• Tweets

• Thanks @lolerz. I've attached it to the post. What do you think? What's the organ grinder? NTK.pdf
    • I'm afraid that if the value of the item was under declared then that is probably the best that you can hope for. Also, because the item was incorrectly addressed – even by a single letter, if that because the issue relating to the delivery then that has probably compounded the problem. There is probably very little that can be done. If you are lucky you will get the item back and then you can start again and declare it properly. Undervaluing parcels which are sent by any means is always going to cause a problem if the item is lost or damaged. It may mean that the cost of delivery is slightly less – but at the end of the day the risk becomes yours. When you enter into any kind of contract, effectively you declare it a level of risk to your contracting partner – and they decide to enter into the contract with you based on that level of risk. You have declared a level of risk and £50 – and that's the deal.   Additionally, undervaluing an item which is an internationally has the effect also of evading customs and any VAT system which is in force in that country – and that makes the whole thing a little bit more serious
    • Perfect. Nice and brief and to the point. You don't bother to start telling your life story. Just the way it should be. Send it off. You have probably done enough reading to understand that it won't make any difference don't start drafting your particulars of claim. Open an account with the MoneyClaim County Court system and start preparing. Post your particulars of claim here before you click it off. You may have noticed that at some point you will be asked if you want to go to mediation on this. We used to advise it but now we recommend that you decline mediation and go to trial. Your chances of success are much better than 95%. Going to trial will incur an additional hearing fee but of course you will get that back. However if you go to mediation, they will simply try to penny pinch and to get you to compromise and also they will sign you up to a confidentiality agreement and probably threaten you if you breach it. Not only that, if the mediation fails because you stand your ground, it will add additional delay while they then give you a date to go to trial. The best thing to do is to decline mediation – prepare for court hearing. Pay the extra fee. The chances are that rather than get a judgement against them they will then offer you a full settlement rather than go to court. If they do offer you full settlement then you will be obliged to accept it – but that's what you want. If they don't offer you full settlement then you will go to trial and there will be a judgement against them. Just so that you understand, our first interest is that you get your money back – but a close second is that it does go to trial and there is a judgement which we will then be able to use to help other people. Anyway as you should realise, we will help you all the way.
    • I sent a parcel to Singapore but i spelt the address incorrecltly by 1 letter so the parcel couldnt be delivered and was returned back to the Uk but checking the tracking today the parcel had returned to the UK but is somehow on its way back to Singapore as the tracking says "Item leaving the UK"    Ive spoken ( tweeted) Royal Mail help who confirm that the parcel seems to be going back to Singapore and that if its not " Delivered" by the 29th of April theyll deem it as lost and will accept a claim but i cant remeber when booking what the compensation amount was but i dont think it covers the amount of the item.  As it was my fault that it wasnt delivered in the first place can i trey and claim the full amount back ? i think if i remember correctly it was £50 compensation but the item was £170 So the timeline is thus ...   22nd Of March .    Booked via P2G & dropped off a Post Office.  25th March arrives in Singapore and goes through customs ect ect 26th   Incorrect address and item is flagged as "return to sender" 28th Item leaves Overseas intenational processing centre 15th of April , Item is leaving the Uk (Again)   ?    
    • Post the NTK up here for the regulars to double-check. I highly doubt it's compliant with POFA though. Ignore the deforestation that comes unless it's ever a letter of claim. Any luck with the organ grinder?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

2 backdoor 2016 CCJ's - Excel/BW for 2x2015 PCN's - both set aside by mutual consent orders etc - now seems 1 didn't, found re-registered backdoor CCJ - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1583 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

Hope somebody can help me with this one.

I would really appreciate any help as never done this before.

I've got a CCJ by default

- well actually two from BW legal for parking over the prescribed time/ without a ticket on carpark behind TSB in Prestwich.

From May and June 2015.

I had moved out due to domestic abuse so did not get the letters.

I was just at friends etc and I didn't change my address with DVLA...

so I didn't get anything

Both CCJ's were granted on 29th Dec 2016.

I now also have letters for both to say will be enforced!

I would like to try and get this set aside as I was unaware of the issues.

I know it will be discretionary as they sent to my known address but last thing on my mind during this time was post and I didn't want to go anywhere near the house.

I was taking anti depressants but no proof of the domestic abuse.

I did get the police out in 2014.

I read that I will also need to show a good reason for defence too?

I don't necessarily want to defend it

just get them set back to the original amount and no ccj.

Is this possible?

If I do need a defence I've been reading some threads and could the fact that the signs didn't have planning permission be an argument?

Bury council have stated that no planning was deemed necessary for a "carpark" as it was an old established carpark for many years.

There have been a few people win against excel / BW but cant see anythig like mine

Thanks so much

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but I don't expect the you have much of a chance of success. The cost of applying for set-aside would be £155. Once these people have a judgement then it's a pretty difficult business. I think you have do make better arrangements for mail to be sent on to you as you change addresses. I'm sure that you're in a difficult position and this kind of thing doesn't help but I really don't know what else to advise

picking through things in no particular order,

the council are wrong about sigange and planning but there again few judges read up on planning law so it is difficult to use just that argument, it works in conjunctuion with other wrongs but rarely on its own.

the big issue would be did the parking cos's follow the protocols of the POFA (as it is excel then the answer is no) and what does the signage actualy say?

a lack of contractual consideration is always a good point to beat a claim as judges understand that better than the POFA.

Ultimately it is a bit of a lottery as to whether the judgement will be sat aside as the papers were properly servied, even if the contents are rubbish so that is the biggest hurdle.

Thanks to both you and black fodder for your replies.

I don't even know if I got a ticket and went over

( certainly no ticket on windscreen) or I just didn't have a ticket.

I started using that carpark last summer and I remember I thought it was free at first as shocking small sign, but after that I got tickets.

The letter states either over time or no ticket and my head was in a bad place then so I have no idea.

Can I find this out before I do my n244?

If I did have a ticket how long do they get to send a letter as I'm sure it must have been a while

- if they did even send one as I can't find the first letter.

Please forgive me as I am a novice and don't know much about this process

but you mention contractural consideration possibly better than POFA. I'm not sure what is either?

Also even though I suspect they haven't followed correct protocol

I just want the ccj gone so can I not say the reason I didn't defend was I wasn't at address due to my circumstances and will pay if they remove the ccj?

Rather than defending?

Sorry this may not be possible but it seems to me this should be an allowed option in mitigating circumstances

Thanks a lot for your help much appreciated

the only way of removing the ccj is to get it set aside and have the matter reheard.

As siad,

if you dont update your keeper details and they send out letters to the address the DVLA hold they are doing things properly so all of your pleadings about your woes are worthless.

HOWEVER, as they are obliged to send documents to that address if you lived there when the NTK was issued and moved subsequently

that is a good enough reason to have the CCJ set aside as you can correctly claim that you didnt receive the paperwork.

Then you have to show some evidence to indicate that you have a reasonable chance of success with a defence.

Again, you have that but it would be better if you can really hammer the claim by showing no contract by way of signage etc so

get down to the site and get those piccies of the following.

the entrance to the land from the public highway

, pictures of the signs,

we need to see them in detail

and also an indication of where they are and how many.

You will need to find out who owns the land as you will be asking Excel for a copy of their agreement with the landowner that allows them to sue you.

Now excel and VCS are owned by the same person and often they have the wrong signage or contracts in place so that is why we ask for pictures of every sign that is different.

Also, if there is a ticket machine we need a picture of that and any signage associated specifically with the m/c.

Once we have this we can give you an idea f how to progress

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

the issue of getting photos is that the carpark is now used by farm foods and its all gone!

I can try to get some off somebody else on this forum though as I've read him offering help to others from the same carpark. But this may take a week or so, can I send my n244 without photos in the meantime?

Thanks so much I really appreciate all the assistance as I'm not that good with this sort of thing 😀😀

looking at the dates I don't think that it was me driving.

My dad and then boyfriend also used my car whilst I was working or volunteering.

does this make a difference in the claim?

I could even try to get them to pay for the charge if it was them which will be a bonus

Thanks again 😀

completely irrelevant if you were keeper at the time.

Paying the money (IT IS NOT A FINE) wont make the CCJ go away.

Only a set aside and then fighting the claims.

You will still need pictures of the site,

also take google screenshots as they can be relevant as they tend to be a year or so old.

You have to do everything in your powers to win this

Hi Ericsbrother

a few questions.

You say it will be a lottery as they ultimately served the papers correctly.

I didn't quite follow this

'As said, if you dont update your keeper details and they send out letters to the address the DVLA hold they are doing things properly so all of your pleadings about your woes are worthless.

HOWEVER, as they are obliged to send documents to that address if you lived there when the NTK was issued and moved subsequently'

And

It will be the judges discretion to allow to be heard but I hope they will be understanding of my circumstances and frame of mind at that time and I wasn't going anywhere near the house. I don't usually get much post anyway as all online these days.

Do I contact excel directly and ask for the landowner agreement?

I know it's the council and that they didnt have planning permission from another case.

Can I use somebody else's email from the council?

I will ask excel to send me the agreement though as they probably will refuse and I can use that.

I have a letter saying they will enforce

the judgement ie court bailiffs so do I fill out the n244 now or wait for the photos etc?

Thanks again 😀😀😀

you can use the council email as evidence and you can ask for the set aside just stating that you didnt receive the claim form ect

BUT as said all the waffle about your frame of mind will not do your chances of success any good whatsoever so forget about that and concentrate on what will get you what you want.

If the set aside is granted then you get Excel to show sight of their agreement with the landowner

( that will be interesting) but unless the 2 matters are heard on the same day set-aside is just that,

back to the beginning and excel will still be suing you unless they decide to drop the matter knowing that you know they are wrong and that way they avoid a massive costs order.

Fill out the N244 and get the court to stop the bailiffs, excel will want to press ahead in an attempt to blugeon you into submission

Hi ok thanks

You say not to bother waffling about my circumstances but this is what happened and I thought first and foremost I have to explain why I did not receive the letters? So I thought this was important?

I'm worried that excel will send bailiffs as I had the letter about that dated a few weeks ago. Should I call excel and tell them I'm doing the n244 as even if I do it today I have to post it I think? It won't get to court till mon or tue if first class

I'm working on my n244 firm now so can I post my witness statement for you advice in an hour or so? Do I tick witness statement, statement of case or evidence set out below box?

I'm thinking of saying

1Reasons for not receiving letter are I was not at the address and had moved out due to domestic abuse. I did not want to go near the house and I have only been given the court claim form last friday ( keeping it short).

I was not aware of the ticket as I was not driving the car it was my ex boyfriend.

2.I intend to defend this in full based in the following:

Lack of authority

Lack of planning permission for signage

Signage inadequate due to size spacing height etc

No contractual obligation

Thanks so much

stop worrying about ruddy bailiffs

they cant do anything its a civil debt.

no right of entry

they can be ignored if they turn up.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Dx oh ok thanks for that I was getting very worried about that.

Thus has never happened to me before so I am a bit list with all the procedures etc.

I am reassured by that :lol:

That's what they are good at - scaring us into paying etc

I can't get photos as signs all been removed now as carpark has been taken over.

I wanted to PM another member who I know has photos but I've not got 30 posts so can't!

Do you know how I can get in touch with him other than posting another 20 odd times?

I was thinking I could do a general post asking his username for help in the title??

Thanks again x

which thread?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Dx this is the thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?467787-Excel-BW-claimforn-PCN-31-03-2015-Bury-New-road-manchester-**WON**

Is it still a civil case If it's at default ccj stage?

You say not to bother waffling about my circumstances but this is what happened and I thought first and foremost I have to explain why I did not receive the letters? So I thought this was important?

I'm worried that excel will send bailiffs as I had the letter about that dated a few weeks ago. Should I call excel and tell them I'm doing the N244icon as even if I do it today I have to post it I think? It won't get to court till mon or tue if first class

I'm trying to do my N244 now.

Do I tick witness statement, evidence set out below box or both or all three?

I called the court last Friday so they are expecting the n244

I'm so far saying

1Reasons for not receiving letter are I was not at the address and had moved out due to domestic abuse. I did not want to go near the house and I have only been given the court claim formicon last friday ( keeping it short).

I was not aware of the ticket as I was not driving the car it was my ex boyfriend.

Lack of authority

Lack of planning permission for signage

Signage inadequate due to size spacing height etc

No contractual obligation

Although I don't have the email off council about the planning permission yet but Ericsbrother said ok to send without. Is this enough detail?

Thanks so much

as I said

stop worrying about ruddy bailiffs

they cant do anything its a civil debt.

no right of entry

they can be ignoredlink3.gif if they turn up.

and they

do not call excel ever.

Your other reason for the claim being invalid is that you have no liability under the POFA becasue they dint follow its protocols and so are suing the wrong person.

you dont need any more at the moment,

you will need to get all of the evidence together for the new hearing and that will be a while away.

ok thanks Ericsbrother

Do I tick witness statement, statement of case or evidence set out below box?

Ok so my main hurdle is getting them to agree to a hearing, once I get that I think I should be ok on signage, contract issues

Is there anything I can do to strengthen my reason for not receiving the letters? Do you think this is strong enough? I could add ' I can provide a Drs letter' but I know you advised not to waffle on this?

So adding your suggestion this will be my witness statement or statement of case or evidence set out below:

1Reasons for not receiving letter are I was not at the address and had moved out due to domestic abuse. I did not want to go near the house and I have only been given the court claim form last friday and I immediately called the court.

1Excel parking had a lack of authority;

2Lack of planning permission for the signage;

3Signage was confusing on the site and inadequate due to size spacing height etc

4Excel had no liability under the POFA becasue they dint follow its protocols and so are tness statement, statement of case or evidence set out below the wrong person.

5No contractual obligation

Yes it was the same location for Karbot - he says in a post that he put Radcliffe incase excel saw it on the forum.

It was the same location.

Any advice on getting hold of him?

yes

they should see it

they were last active 17th feb

but will get an email alert

of your request

and they

I'm sorry but I don't expect the you have much of a chance of success. The cost of applying for set-aside would be £155. Once these people have a judgement then it's a pretty difficult business. I think you have do make better arrangements for mail to be sent on to you as you change addresses. I'm sure that you're in a difficult position and this kind of thing doesn't help but I really don't know what else to advise

Just for clarity, the costs for a set aside are £255 for each ccj which you are unlikely to recover.

You may qualify for fee remission if you are on a low income, have less than 3k savings or claim a qualifying benefit such as Income Support, mire information regarding fee remission can be found by reading the guide EX160a from the court website

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

i wonder if a word in the claimants earhole asking for a set aside by mutual consent might save £510?

and they

Hi thanks for the advice

I thought I would probably recover the set aside fees if I win?

I think I have a strong case as long as I get the set aside hearing

Thanks so much for helping

Hi Ericsbrother I didn't chance my address with the DVLA. I have done now xx

Change

Hi Dx how would I go about this?

Can they agree this? Xx

Hi Ericsbrother

I didn't quite follow this that you wrote earlier

'if you dont update your keeper details and they send out letters to the address the DVLA hold they are doing things properly so all of your pleadings about your woes are worthless.

HOWEVER, as they are obliged to send documents to that address if you lived there when the NTK was issued and moved subsequently

that is a good enough reason to have the CCJ set aside as you can correctly claim that you didnt receive the paperwork.'

you have to use the correct argument.

If you put it simply and say that you did not receive the paperwork a set-aside is more likely than admitting that you failed to inform the DVLA of a change of address or that you still have a connection with the address that the papers were served on as they will be deemed served.

For that reason telling the court all about your domestic problems will lose you the set aside request as your vehicle was registered at that address the company is obliged to send documents there.

The failure to update the keeper details wont undo that so the set-aside becomes more likey the less you say about why you didnt receive them.

Do you now have a permanent address that documents can be served on?

If so you use that from now on and Excel and their pet ferret will have to write to you there.

You may think this odd but being dead isnt a reason for not attending court,

someone has to apply to get permission to attend instead,

the claim doesnt just go away even though you cant sue dead people.