Bamboo from neighbour growing very tall and encroaching over and under fence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved house last year. One of the neighbours, who I don't know and have never spoken to, has planted bamboo right up against our fence. The title docs confirm they are responsible for the maintenance of the fence. The bamboo grows vertically and rapidly. It towers over a 6ft fence, up to 12-15 ft in places. It's height of itself is not really a problem as it does not shade us at all. When there is no wind it encroaches over the fence a bit but not much as it mostly grows upward not outward. However when the wind blows it encroaches quite a bit and you can hear the fence creak with the force it exerts.

I understand that I am entitled to cut down overhanging plants. Does that include parts which overhang only when the wind blows?

The bamboo self seeds and some shoots are growing under the fence. Are those shoots treated as a separate plant , and therefore mine as they are growing in my garden?

I moved house last year. One of the neighbours, who I don't know and have never spoken to, has planted bamboo right up against our fence. The title docs confirm they are responsible for the maintenance of the fence. The bamboo grows vertically and rapidly. It towers over a 6ft fence, up to 12-15 ft in places. It's height of itself is not really a problem as it does not shade us at all. When there is no wind it encroaches over the fence a bit but not much as it mostly grows upward not outward. However when the wind blows it encroaches quite a bit and you can hear the fence creak with the force it exerts.

I understand that I am entitled to cut down overhanging plants. Does that include parts which overhang only when the wind blows?

The bamboo self seeds and some shoots are growing under the fence. Are those shoots treated as a separate plant , and therefore mine as they are growing in my garden?

If anything comes over the fence, you can cut off and pass back over the fence.

Are you 100% sure it is bamboo and not a Japanese Knotweed problem ? If it is the latter, you have much more of a problem. Suggest that you look into this. A rapid growing plant like JK is an expensive problem to deal with for people, but they are required to deal with it, if it could cause structural damage to neighbouring properties.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thread moved to Local authority Forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Guest Mrs Hobbit

If it is bamboo, it is rhizomes growing under the fence, these you can dig up. I have bamboo growing and it has never seeded, but new bamboo shoots pop up as the plant grows. You dig these out if they are on your side of the fence. you can put roundup or something else on these, but it may kill ff the parent plant on the other side of the fence. Bamboo grows relatively slowly, mine started of 4 stalks and 13 year later it is becoming a large clump. slowly spreading outward. and about 8-10 feet tall. I am pretty sure you can't cut the bits that lean over the fence bowed by the wind, but you can dig up the rhyzomes on your side of the fence.

On the Zen side of things; listening to the wind blowing through the bamboo can be relaxing. it might not be the fence creaking, bamboo creaks, Bamboo planted at the four corners of your property offers protection from harm.

Bamboo makes a good fishing rods too...

Why not speak to the neighbour and ask about the bamboo and also mention your concerns regarding the fence. They might unaware of a potential problem regarding the fence. it could be the bamboo was originally planted away from the fence and over the years has spread to the fence. Lots of things can be discussed over a cuppa.