TFL letter (opened by mistake) - offender is unknown to me. **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can someone advise me what I should do.

I received a letter from TFL addressed to the parent/guardian of a child who was caught on a bus without a ticket.

This child is completely unknown to me though.

I have telephoned IRCAS who told me to return the letter to them with "not known at this address" written on but lots of people who are genuine offenders must do that.

There are three people (myself, my partner and our 21 year old son who live in our household and I can prove this easily but how am I supposed to prove that someone does not live at my address?

How is it possible to prove a negative?

Please can someone tell me what I should do, I am really worried.

TFL's problem not yours

do as they advised.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you very much for your reply. I will do that. I just hope that that will be enough for them.

I live in a tower block that contains fifty flats and cannot help wondering if this child actually lives in my block and gave the correct block and street name but my door number.

I feel like I want to knock on every door in the block to ask if they have a child of this name. I know that is probably a bad idea but I am so upset.

Thanks again for your reply. By you saying that it is "TFLs problem not mine" that does make me feel a little bit better.

theres no harm at all in scanning the letter for your ref.

and it would be really good if you recorded that advice given?

I would assume the letter is the std one whereby they ask for 'the offenders' side of the story?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I do not have a scanner but will take a photo of the letter before I post it back.

I did record the call. I have an app on my phone that records all my calls just in case I ever need to prove anything.

The letter does not ask for my side of the story. The letter reads as follows :-

Dear Parent/Guardian

As your son/daughter was unable to show a valid ticket or other authority to travel, they were recently issued with a penalty fare notice under the Greater London Authority Act 1999. The details of this are shown above. (The top of the letter shows bus route, inspector badge no) we are now writing to explain what you must do next. Please do not ignore this letter.

There are details of how to pay this penalty fare overleaf. If you pay before 02/05/17 the penalty fare will be reduced from £80 to £40. If you wish to appeal against the issue of the penalty fare you must do so by 02/05/17. Instructions on how to dp this are also shown overleaf.

In due course, if no payment has been received and no successful appeal submitted we may decide to take furthur action to recover the debt.

If you have already paid the outstanding amount please ignore this reminder (I did not even receive an earlier letter) and accept our thanks for dealing with this issue promptly.

Yours sincerely

Operations Director IRCAS on behalf of transport for London.

Thank you again for your help DX100Uk I really appreciate it.

I would assume the letter is the std one whereby they ask for 'the offenders' side of the story?

dx

Can you confirm one thing frances333.

The letter was addressed to "The parent/guardian of child X" and that isn't you because you don't have a child X

What about the the rest of the address? Was that definitely your flat? The correct address for your flat, including the post code? I'm asking just in case all that has happened is that the postie put it thorough the wrong door and it's actually addressed to another flat.

Do as TfL say, return it to them 'Addressee not known at this address".

What may well have happened is a child caught by an inspector without a ticket made up an address and claimed to have no proof of address on them when caught. Do not be tempted to try and find out who the child is! Just return it, it's TfL's problem. It will not be the first time this has happened.

I do have a son but he is grown up and is 21 years old.

The address on the letter is completely correct including door number and post code.

I have just posted the letter back to them and included a letter of my own in with it.

Thank you for your reply and for removing my duplicate post.

great you've recorded the call

10/10

dx

and they

Thank you. I learnt the hard way a few years ago that recording calls when you are in a dispute about something is

Very important as a company etc can not go on to later deny something that was said when you have absolute proof.

Again thank you both very much for your help. I will post back if I receive any more letters from TFL.

• 4 months later...

I know I posted this some time ago and am really sorry for the late update. Just in case anyone ever reads this who find themselves in the same position.

I sent them a letter explaining that this child was not known to me, had never lived at my address and gave them mine, my partners and my 21 year old sons name.

They wrote back to me very quickly and said that sometimes people give false details and as there is no requirement for people to carry I.D, this can happen. They appologised and said that my address had been removed from this action (or words to that effect.

Again thank you for your help.

thankyou!

dx

and they