Sainsbury's supermarket - false accusations of theft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2228 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

I hope someone can give me some advice, I am a loss as to what I can do.

In February I went to purchase my prescription and do a bit of shopping at a local Sainsbury's supermarket. Whilst at the pharmacy counter I noticed there were some avocados in a clear bag left by the side of the counter. I took this to mean someone had changed their mind and decided not to purchase them. I thought just what I had been looking for. I took the avocados (2) along with the rest of my shopping and proceeded to go to a cashier at the check out who scanned all my items and took payment.

A short while later I was on the bus making my way home when an unknown number showed up on my phone. It was the pharmacist from Sainsbury's store asking if I was still in the store, for a minute I panicked thinking I had left my bank card or wallet instore. The cashier proceeded to ask me if I had taken the avocados that were by the counter, I informed her I had and had paid for them, only to be put through to the security officer who accused me of stealing even though I informed them I had the receipt with the name of the cashier who had scanned my shopping showing the 2 avocados.

My initial reaction was anger because my personal information had been misused. I have since resolved this with the pharmacy, however Sainsbury's apologised and agreed their security officer had not followed store guidelines/policies when there is suspicion of theft. I was left humiliated on the bus as other passengers could hear me arguing that I had not stolen anything whilst the security officer informed me should this happen again the police will be called.

Sainsbury's initially offered me a goodwill gesture for £30 vouchers which I thought was adding insult to injury, they then offered me £100 vouchers which I refused to accept. I feel the stress I went through on that day which raised my anxiety levels warrants more than a £100 voucher. I have not been able to return to that Sainsbury's supermarket because I feel my every move will be monitored.

this incident affected my health for a while. I have sent them a LETTER BEFORE COURT but Sainsbury's responded by stating I did not have a case. I am sure the way I was treated was wrong as their own guidelines were not followed by the security guard?...Can someone help please...

Edited by silverfox1961
spacing

I did think about it but the accusations left me humiliated and so angry, I have never stolen in my life so to be falsely accused of stealing at the age of 42 is not okay. I am feeling like this will be dragged on by Sainsbury's and I am just worn out by the whole situation...

You sent a lba demanding more £100 because you think that's what you deserve as compensation? No judge would ever rule in favour of that.

Take the £100 And let it go. That's well above and beyond what they should have given. If you carry on with legal action you'll likely be offered nothing and could lose in court. Especially if Sainsbury's lawyers say they already offered considerable compensation.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi,

I'm afraid I agree with the other posters here with one exception.I would want a written apology as well as the vouchers. Taking action through the courts will be a futile gesture as you could have ended the call at any time. As you continued with the call on a bus, you didn't do yourself any favours.

I would be angry too at security staff but the store has addressed that issue. £100 in voucher is a good settlement. If you took court action for more, I suspect a judge would think you were money grabbing and although you may win, an award would be much less than you hoped for.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I don't think the OP has a cause of action for a court case.

(Absent a diagnosed psychiatric illness caused by the 'stress') you can't claim for stress / inconvenience. What other damages could the OP show to claim for?

Hi everyone,

After the advice I was kindly given this morning, I contacted the legal department who have been sending me out the letters by email and telephone to inform them I am willing to accept a written apology and the £100 gift voucher.

I thought they would be happy to be done with this and agree since they offered it to me in the beginning.

Prior to this I requested cctv footage which showed me removing the avocados from the counter, the same cctv footage would show me leaving 2 avocados at the cashiers till and paying for the two I required.

After speaking to the Sainsbury's lawyer this afternoon to confirm I would like to settle, he informed me this will no longer be possible because they have a discrepancy as to the amount of avocados I paid for and the avocados I removed from the counter.. I was gobsmacked!!!...

I asked if they were now insinuating that I had paid for 2 and stolen the other 2?.

He said not at all but we would like to review the footage none the less to ensure what I paid for and what I took home.

Immediately I wished I had spoken with him via email so this could be recorded. I am sooooo angry at myself!.

I ended up being so frustrated by the insulation I would have stolen 2 avocados and paid for 2.

I have been shopping in this particular branch of Sainsbury's which is in East Dulwich (Dog kennel Hill).

I have spent a lot of my salaries purchasing shopping for well over £150 prior to this incident.

I am disgusted in the way they are continuing to treat me unfairly.

Any advice on what to do next.

I will respond the the legal team confirming our conversation on the telephone which insinuated I might have sneaked the other 2 in my bag... well he said a discrepancy....

any advice?????

Just leave it. Nothing more will come of it. Youre starting to dig a hole .

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

But surely, the fact I have agreed to a settlement they offered and are now going back on is Ludacris.

I am now feeling so angry because they are now trying to accuse me of stealing 2 avocados and only paying for two.

Surely they cannot be allowed to treat people in the manner.

I used to enjoy shopping there now I can't bear going there as I feel like I am thought of as a criminal.

at the time this happened I was collecting medication which led me to feel really anxious for a while after this happened.

They can withdraw the offer at any time and for any reason. Its why we told you not to get ahead of yourself and demand things. And they arent accusing you, theyre investigating. Plus nothing will come of it. its an avocado.

Leave it be, and walk away.

I wish I could let it go but I feel until this has been dealt with even just by way of a written apology, I will always feel I was accused of something I did not do and treated badly after that...and it doesn't sit well with me at all..

Stop trying to demand an apology. Youre creating more stress for yourself. Chalk it up to a terrible experience, and walk away. They wont care about stress, and things like that. As far as theyre concerned, you were a potential shoplifter, and they have to investigate everything. Just leave it now, and see if anything comes of it, which it likely wont.

Please take it onboard, and dont try and pressure the legal team. if you do decide to ignore, then it will likely end up worse for you. The best thing to do now is just walk away from it all.

• 10 months later...

Just in case you are still reading "twinkles123"

I suddenly know exactly how you felt after your Sainsbury's incident.

Today I had a very minor problem that was dealt with appallingly, and I agree that it leaves you with a very bitter taste.

In my case I was accused of "scanning but not depositing" a coupon for 30 extra nectar points in a self service scanning machine.

I must admit, that is a crime I have never previously heard of, but apparently is a massively growing [problem] among certain classes of people.

The fact is, when you deposit the coupons, they often stick in the slot, so I have been shown to give them a push with the Nectar card. Today, a man came rushing over and shouted at me to "Now deposit the coupon".

I asked what he meant and he said I had scanned the coupon, put it in my pocket, and fraudulently pushed a card into the slot.

How ridiculous ! He refused to listen, open the machine, or fetch a manager and carried on abusing me.

He claimed he was the manager,

I went to Customer Services, asked there, and he stood grinning at me and told CS to tell me he was the most senior person there.

I have been going in the shop for many years and am usually greeted by the staff, chat to them, and have no problem.

I went outside (followed by a security guard) and sat down and rang the store, spoke to the real manager, who came down, apologised and made a small goodwill gesture.

Seemed to be sorted at the time, but it preys on your mind.

This guy obviously still thought I had cheated Sainsbury's out of 15p, and as the machine was never opened, I couldn't prove my innocence.

He also pointed me out to the security guard, and was again giving his side of the story to the guard while the manager was talking to me.

Now I am a marked man !

The obvious answer is never go in the store again, but I have around £300 of Sainsbury's gift cards and 29,000 Nectar Points to spend. Certainly not looking forward to visiting again !

I've been accused by so called security guards in Sainsbury's!

They said id failed to pay for razor blades that were the 1st thing listed on the receipt.

I said would you like to search me in front of everyone in the store, whilst producing my receipt from one pocket and taking out my id card with the other... It was soon resolved!

That must have been very satisfying. It seems that while most of us would like to stop shoplifters etc., Sainsbury's are training management and staff to assume everyone is there to rob them. If they carry on with this attitude I am sure that they will drive honest people elsewhere. Although the manager I spoke to was very helpful and pleasant, things she said confirmed Sainsbury's views. It's worrying.