• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

JCI/Moriarty PAPLOC - Old Disputed Brighthouse Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wish I could turn the clock back before I decided to become one of their victims (sorry customers), lesson learned and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I am having serious issues with Brighthouse which hopefully you good folk on CAG can help or advise me?.

Back in late October last year I took out a credit agreement for a mobile phone which at the time I could afford as I was working and weekly paid which meant Brighthouse was paid each Friday without fail,

fast forward to February this year I was laid off without warning/notice

- I went in to my local store and they agreed to give me time so that I could get myself sorted,

I was told that I would not receive any further phone calls (in a day during the supposed grace period I received 10/12 calls from my local store as well as calls from their Watford office)

last Monday I received a unannounced visit from one of their reps and a card was left asking me to contact my store.

I went back to my local store to ask to speak to a manager and was told no manager is available and the member of staff made me feel intimidated, I left the store to keep my cool rather then lose my temper.

I telephoned Brighthouse Customer Relations and I received a half hearted apology, I explained my situation to the agent and felt pressured and cornered in to a promise to pay the arears on my account which is over £90,

I reluctantly agreed to this but I knew I had little to no hope of paying this,

I was also told that telephone calls wlll stop but they could not guarantee that there will not be another visit by one their reps.

This morning the rep turned up again and I informed him that I am dealing directly with their customer relations team and not with their doorstep agents and that I will be sending the handset back to their Watford office as I will also not be visiting the store again after the way I was treated,

the agent offered to take the handset from me but but I stood my ground and told him again I will be returning the handset myself and at my own cost to their head office

At this point I asked him to leave but he started asking me questions as to what issues I had experienced in store and he also started getting a tad aggressive,

again I asked him to leave as I will not continue to speak to him

- at this point he said 'you signed a agreement in the store so you need to deal with them directly, I'm giving you until Friday at which point we will telephone you again and you will receive further visits'.

By this time I was getting more and more angry and decided to close the door,

the agent returned to his van where he remained for at least 10 minutes despite being asked by me to leave.

Now there is a twist to this,

according to one of our neighbours this agent was allegedly watch taking a photo of our property with his phone prior to driving away,

it also has come to light that the other agent who visited our property was spotted looking through our front windows, I was not at home at this time so I can't 100% verify this.

I have sent a complaint e-mail to Brighthouse customer relations this morning but have not had a reply, however I have spoken to a very help full lady via live chat at the FCA who has recorded my complaint and given me a reference/case number as well as a e-mail address for their Director of Compliance.

I now have sent their Compliance Director a Formal Complaint as well as a copy of my complaint to the Brighthouse CEO.

Whilst I await a response (hopefully) from them should I just sit tight or is there any further action I could take?.

Thanks in advance

they are not bailiffs and have no legal powers WHATSOEVER.

i'm sure BH have already been FINED by the FCA for their agents unacceptable actions.?

block them on your phone and send it back.

any other things with them?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Helo DX, thanks for your reply

No I don't have anything else [removed] thankfully, I did not know that Brighthouse had been subject to a fine from the FCA, though it does not seem to have made any difference.

Edited by dx100uk
behave - dx

sending it back might not be the best method as itll leave you with a larger debt.?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I believe there is a handback option on their website that states you wont owe anything more IF you hand it back?

can you got check?

dx

and they

Hi,

I am so sorry that you did not get the customer service that we pride ourselves on, I would like the opportunity to investigate this for you, can you please contact our head office on 0800526069 or alternatively email our customer relations department at: [email protected] with your post code, full name, date of birth and local store please. I would advise that when you do contact our head office please reference your CAG reference number which is 324750, furthering this, if you chose that email is your best form of contact please put your reference number in the subject box.

Thank you.

Rahul

(Web Relations Team)

ringing is fine, as long as it is recorded....

but I caution using any form of comms that is not written

so you have a paper record of it.

and please comeback to the forum to update us.

you DONT have to accept or believe anything you are told on the phone.

dx

and they

• 3 months later...

Just to update you all,

about a month ago I checked my experian and clearscore credit reports and noticed that Brighthouse had recorded a default against my account even though I handed back the device to the store and was told that I would receive confirmation that there would be nothing further to pay and my account would be closed

- needless to say I never received any further communication from them and as per my e-mails went unanswered.

Back to the default,

I never received a default notice or notice of default sums from Brighthouse and I submitted a complaint to the FCA who informed me that the could not investigate individual complaints but will pass on my complaint to the supervisory team responsible for Brighthouse.

Today I checked my credit reports with Experian and Clearscore and it shows that my account with Caversham Finance/Brighthouse was defaulted in July but then also shows that my account was settled or closed with Caversham Finance/Brighthouse and the default has disappeared from my credit report.

Could Brighthouse have passed on my account to a debt collector as the account has been closed/settled or is it safe to put this matter to sleep and move on?.

Print off your credit file showing its current status, for your records.

Brighthouse are a real scourge on society, preying on the poorest members of society, if nothing else, this should hopefully make others think twice before falling victim to this outfit.

Although the FCA don't investigate individual complaints, well done for informing them, but I would also inform your local MP about this firms behaviour and how it preys on the most vulnerable in society.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

we have not known them to sell to DCA's yet.

not the way they work

so your credit file is not clean.

FWIW: next time you complaint to the Information Commissioners Office regarding Credit File stuff

not the FCA

and they

next time you complaint to the Information Commissioners Office regarding Credit File stuff

not the FCA

Complain to the ICO..... https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Complain to the ICO..... https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

I have sent a e-mail to the ICO informing them that I never received a Default Notice and neither did I receive a Notice of Default Sums, my e-mails to Brighthouse have as per been ignored one of which was a formal complaint regarding the Default.

we have not known them to sell to DCA's yet.

not the way they work.

The device has long since been returned to the store and despite the sales person telling me that I will receive confirmation that my account will be closed with nothing further to pay or owe, I have not heard a peep from Brighthouse regarding this and as per e-mails have been ignored.

Should I still be on my guard for further action by them?.

Exhaust their lethargic complaints procedure, so you can escalate it.

• 2 years later...

After hearing absolutely nothing from Brighthouse, I received a letter from BPO Collections on the 15th August advising me that they had been appointed by Jefferson Capital to collect the outstanding balance of £886, I e-mailed them back the following:

'

Thanks for your letter dated the 15th, August which I received today Saturday, 17th August advising me that I owe £899.21 to Brighthouse, also as this alleged debt was originally with Jefferson Capital I would like to advise you that I received no communication from this company prior to receiving this letter from you.

Firstly, let me tell you about the past issues that I had with this company, well they sent out a agent to my property back in early 2017 after I had returned the item to my local Brighthouse store here in Norrthampton (by the way the store assistant took the handset, did some typing and advised me that as I had returned the item there would be nothing to pay and my account would be closed and I would receive confirmation, as expected this did not happen),

the store agent who visited my property was told this but decided to engage me in conversation even though he was told to leave my premises he also admitted that further collections activity would continue as well as home visits (he admitted harassment which is against FCA guidelines),

the agent left BUT her returned again a week later, though I was not home but he took it up on himself to take photographs of our property and look through our windows, this was filmed and photographed by one of our neighbours who also called the Police who sent a patrol to our street and I have a crime number to confirm this.

I e-mailed the CEO of Brighthouse regarding this but I did not receive a response from him, although I did receive a snotty e-mail from one of their management in London advising me that he has received my e-mail and is very interested in my experience although he obviously did not feel the need to answer or acknowledge the questions within my e-mail so therefore was obviously not interested.

Brighthouse also took it on their selves to issue a Default for a returned item on my credit report without issuing me a default notice (also I have never received a default notice of sums or any statements from Brighthouse during the life of my agreement), I contacted the Information Commissioners Office advising them of Brighthouse's conduct but when they investigated this the default had vanished from my credit report.

I also submitted a detailed complaint to the FCA who also contacted me for further information and recently advised me that they are undertaking an investigation with regards to the issues I had with Brighthouse and after taking independent legal advise I also submitted a formal complaint to Financial Ombudsman Service who are in contact with me and have informed me that they are now investigating my complaint regarding Brighthouse.

Therefore I don't admit any debt to you as the item in question was returned to Brighthouse back in 2017,, I will submit a copy of your letter to the FOS to assist them further in their investigation regarding my complaint towards Brighthouse.

I therefore will not enter into any further correspondence with you regarding this matter and I hope this e-mail explains the issues I had with this horrible company.'

To which they replied:

'

Thank you for your recent e-mail and for confirming your details.

We acknowledge your comments and appreciate that you have explained the situation regarding this matter.

Our client Jefferson Capital International Acquisitions are a debt purchasing company and they purchased this debt from Brighthouse in December 2018.

We can confirm that we have put forward the points you have raised to our client and have asked them to investigate and respond as our company, BPO Collections Ltd, which operates as independent collections agency for our clients, were not been made aware of any issues when the account was transferred to us for debt recovery.

Once we receive their reply we shall contact you again and in the meantime, this matter will be placed on hold awaiting our client's response.'

all is quiet and there has been no further contact from BPO Collections,

today when I received, out of the blue a PAP/LOC from Moriarty Law asking me to fill out the enclosed forms and informing me that the debt will rise to over £1000 but they state that their client Jefferson Capital is still prepared to settle this amicably without court action.

Needless to say I am very unhappy with BPO Collections even though they stated that they will hold the account until they receive a response and will contact me again

- I have heard nothing further from them.

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

• dx100uk changed the title to JCI/Moriarty PAPLOC - Old Disputed Brighthouse Debt

interesting, 1st time we've seen an old Brighthouse debt sold on.

oh well atleast its moriarty..should this ever get near a courtroom door be safe in the knowledge they never turn up, so with your excellent record of the dispute, you will be extremely unlucky if you lose this one, ..

and they

Another update, after firing off a e-mail outlining the issues I had with Brighthouse to Moriarty Law I received a letter from them today advising me:

'We write with the reference to the above detailed account (JC International).

Please be advised we are no longer instructed in connection with this matter and the account has been returned to our client (presumably JC or BPO Collections?).

Please contact our client directly if you have any queries.'

Now will it be safe to say that this may be the end of the matter or standby for JC's next move?.

Also will it be worth sending a complaint to BPO after my account ended up with Moriarty Law even though it was on hold with BPO as they was awaiting direction from JC?.

Edited by Markie1973

time to stop using emailing  a DCA or their dogs now

letter writing only from now on...bounce and block any further emails and their all their addresses used to date

its a free way to harass you only.

BPO don't buy debts simply chase for their clients.

its nice to see moriarty running away.

I would not be doing anything now

sit on your hands

yours is not the next move.

and they