Council tax single person discount with expat main home

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm a single expat (this is starting like a lonely hearts advert! :D) but, I still own a house in the UK which I rent out. Currently it's empty and I've been paying council tax. I applied for the single person discount but it was denied on the basis that I was a landlord.

However, I assume this is normally done on the basis that you are getting single person discount on the property you live in elsewhere. In this case that does not apply to me because I live abroad and am not getting single person discount on any other UK property. The property in question will be nominated as my main home for capital gains if I sell it and was my last residence in the UK. Do I have a case for disputing the denial of single person discount with the tribunal?

I've email the council several times disputing their original decision and they have not replied.

The council in question is Brighton.

However, I assume this is normally done on the basis that you are getting single person discount on the property you live in elsewhere

That is incorrect.

A single person discount rests solely on a person's 'sole or main residence' - it doesn't matter where in the world the 'sole or main residence' is, it can only give rise to a council tax discount where it rests in the property for which the discount is being applied for.

Craig

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/second-homes-and-empty-properties

Also ask the Council Tax Office what discounts are available for Unoccupied Properties.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/second-homes-and-empty-properties

Also ask the Council Tax Office what discounts are available for Unoccupied Properties.

Brighton used to give a 50% discount for empty properties but they stopped that a couple of years ago. Presumably because there are so many empty buy to lets knocking around.

Thanks for the reply. So if the property in question is registered with HMRC as my "main residence" then surely I should qualify?

Thanks

Gary

Not specifically - just because HMRC accept it for their purposes doesn't automatically ensure that council tax will make the same decision - if you'd come to my local authority with the same query a single person discount wouldn't be given based on what you've said so far. You'd be left to appeal it via a valuation tribunal if you disagreed. Most local authorities would make the same call.

It's brings in to mind aspects of Parry v Derbyshire Dales DC.

Craig

Hubby had exactly the same dispute with our council about 5 years ago, and because he couldn't prove that he actually lived in the property, he couldn't get a single person's discount.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.