Home insurance claim they dont want to pay for kitchen floor

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My house was flooded last week as the ball cock broke off in the tank in the loft.

Loss adjustors have been appointed and drying company and electricians have been out and set up a separate power supply to start the drying process.

I am in a hotel staying that the insurers have arranged.

Loss adjustor came on friday and had a good look around took photos and asked me some questions. One of the questions was did I have any criminal convictions or CCJ'S.

I said not to convictions and that I had a CCJ about 9 years.

I think it was paid but really cant remember as I was in a very bad period in my life at that point. A lot of my paperwork from then has been thrown away ( in error ).

I believe that CCJ information disappears after 6 years so I dont think I can check.

I have looked through my paperwork for the insurance policy that covers the damage and the question about CCJ'S does not appear only questions about convictions and being bankrupt. Both of these I answered no to as that was the case.

I just wondered why the loss adjustor asked and would he be referring to CCJ's from the last 6 years ( of which I have none ).

I looked at my sisters insurance papers at hers today and her insurers NFU ask about CCJ'S aswell as IVA's and Bankruptcy. But they then say they are only interested in CCJ' whether unsatisfied or satisfied from the last 5 years.

I dont want this to be a reason why they dont pay out and I did correctly answer the questions when I took out the insurance.

Am I worrying for nothing?

Edited by dx100uk

I wouldn't worry about it. I suppose it's all about checking that nobody is trying to pull a fast one on them make a fraudulent application.

The best thing to do is not worry and just to be completely straight with them. Whether or not you got cc: Joe's doesn't affect their risk

• 5 weeks later...

4 weeks ago I had a escape of water from a tank in my loft. I have water damage to every room which will entail complete redecoration, new carpets, new electrics and a new kitchen.

I live in an old council house and they tested the lounge and hall floors for asbestos in the bitumen that covers those floors ( under the carpets) but up to the edge of the kitchen units there was a tiled floor ( that we installed some years ago ). They did not test this but once the kitchen units were removed it exposed more of the bare bitumen floor. I asked for it to be tested but it was not deemed necessary.

Now they intend to seal the lounge and hall floors and seal the exposed parts of the kitchen floor. Do you think it is unreasonable of me to expect the whole kitchen floor to be replaced? Bearing in mind they are taking up the old marley tiles from under the carpets in the lounge.

It's not so much a question of what is reasonable. You are entitled to have the damage made good and the area returned to the state it was in before the incident occurred.

I don't really understand the situation as you have posted so that is the best I can say so far.

Also, it will be helpful if you would space out your clothes fit better in some paragraph returns as well. Would make it much easier to understand.

Thank you

The situation I believe although they are going to seal the exposed parts of the kitchen they seem to not want to test it even though it looks exactly the same as the other 2 floors.

As I recall all the floors downstairs in our house had the marley tiles on the floor when we moved in 35 years ago and it therefore seems likely all the floors have an asbestos content and as we are having a new kitchen it may not cover the floor exactly the same as the existing kitchen did.

They are replacing the carpets in all the upstairs bedrooms even though only edges of some carpets were damaged.

So my point is they will replace the whole of the kitchen and all the other floors the kitchen is not being regarded in the same way.

The kitchen was removed in order to dry the wall behind it.

Is that spacing better

The contractors doing the work might find it easier to just rip out the whole kitchen floor area anyway. But from a cost point of view, Insurance normally only covers the damaged area, if the flooring is made of one continuous piece of material. For example, they would not just replace half a carpet. But in a tiled room, they would only replace the tiles damaged. The tiles which will be under the kitchen units would be sealed.

With asbestos material it might be that they get charged to clear up based on square footage, so any area they can avoid not touching would save money.

In this situation, if you have a contact number for the contractors doing the work, ask them whether it is practical for them, sealing some tiles and replacing others. It seems to make more work for them messing around. Perhaps if this messing around does not save money, then the Insurers will just replace the whole floor.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The contractors doing the work might find it easier to just rip out the whole kitchen floor area anyway. But from a cost point of view, Insurance normally only covers the damaged area, if the flooring is made of one continuous piece of material. For example, they would not just replace half a carpet. But in a tiled room, they would only replace the tiles damaged. The tiles which will be under the kitchen units would be sealed.

With asbestos material it might be that they get charged to clear up based on square footage, so any area they can avoid not touching would save money.

In this situation, if you have a contact number for the contractors doing the work, ask them whether it is practical for them, sealing some tiles and replacing others. It seems to make more work for them messing around. Perhaps if this messing around does not save money, then the Insurers will just replace the whole floor.

Yes good idea ill contact the contractors when I know who they are. Will call the drying company who are arranging it tommorow. If they are not going to replace the floor in the kitchen I might ask how much they will charge to take it up and seal the whole floor.

Then I can have a whole new floor whoever pays.

as happened to me decades ago , I ended up paying for an area which included damaged part as no part floor would actually match original and cleared the whole lot and started afresh and glad I did as easier to maintain and looks better anyway, Insurance as stated covers damaged area only!

No matter what the Insurance claim is you always end up out of pocket be it car insurance or any other, the cover is just refined to certain areas, and inconvenience (out of pocket) does not come into it! pity

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: