Car Tax refund

snowdragon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

just a quick question, does anyone know how long it takes to get refund from DVLA for car tax please?

I just changed my car and have had the letter from them saying thanks for letting them know I no longer own the said car, I paid by direct debit each month for my car tax so do DVLA cancel it as just checked and no refund and it is showing the direct debit as active, it goes out on the first of every month

They took the money out on the first for the old car but had no letter re a refund etc

Thanks in advance

Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

usually within 4 weeks from cancellation. The refund depends on when you cancel though. Go online, cancel tax, and cancel direct debit.

Just notifying them your car was sold will NOT stop the tax.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

at your interweb banking site

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks both

will do that now :)

Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Also regarding the refund, theyll just send a check if youre entitled to it. There wont be a letter until it comes with the cheque.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you Renegadeimp, had the letter to thank me for telling them I no longer own the car and looking on their site it now says the car is not taxed, they took the money for it on April 1st.

Sold it that day as picked up new car :)

As long as they received the notification before the end of March as there has to be complete full months remaining for any refund.

Just saw that you sold it on the 1st so if that's when you notified dvla I'm not sure you will get April refunded.

I pay for car tax monthly and it gets taken out the account on first of every month

I pay for car tax monthly and it gets taken out the account on first of every month

Yes that's correct. They take monthly payments on the 1st of the month. If it was 1st April when you notified them, like I say I don't think you will get April refunded as it's not a complete month.

I have cancelled the DD for old car, when taxed new car they charged me for March and April!

I have cancelled the DD for old car, when taxed new car they charged me for March and April!

If you cancelled DD in April, after they had already taken 1st Aprils payment, you notified you sold car in April so they won't be taking anymore monthly payments for that car.

If you purchased new car on 1st April & set up DD tax you shouldn't be paying March, assuming you didn't own or set up the new DD tax for that car in March.

I cancelled the DD for old car today as it said it was still active!

Like said DVLA have confirmed by letter I no longer own the other car

There are 2 issues here. If you simply cancel the DD it doesn't cancel the road tax from the date you cancel the DD as you will have already paid for that entire month. If you cancel the DD after that months payment has already been taken you can still legally drive the car (as it is still taxed) for the remainder of that month.

The road tax only becomes cancelled part month from the date that dvla receive notification of any change such as sold or declared sorn. You don't get any refund for that.

I've no idea what you've done but what you should have done (if selling and buying another car on 1st April) is to cancel the DD on the old car after the March payment had been taken. You would still be taxed to drive it the entire month of March because you have paid for that month. When you pick up the new car on the 1st April you tax it starting from 1st April.

right, I collected my new car on April 1st but of course had to get it taxed first, I part exchanged my old car for new car, bear in mind the tax for old car had already gone out the account by then as was a weekend,

Last time did this DVLA cancelled the DD but seems not done it this time and would mean have 2 DD for car tax going out. the old car is for sale at the garage I got the new one from, could not do anything until had sorted out tax and insurance for new car, hope that clarifies things?

I am not longer the legal owner of previous car, DVLA had already took the car tax for it, now whether I get a r efund or not I do not know but my new car is taxed and insured!

If you taxed the new car before 1st April you will have to pay the entire previous months tax which is presumably why you have paid tax for both March & April on the new car.

I don't think you will get a refund for the April DD tax on the old car as you didn't cancel the DD before it was taken out and it was April before dvla received notice of the sale. To have guaranteed getting the April refund, if you couldn't cancel the DD in time you should have declared the car SORN (online) on 31st March at the very latest.

I'm afraid it looks like you have paid a wasted months tax on a car you no longer own plus a month's tax for both March & April on the new car.