• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Swift Advances, Excessive charges complaint.

Cvsc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a brief outline regarding my experience dealing with Swift Advances regarding a excessive charges complaint of which involved Fos.

2005 I took out a regulated loan for £10000 to be paid over 5 years..

Regular monthly payments were made inline with the agreed amount, sometimes a day or so late. This triggers charges on the account of which also incur the same interest rate as the loan.

as you can see the charges are relentless.

Late 2008 i was in severe financial difficulty as i was elf employed my business was struggling. Realising the depth of debt especially with Swift following a redemption figure request i conceded that there was noway i was going to be able to repay this debt with the spiralling charges being added to the account.

2009 i lost my family home to Swift as i foolishly at the time gave up and did not fight my case in court and just assumed that no matter what i did they would take it anyway.

2012 Following media report about ppi scandal i started to look into the Swift charges and noticed i had ppi added, as i was self employed the ppi was invalid and i successfully reclaimed ppi from FSCS as the original broker had gone bust.

Then i started looking more closer to the charges added to my account following a SAR request to Swift.

Firstly i filed a complaint regarding excessive charges added to the account with Swift of which they dismissed with a Final response so i took my complaint to FOS.

After a lengthy battle it was deemed that Swift acted appropriately in managing the account "I have not seen evidence to show that swift was not transparent about the charges or that you have been treated unfairly" is whats stated from FOS in their summing up letter.

However as Swift had changed the amount they charge for some of the admin costs they agreed to refund the difference so i received a cheque for approx £900 in 2013.

So it seems that despite all the complaining we do not even FOS agree that how Swift conduct their business is unlawful or done in a manner where the consumer is set to fail from the outset.

For anyone wishing to know what the letter codes mean then here is an attached document.

Im not sure the pdf file loaded properly in previous post.

merged.pdf

Edited by dx100uk
PDF merged to one file - dx

In light of a recent court case would it be worth my while in submitting another complaint regarding the unfair and excessive charges?

do not put your faith in the FOS they are useless in my opinion.

I complained to them in Feb 2012 about a £3500 loan taken out with Swift in 2007 that was due to end after 5 years,

however after what I thought was the 60th and final payment Swift said we still owed them £4 k due to charges.

The FOS investigated on our behalf and I purposely asked them that while they were investigating Swift would not be adding more interest or charges, they stated ''It is highly unlikely Swift will add more charges to this account while we are investigating this complaint''.

Well guess what they were totally wrong and to add salt to the wound

they took 18 months !!!! investigating my case, during this time Swift were adding £80 a month to my account.

They didn't think Swift's charges were unfair and they had added another £1500 to my account balance in the 18 month period.

If that wasn't enough they then ''lost'' all the paperwork I had sent them that I had received off Swift's over 5 years,

so please excuse me if I don't sing the praises of the FOS. Swift have had something like £7k off me for a £3500 loan taken out in 2007, I still owe about £4k which will take about another 7 years to pay off.

Forget FOS, if you have all the statements, complete a CISheet (spreadsheet) and take it through small claims court.

If you dont have the statements send a sar request to swift to get them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Sorry about the delay,

Yes i refer to a recent Swift case where the judge deemed the charges to be unfair. It was posted in a thread in this forum but relates to another Legal site.

I cant seem to find it for now so if anyone else can link to it then that would be great.Thanks

• 9 months later...

For anyone interested in persuing a claim against Swift for unfair charges

make sure that your account has not been closed for more than 6 years

i have just been informed by a firm of solicitors that as my account was closed in 2009 then it is now "Time barred" and no court action can be brought against Swift.

This despite a case i had against Swift via FOS in 2012 from which i received a small amount of reduced charges back following a fos investigation.

Despite the odd court case where these unfair charges and the way the accrue the interest have been awarded to the claimant i dont see anyone ever having any real success against Swift as their t&c's are tighter than a ducks arse and are pretty much able to do what they want and the ultimate goal is to take your home at any cost.

• 5 months later...

It would be interesting if every complainant against Swift (myself included) undergoing a suspended possession order in court with them,

and have just been given a statement of charges) printed hard copies (redacted of course) and then presented the entire case file to the government to investigate.

Surely they would have to step in if hundreds of boxes of documents turned up on parliaments doorstep!

Out of interest has anybody been told by Swift that they will not charge them if you keep payments on the account despite having arrears.

I can't wait to tell the judge that Swift just made that statement to me over the phone

. Even though I have had ever increasing charges since taking out the loan in 2007.

I would gladly be that conduit to the government to take them down..........

Edited by jamie0035

Swift blemain welcome all the same issue sadly

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...