• Tweets

• You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
    • Ok many thanks. Just wanted to check that nothing else for us to do / send for the moment. Will update again once we receive a copy of their N181 and proposed directions for review. Our post is a bit hit and miss at the moment. Appreciate the help through this process.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sainsbury's supermarket - false accusations of theft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

I hope someone can give me some advice, I am a loss as to what I can do.

In February I went to purchase my prescription and do a bit of shopping at a local Sainsbury's supermarket. Whilst at the pharmacy counter I noticed there were some avocados in a clear bag left by the side of the counter. I took this to mean someone had changed their mind and decided not to purchase them. I thought just what I had been looking for. I took the avocados (2) along with the rest of my shopping and proceeded to go to a cashier at the check out who scanned all my items and took payment.

A short while later I was on the bus making my way home when an unknown number showed up on my phone. It was the pharmacist from Sainsbury's store asking if I was still in the store, for a minute I panicked thinking I had left my bank card or wallet instore. The cashier proceeded to ask me if I had taken the avocados that were by the counter, I informed her I had and had paid for them, only to be put through to the security officer who accused me of stealing even though I informed them I had the receipt with the name of the cashier who had scanned my shopping showing the 2 avocados.

My initial reaction was anger because my personal information had been misused. I have since resolved this with the pharmacy, however Sainsbury's apologised and agreed their security officer had not followed store guidelines/policies when there is suspicion of theft. I was left humiliated on the bus as other passengers could hear me arguing that I had not stolen anything whilst the security officer informed me should this happen again the police will be called.

Sainsbury's initially offered me a goodwill gesture for £30 vouchers which I thought was adding insult to injury, they then offered me £100 vouchers which I refused to accept. I feel the stress I went through on that day which raised my anxiety levels warrants more than a £100 voucher. I have not been able to return to that Sainsbury's supermarket because I feel my every move will be monitored.

this incident affected my health for a while. I have sent them a LETTER BEFORE COURT but Sainsbury's responded by stating I did not have a case. I am sure the way I was treated was wrong as their own guidelines were not followed by the security guard?...Can someone help please...

Edited by silverfox1961
spacing

I did think about it but the accusations left me humiliated and so angry, I have never stolen in my life so to be falsely accused of stealing at the age of 42 is not okay. I am feeling like this will be dragged on by Sainsbury's and I am just worn out by the whole situation...

You sent a lba demanding more £100 because you think that's what you deserve as compensation? No judge would ever rule in favour of that.

Take the £100 And let it go. That's well above and beyond what they should have given. If you carry on with legal action you'll likely be offered nothing and could lose in court. Especially if Sainsbury's lawyers say they already offered considerable compensation.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi,

I'm afraid I agree with the other posters here with one exception.I would want a written apology as well as the vouchers. Taking action through the courts will be a futile gesture as you could have ended the call at any time. As you continued with the call on a bus, you didn't do yourself any favours.

I would be angry too at security staff but the store has addressed that issue. £100 in voucher is a good settlement. If you took court action for more, I suspect a judge would think you were money grabbing and although you may win, an award would be much less than you hoped for.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I don't think the OP has a cause of action for a court case.

(Absent a diagnosed psychiatric illness caused by the 'stress') you can't claim for stress / inconvenience. What other damages could the OP show to claim for?

Hi everyone,

After the advice I was kindly given this morning, I contacted the legal department who have been sending me out the letters by email and telephone to inform them I am willing to accept a written apology and the £100 gift voucher.

I thought they would be happy to be done with this and agree since they offered it to me in the beginning.

Prior to this I requested cctv footage which showed me removing the avocados from the counter, the same cctv footage would show me leaving 2 avocados at the cashiers till and paying for the two I required.

After speaking to the Sainsbury's lawyer this afternoon to confirm I would like to settle, he informed me this will no longer be possible because they have a discrepancy as to the amount of avocados I paid for and the avocados I removed from the counter.. I was gobsmacked!!!...

I asked if they were now insinuating that I had paid for 2 and stolen the other 2?.

He said not at all but we would like to review the footage none the less to ensure what I paid for and what I took home.

Immediately I wished I had spoken with him via email so this could be recorded. I am sooooo angry at myself!.

I ended up being so frustrated by the insulation I would have stolen 2 avocados and paid for 2.

I have been shopping in this particular branch of Sainsbury's which is in East Dulwich (Dog kennel Hill).

I have spent a lot of my salaries purchasing shopping for well over £150 prior to this incident.

I am disgusted in the way they are continuing to treat me unfairly.

Any advice on what to do next.

I will respond the the legal team confirming our conversation on the telephone which insinuated I might have sneaked the other 2 in my bag... well he said a discrepancy....

any advice?????

Just leave it. Nothing more will come of it. Youre starting to dig a hole .

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

But surely, the fact I have agreed to a settlement they offered and are now going back on is Ludacris.

I am now feeling so angry because they are now trying to accuse me of stealing 2 avocados and only paying for two.

Surely they cannot be allowed to treat people in the manner.

I used to enjoy shopping there now I can't bear going there as I feel like I am thought of as a criminal.

at the time this happened I was collecting medication which led me to feel really anxious for a while after this happened.

They can withdraw the offer at any time and for any reason. Its why we told you not to get ahead of yourself and demand things. And they arent accusing you, theyre investigating. Plus nothing will come of it. its an avocado.

Leave it be, and walk away.

I wish I could let it go but I feel until this has been dealt with even just by way of a written apology, I will always feel I was accused of something I did not do and treated badly after that...and it doesn't sit well with me at all..

Stop trying to demand an apology. Youre creating more stress for yourself. Chalk it up to a terrible experience, and walk away. They wont care about stress, and things like that. As far as theyre concerned, you were a potential shoplifter, and they have to investigate everything. Just leave it now, and see if anything comes of it, which it likely wont.

Please take it onboard, and dont try and pressure the legal team. if you do decide to ignore, then it will likely end up worse for you. The best thing to do now is just walk away from it all.

• 10 months later...

Just in case you are still reading "twinkles123"

I suddenly know exactly how you felt after your Sainsbury's incident.

Today I had a very minor problem that was dealt with appallingly, and I agree that it leaves you with a very bitter taste.

In my case I was accused of "scanning but not depositing" a coupon for 30 extra nectar points in a self service scanning machine.

I must admit, that is a crime I have never previously heard of, but apparently is a massively growing [problem] among certain classes of people.

The fact is, when you deposit the coupons, they often stick in the slot, so I have been shown to give them a push with the Nectar card. Today, a man came rushing over and shouted at me to "Now deposit the coupon".

I asked what he meant and he said I had scanned the coupon, put it in my pocket, and fraudulently pushed a card into the slot.

How ridiculous ! He refused to listen, open the machine, or fetch a manager and carried on abusing me.

He claimed he was the manager,

I went to Customer Services, asked there, and he stood grinning at me and told CS to tell me he was the most senior person there.

I have been going in the shop for many years and am usually greeted by the staff, chat to them, and have no problem.

I went outside (followed by a security guard) and sat down and rang the store, spoke to the real manager, who came down, apologised and made a small goodwill gesture.

Seemed to be sorted at the time, but it preys on your mind.

This guy obviously still thought I had cheated Sainsbury's out of 15p, and as the machine was never opened, I couldn't prove my innocence.

He also pointed me out to the security guard, and was again giving his side of the story to the guard while the manager was talking to me.

Now I am a marked man !

The obvious answer is never go in the store again, but I have around £300 of Sainsbury's gift cards and 29,000 Nectar Points to spend. Certainly not looking forward to visiting again !

I've been accused by so called security guards in Sainsbury's!

They said id failed to pay for razor blades that were the 1st thing listed on the receipt.

I said would you like to search me in front of everyone in the store, whilst producing my receipt from one pocket and taking out my id card with the other... It was soon resolved!

That must have been very satisfying. It seems that while most of us would like to stop shoplifters etc., Sainsbury's are training management and staff to assume everyone is there to rob them. If they carry on with this attitude I am sure that they will drive honest people elsewhere. Although the manager I spoke to was very helpful and pleasant, things she said confirmed Sainsbury's views. It's worrying.