• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lowell/bw claim form - old SimplyBe JDW CAT 'debt'***Claim Discontinued***

blacksofa
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:thumb: Not all claims require a Skelly

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All posted, special signed for delivery by 1.00 pm tomorrow. Next stop Skeleton Argument bullet points. Probably going to have the evening off!

Edited: Sorry Andy I posted the above before I saw your post.

I thought a Skeleton Argument was sort of my notes on the WS

- bullet points - to remind me of my main arguments?

At the moment I feel like I have read through that WS so many times that I'll be able to recite it

- but that will probably change in front of a judge!

What do you mean that not all claims require one?

Probably going to have the evening off!

Can I also :wink:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Think you definitely deserve it Andy. I edited my earlier post but probaby too late for you to see it.

What do you mean that not all claims require a skeleton argument?

Was mulling it all over on the way to the Post Office

- my main legal arguments are (?)

Hearsay on their part,

Statute Barred,

No Default Notice,

lack of compliance with CCA/CPR requests (back up of suspect documentation)?

If the judge decides to go down the 'probabilities' route

then the probability is that with their hearsay documentation,

reconstituted agreement, terms, letters and very generic list of transactions, and a claim of a default notice which appears to not exist, that debt (if it exists) could belong to almost anyone.

Also there is a probability that,

realising the imminence of statute barred for this alleged debt,

they decided to have a last ditch effort to pursue the debt,

and recoup far more than they paid for it when they purchased it,

even though they were outside the statute barred timescale.

Am I on the right lines here, or is that too inflammatory?

Which reminds me...

I keep forgetting to say this,

but the debt has dropped off my noddle account at the latest monthly snapshot yesterday.

Wish I had remembered to say that earlier.

of no importance

just means the default reached its 6th birthday

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have been so focussed on the WS that I just realised I don't really know much about the potential outcomes of all of this!

from what I can gather, the possible outcomes:

Discontinued by Lowell/BW before the date

On the day:

If they don’t turn up – dismissed/struck out (is there a difference) or ruled in my favour?

If they do turn up: dismissed/struck out; ruled in their favour; ruled in my favour

If dismissed/struck out/discontinued or in my favour, can I claim costs and if so do I have to prep this in advance?

Don’t want to spend time on it in advance unless I have to

, or if there is a real advantage,

as if I lose

, I will feel that I have given them even more!

I have had a look at a few threads re costs, but they mainly seem to be quite old.

There are references to special court forms for this,

but also some people seem to favour simply an itemised statement/list to take to court.

Its small claims costs are fixed already in their POC

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Have been so focussed on the WS that I just realised I don't really know much about the potential outcomes of all of this!

from what I can gather, the possible outcomes:

Discontinued by Lowell/BW before the date Unlikely given that they have prepared and served their WS

On the day:

If they don’t turn up – dismissed/struck out (is there a difference) One and the same or ruled in my favour? Hope so

If they do turn up: dismissed/struck out; ruled in their favour; ruled in my favour Correct

If dismissed/struck out/discontinued or in my favour, can I claim costs and if so do I have to prep this in advance? You have to ask the Judge best to have a rough figure ready

Don’t want to spend time on it in advance unless I have to

, or if there is a real advantage,

as if I lose

, I will feel that I have given them even more!

I have had a look at a few threads re costs, but they mainly seem to be quite old.

There are references to special court forms for this, Thats for Fast Track..your in Small Claims track

but also some people seem to favour simply an itemised statement/list to take to court.

Correct

Andy

Thanks for the replies DX and Andy.

DX - are you saying that I can only claim the same figure as they have indicated in the costs section of their POC?

Edited... they have listed £50 legal representative fees. Is that the amount I can claim? I think I'll be over that with stationery, postage, and travel/parking expenses alone, or can I not claim them?

blacksofa

Edited by blacksofa
Added some numbers!

Thanks for the replies DX and Andy.

DX - are you saying that I can only claim the same figure as they have indicated in the costs section of their POC?

blacksofa

No...thats the fixed fees for the claimant costs for issuing the claim......if they win they can ask for further costs.....which is at the discretion of the Judge.

No...thats the fixed fees for the claimant costs for issuing the claim......if they win they can ask for further costs.....which is at the discretion of the Judge.

So I can claim postage and stationery costs then (with receipts) and mileage? and car parking?

What about this hourly fee for LIPs that I have read about (£18 or £19), Can I also claim under that? I don't think I could put on a claim for the actual number of hours I have spent on it, as that comes into £100s.

I have read that the max that can be granted by the judge is 2/3 of that which would be payable to a solicitor dealing with the case for you.

Any ideas on what a realistic figure would be?

And also £90 for a days work if you have to take a day off....have a rough tot up and you give me a figure your thinking of ?

And also £90 for a days work if you have to take a day off....have a rough tot up and you give me a figure your thinking of ?

OK Andy, will do, either later tonight or over the next few days (back to work tomorrow). I have read somewhere mileage = 40p per mile - is that still correct?

Not sure about the day off work issue - I have booked it as annual leave, so don't know if I can claim for that - bit miffed I have had to lose a day's leave though. (£90 a day would be nice, but I'm in the sticks and working in Adult Health and Social Care, so £60 is more like it!)

Blacksofa

Yes as far as Im aware...40p per mile

• 2 weeks later...

So... came home from a long early shift at work, planning to spend the afternoon/evening writing out my skeleton argument and my expenses, to find a Notice of Discontinuance from BW.

Have rung the court and they have received their copy,

the case has been removed from the hearings list on Friday

and moved to the 'Dead Zone' which made me snigger.

Enormous thanks to DX and Andy for your help.

There is no way I could have achieved this without it.

Pay day on Thursday and although it won't be huge,

I will be making a donation.

Drinking coffee and eating doughnuts whilst humming 'Fanfare for the Common Man'!

Blacksofa

no Lucky Man...know the album well

dx

and they

Well done Black....I guess the Witness statement was worthwhile.

Thread title amended to reflect the result........delighted for you.

Regards

Andy