Virgin Media - House Move: Told previous occupier had bad debt at my new address?

CG7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been with VM for almost 14 years now, I rang them to say that i am moving house and that i want to stay with them anyway they told me that there is bad debt at the new address from a previous tenant and that they will get back to me and so far they haven't.

Where do i stand with this please.

rubbish!

goes with the person not the property.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Own thread created CG ..please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I have been with VM for almost 14 years now, I rang them to say that i am moving house and that i want to stay with them anyway they told me that there is bad debt at the new address from a previous tenant and that they will get back to me and so far they haven't.

Where do i stand with this please.

Tell them you are responsible for paying the bill not the bricks and mortar :madgrin:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Tell them you are responsible for paying the bill not the bricks and mortar :madgrin:

Utility companies have a blacklist of addresses, where they have had problems getting paid for services. They therefore don't offer services. Seen this reported elsewhere. They have to remove the blacklist entry given that the new resident is a reliable payer.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Utility companies have a blacklist of addresses, where they have had problems getting paid for services. They therefore don't offer services. Seen this reported elsewhere. They have to remove the blacklist entry given that the new resident is a reliable payer.

Can you provide a legal source UB....?

The following is from the horses mouth ...

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/questions/askjames318.html

Can you provide a legal source UB....?

The following is from the horses mouth ...

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/questions/askjames318.html

Not sure it is legal. But it cannot be a coincidence if people have been told by Sky, Virgin, BT, that they will not supply services to x address, due to previous problems at the address. There does seem to be an address blacklisting system. Most likely a marketing address exclusion, where they don't offer services to the address.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

we have heard of it before here to be fair.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Not sure it is legal.

:-D

I agree it sounds like utter bollocks !. I deal with leasehold issues and in that case, the lease is based on the property and is assigned from old owner to new and the debt CAN stay with the property in some cases, but not for utilities, the house doesnt pay the bills !!

Its not specific houses, but it can specific areas.

Its simple risk assessment. If they have had previous dealing with a specific area and its not cost effective to supply there, then they wont. That's there choice. You cannot force a company to supply to you.

But in the terms and conditions of Virgin Media you are offered house transfer option...so if its declined VM are then in breach of the agreement .

Probably...subject to cable being in that area.... not if a previous occupier who lived there in 1971 had a CCJ ..so I assume the area is already cabled hence the request to transfer

Thank you for your help....I waited for them to call me back and of course the didn't and so i rang them back again and was told to send proof of my ID and a utility bill. So i uploaded a copy of my electricity bill and drivers licence as requested by them and still no reply.

What I don't understand is the fact that I have been with virgin for the last 14 years, never missed a payment well its done by Direct debit.

This morning I decided to see what BT and Sky had to offer, they asked whether I had moved in yet and I said no and I was told that there is an active line at the address I am moving too.

I move into my new home in 2 weeks time.

Moving home is so hard in itself without all of this, I feel ill and not quite sure what to do next.....help

Regards

cg

It should resolve itself before you are due to move.

If Virgin don't respond by Monday, then you could phone theatening to cancel and you will get put through to retention staff. If you speak to the right person, they should be able to resolve. When i had a problem with Virgin, threatening to cancel seemed to be the only way to gain attention.

I tend to call after 6pm when all the " fully qualified " staff are on shift...UK time:wink:

Hi there, I can't believe whats happened again,

I phoned them tonight and got through to this guy andy, telling him everything that has happened and he said yes i can see that you have sent in what we asked for, hang on he said I won't be a minute, 30 minutes later and to 2 other people. I was told that they still can't give me an answer, saying that they hadn't received the utility bill i had uploaded. I said but its on the same email that I uploaded for you.

I now have to wait again till monday and I just said to them i need to know if your not going to supply me then i have to find someone that will, but I feel as though they are holding me responsible for someone's else problem.

The problem being i think that there is an outstanding bill and they don't want to be responible for it, anyway.

thanks for listening.

cg

" The problem being i think that there is an outstanding bill and they don't want to be responsible for it "

You mean at your new address from the previous occupier ?

I shouldn't think that would be a problem as they would simply pass it on to a DCA once they have traced where they have moved to...you as the new occupier are not responsible for the previous owners unpaid bills

Yes thats right, she told me that the problem wasn't me but the previous tenant but I knew it wasn't me as i have been with them for the last 14 years or more

and always paid on time with DD.

So I now have a long weekend to await my fate on monday

Promised me she would but as we know.I have no idea what I will do if they say no

who else would you recommend if the worse happens.

This is the downside of having phone.broadband and TV looped together anyway thankyou.

regards cg