really - it's just that I assumed the OP was an employee, and obviously the advice is totally different if he is a contractor.

Links to that site do not work on CAG...

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

you can go over union rep's head to regional officer via head office. Ideally get rep to do this for you and everyone looks good.

For most disciplinary matters there is a cut off of a year as far as things being kept live in your records etc so they will struggle to keep saying that this is under investiagtion. As for losing the move to another dept I doubt if it would be the only reason for not getting the post they were probably looking for an excuse to keep you where you are and so made excuses as they were not under any obligation to tell the new dept how rubbish they were at sorting their problems. It happens a lot, they give glowing references to those they want to lose

Dont think it was a bad reference. The form that the new dept sent to manager asked specifically if there was any investigation. I guess its a standard form.

I used to work in the education sector and the reverse refernce was commony used. Want to get rid of a sex pest? glowing reference. Godd lecturer wants to go to another uni- bad reference plus personal pressure from senoir who is on the governing body of the prospective employer. Someone useless at their job? pass them on to another dept rather than getting rid of them and give them glowing reference, New dept cant sasy no due to redundancy policy- can think of half a dozen instances at my own place of work.

I dont belive it wasnt true elsewhere, as I saw it in other industries in my time as a rep on the London Trades council (unions regional council)

Working not suspended. To avoid confusion this relates to a friend of mine not me but its was just easier doing it this way.

Not a great idea.

Firstly, people pick up on inconsistencies, so it makes it look like you can't "keep a story straight".

Secondly, you are posting "your version" of "their version of what they've told you".

Nothing wrong with saying "posting for a friend" instead of pretending it is you, but even better ; get them to create their own thread and post themselves!