• Tweets

• I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
    • As they have failed to deliver their original PCN you will need to send them an SAR where they should provide that PCN. It should show the address they used . If it is not your current one that would explain the non delivery. If it was correct then perhaps the Post office messed up. A more cynical view would be that UKPC didn't send it so that you couldn't claim the reduction. It appears that UKPC have been there for some time  but I have been unable to find any pictures of their Notices.The leisure park itself is pretty big so while some parts maybe give 5 hours free parking other parts may have restrictions like permits. I haven't been there for years -I went  to Nandos and the bowling centre . I am surprised that they are now infested with UKPC as the place is plenty big enough not to require their dubious services. If you live not to far away it would help if you could get some legible pictures of their signs. Be carful to park in an area that doesn't require a permit and take photos of the entrance signs, the five hour sign and the permit only sign as well as any other signs that are different from the previous signs. Also if their is a payment machine could you please photograph that.
    • This other entity doesn't know what's going on.  To be clear I had huge equity.  No-one would ever expect a lender to erode all my equity.  The question is - if anyone knows the legal answer - on the basis they have a charging order - could they make an application for an order for sale?  
    • Is this place near to you? I ask for two reasons. If you can easily go back, then get photos of the signs.  On GM and Parkopedia there are various comments about the signs being pants. Also go back to the school uniform shop and ask the manager there for contact details for the retail park (which I've Googled & Googled and got nowhere).  The school uniform shop will just be tenants of the retail park, they won't be able to do anything.  It will be the retail park that called EPC in, and we've seen loads of cases where the organ grinder has intervened and called off the monkey.  As for EPC, aye, ignore them until LoC stage.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bank of Ceylon (BOC) UK branch - Adjudicator messed up - Ombudsman Followed

parity4all
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Complaint was about Bank of Ceylon (BOC) United Kingdom (UK) branch.

After months of waiting in the assessment queue, my complaint finally ended up on an adjudicator's desk.

Adjudicator from what it seems to me went through the file so quickly he missed vital details I'd given on the form and via email. For example, I told the FOS I had further evidence to produce and also to contact me by email, as I was abroad.

He ignored both these.

He concluded that he had enough to issue a decision.

He then attempted to call me on the mobile (even though I said - contact me by email only.

I told the FOS a while ago and there was a 'case warning' added to the file about that.

He had ignored this warning or misunderstood it).

After he failed to contact me by phone, he went on to issue his conclusions in favour of BOC (UK).

His conclusions contained language such as "BOC (UK) have said ....".

So I had no alternative but to disagree with his conclusions and ask for the evidence he relied upon.

I also told him he hadn't contacted me even once to introduce himself before reaching his conclusions and that he failed to ask for the evidence I had specifically mentioned before.

He got back saying he will provide me the case file evidence only after I send him "further evidence". I then contacted his manager to complain. She asked him to send me the case-file evidence straightaway.

I then lodged a service complaint against the adjudicator, and his manager (removed) found that he had committed no wrong.

I escalated it to a senior manager and asked for the complaint to be looked at by a different adjudicator.

The senior manager found the Adjudicator (removed) could have done things better.

But he said the complaint could not be assigned to a different adjudicator.

In effect the conclusions stood even though it was made without considering all the evidence.

He offered for the complaint to be passed to an ombudsman, for review.

Of course, the review is based on what the adjudicator concluded.

Ombudsman wasn't going to start afresh.

Truth be told, in nearly 90% of cases ombudsman "rubber-stamps" the adjudicator's decision.

In this case even though I sent in new evidence to the Ombudsman

she ignored it (or interpreted it in favour of the bank) so that the adjudicator's decision stood.

After all, you can't have an ombudsman reverse an adjudicator decision that was the result of serious procedural irregularities.

By the way, FOS takes at least a month to below

decision FOS.pdf

Edited by dx100uk
external link to pdf removed.pdf attached directly - dx

To me, it seems as though the Adjudicator and Ombudsman issued a reasonable and sensible decision in your case.

What exactly were you hoping to achieve?

Thanks for your input. I respect and value your opinion.

Although, I MUST say you've based your opinion on the OMBUDSMAN's VERSION of events and my INITIAL commentary only.

I'm yet to provide further evidence on this forum, which I will do shortly; Even though I doubt of ever persuading or convincing you (even AFTER providing this further evidence).

Final comment, you can see Ombudsman are under pressure to reach decisions quickly. Have a look at the two paragraphs:

As things were not settled, Mr N brought his complaint to this service where an adjudicator

investigated it. The ombudsman service does not cover Bank of Ceylon and so we could not

look into Mr N’s complaints about acts or omissions of that bank.

From the evidence, the adjudicator was satisfied that Bank of Ceylon (UK) had taken

reasonable steps to try to assist Mr N is his complaints to Bank of Ceylon. It was not in a

position to provide advice about the international transfers, as these were between

Bank of Ceylon and another UK bank.

Now go ahead and check the decision for DRN7913016 (see attached file).

As things were not settled, Mr V brought his complaint to this service where an adjudicator

investigated it.

From the evidence, the adjudicator did not consider that PayPal had treated Mr V unfairly or

acted outside the terms of the account. Because of that, the adjudicator did not recommend

that the complaint should succeed.

Don't tell me she's NOT using a template letter and changing a few words around. More to the point, how long do you think she spent writing the decision?, how long to review the file? The inconsistencies are so glaring, it couldn't have been long. Actually slightly longer for my complaint, because comments like

...something of a mis-match between the service Bank of Ceylon (UK) is prepared to provide and the service Mr N feels he could reasonably expect to receive.

cannot be pulled out of thin air.

In answer to your question.

> What exactly were you hoping to achieve?

I was hoping for a fair, impartial and unbiased process, followed by a fair, impartial and unbiased decision. Are my expectations too high?

> To me, it seems as though the Adjudicator and Ombudsman issued a reasonable and sensible decision in your case.

my thought's on the reasonableness is pretty clear from the above. Sensible decision?, Not in the long-run.

fos decision DRN7913016.pdf

Although, I MUST say you've based your opinion on the OMBUDSMAN's VERSION of events and my INITIAL commentary only.

That's true. Though, I could only base my opinion on what you presented here.

Final comment, you can see Ombudsman are under pressure to reach decisions quickly. Have a look at the two paragraphs:

Now go ahead and check the decision for DRN7913016 (see attached file).

Don't tell me she's NOT using a template letter and changing a few words around. More to the point, how long do you think she spent writing the decision?, how long to review the file? The inconsistencies are so glaring, it couldn't have been long. Actually slightly longer for my complaint, because comments like

cannot be pulled out of thin air.

Most published Ombudsman decisions that I've seen follow a similar format and use similar simple phrases. That isn't evidence of rushing to reach a decision quickly.

In answer to your question.

> What exactly were you hoping to achieve?

I was hoping for a fair, impartial and unbiased process, followed by a fair, impartial and unbiased decision. Are my expectations too high?

There's no evidence that the the decision was not fair, impartial or unbiased.

Let me rephrase my question - What were you hoping that the FOS would decide in relation to your complaint against BOC (UK)? What would've been your ideal resolution?

Edited by StJane
H

Oh!, I'm sure you know a lot more than what I've presented here.

How did you reach that conclusion? Earlier you pointed out that I had only based my opinion on the FOS decision outcome and your INITIAL commentary. Yet, you haven't posted your "further evidence" so how is anyone meant to take it into account?

Allow me to repeat my question - What were you hoping that the FOS would decide in relation to your complaint and what would've been your ideal resolution?

How did you reach that conclusion? Earlier you pointed out that I had only based my opinion on the FOS decision outcome and your INITIAL commentary. Yet, you haven't posted your "further evidence" so how is anyone meant to take it into account?

Allow me to repeat my question - What were you hoping that the FOS would decide in relation to your complaint and what would've been your ideal resolution?

I suspect that if you don't agree 100% with the OP you'll be criticised, regardless of if the OP has given all the info or not.

If you don't agree : either

1) you are making your decision without knowledge of all the facts (and that is YOUR fault, not the OP's, and no doubt you are meant to be psychic, or

2) You are as unreasonable as the Ombudsman.

I wonder if the OP wants advice or mere validation.

Incidentally : I concur that the use of a "standard format reply" only means they are using a standard format reply : taking that to mean the issue hasn't been considered is a stretch too far.

Kindly learn to have some patience. When I post the full commentary, you can draw your own conclusions, rather than me having to spell it out for you.

We (consumers) often have to wait months on end for the Ombudsman to decide complaints. So, the least you can do is wait a couple of days (at most).

If YOU lot take too long, it's always lack of resources. If we don't post everything all at once (because it's too long), then you've already made up your mind. A proper analogy here would be: Shoot first, think afterwards.

Easy: don't post without posting the full information.

In recognition of the poor service you've had, I'm returning the fee you've paid for my help. Zilch. Nothing.

Let me double that : still nothing.

If you waiting until you can post all the relevant information means you needing to "have patience" instead of moving the requirement to "have patience" onto those giving their time and energy, gratis, to help others : so be it.

If it means a delay (for you) of "a couple of days (at most)" : so be it.

Nothing you have posted suggests any urgency needed for a reply.

If you want "instant gratification" : go pay a solicitor.

If you want both instant gratification and unbridled validation : go pay a poor quality solicitor.

Why waste our time with "part of a story"?

And then blame those you expect help from, free of charge, for wanting the full story.

Self help site : means you have to help yourself.

Your attitude just makes it less likely people will bother with you.

Can I suggest that this thread is removed of emotion. Nobody on CAG gets paid to help anyone, mods included. As such any opinion (not advice) is based on what we are told. Telling half the story isn't enough I'm afraid.

I fully agree with Bazzas reply to you.

Please keep this thread civil or it risks being closed.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Back in September 2016, I made a SAR to the FOS, so I was able to get documents and call recordings relating to this complaint (after a lot of friction mind you). In one of the calls, a BOC (UK) employee tells the FOS, bank accounts need to be dormant for six years before closure, and that it applies to all customers (hear audio recording attached. check around 50 seconds in to the audio)

I think she is wrong. A dormant account is a dormant account. Different rules apply.

When a bank closes an account it needs to justify the reasons. BOC (UK) told me it was because the account was inactive and due to the strength of the banking relationship. However, the strength of the relationship was strong. I had been contacting BOC (UK) regularly, However, the ombudsman decided to leave that part out and focus on just the inactive element.

Anyway, in one of my emails to the FOS I said:

[bOC UK employee Mrs ..... ] has herself said to Ms [FOS staff member] that accounts need to be dormant for six years before closure, and that this applies to ALL customers. Clearly this was not the case with my account closure.

In the final decision, the ombudsman says:

He understands that six years must pass before an account becomes dormant and is closed, but that did not happen in his case. He also has concerns about whether Bank of Ceylon (UK) kept to the banking conduct of business rules when deciding to close his account.

This is not how I understood it, I was telling the FOS what the BOC (UK) staff member told FOS. I was merely saying that she said one thing but did something else, because clearly it hasn't been 6 years since October 2013. this part is indisputable.

The ombudsman here has clearly got the wrong end of the stick. Although, for someone who's been issuing decisions for some time now, it seems unlikely this was (amongst others) a genuine error. The errors seem very premeditated and calculated to redeem the bank of it's actions. Not to mention redeem the adjudicator on how he conducted the investigation.

The banking conduct of business sourcebook (BCOBS) is clear on when an account can be closed, I emailed FOS the link, and pointed to the relevant part. The ombudsman decision just says:

He also has concerns about whether Bank of Ceylon (UK) kept to the banking conduct of business rules when deciding to close his account.

Then goes on to say:

The dormancy rules which Mr N refers to are to do with the circumstances in which an account may be closed and the proceeds passed to the Dormant Account Scheme (managed by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme).

Again, I didn't refer to the dormancy rules, the BOC(UK) staff member did.

[email protected]

Still shocked by this decision.

When BOC (UK) issued their final response letter in May 2016 (after FOS became involved). They said:

As we informed you before , Bank of Ceylon (UK) Ltd is a subsidiary of Bank of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and is thus a separate legal entity....

This was completely false. They had at no point told me the UK branch was a subsidiary or that it was a seperate entity. The final response letter was the first time they mentioned it.

Between the adjudicator issuing his conclusions and the complaint being passed to an Ombudsman, I was communicating with the Manager, Ms F (Because the adjudicator had been pulled off the case). I sent Ms F copies of nine emails; emails between me and BOC (UK), and vice versa, and also BOC (Sri Lanka) to me, where BOC (UK) has been copied. One of the emails from the Chief Operating Officer in BOC (UK) to me copied in BOC (Sri Lanka). It was sent on 30 April 2014 (see attached) and said:

May I kindly ask you to communicate direct with BOC [sri Lanka] branch with a [copy] to [Mrs P]* our Customer Services Officer [uK] for anything in relation to the above account in the future...

During the ombudsman complaint, I asked Ms F for case file evidence that confirms if I was made aware about BOC (UK) being a subsidiary. She didn't respond to this. I asked her again, then she responded saying:

I’ve had a look through the case file, and I’ve not seen any correspondence where the bank refers to itself as a separate entity from Bank of Ceylon (Sri Lanka).

I’ve attached a copy of an email dated 30 April 2014, which states to communicate directly with Bank of Ceylon [sri Lanka] branch for anything relating to the account in the future.

I’ve also attached all of the emails and additional information you’ve sent me to your case file, and can confirm that an ombudsman will be writing to you with their final decision shortly....

She was taking what the BOC (UK) Chief Operating Officer had said completely out of context. (see attachment) The officer who came to the UK branch on a secondment was finishing his tenure, and returning to Sri Lanka. He was basically saying copy in London customer services, and not him as usual.

I replied to Ms F saying this:

The email dated 30 April 2014 actually says:

"May I kindly ask you to communicate direct with BOC [sri Lanka] branch with a [copy] to

[Mrs P] - our Customer Services Officer for anything in relation to the above account in the

future....."

As you can see Mr M also says "..with a [copy] to [Mrs P]". As you are aware [Mrs P] is an employee of Bank of Ceylon (UK). "

Also, his comments need to be taken in context of the situation. i.e. He was leaving for Sri Lanka for good, after finishing his secondment at Bank of Ceylon (UK). He would have been concerned that any email I send him may go unanswered.

As I pointed out in my previous email of 27 January 2017, Bank of Ceylon (UK), did go on to successfully handle/liaise with Bank of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in November 2015 (much later than 30 April 2014).

Therefore, I really cannot accept that we could equate what is said on the 30 April 2014 email with "As we informed you before , Bank of Ceylon (UK) Ltd is a subsidiary of Bank of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and is thus a separate legal entity...."

My email was sent 2 days before the ombudsman issued her decision. The ombudsman in her decision says:

In fact, he [says he] was invited to copy in the London customer services team with his communications to the branch in Sri Lanka.

But then her explanation to this is:

It [bOC UK] told Mr N to copy in its customer services department, when he was having problems with Bank of Ceylon in 2014 – though that email also makes clear that he should communicate directly with Bank of Ceylon about the matter.

Completely ignoring the remainder of that email. This is a typical example where the FOS picks out evidence that suits their pre-determined notions (and ultimate decision/outcome). The email actually says contact the SL branch for anything relating to THAT account and copy the UK branch. It doesn't tell me it's a subsidiary branch (or a separate legal entity). BOC (UK) went on to handle problems about BOC(SL) after April 2014. If they had told me they were a subsidiary and thus a separate legal entity, surely they wouldn't have handled the later support queries.

BTW, when I contacted the BOC (UK) branch about the international transfers, I was of the belief that the transfers originated in UK, because that's what the Halifax bank (recipient bank) had told me.

yep, the English language has many uses, but to use it in the manner FOS does. Shakespeare will be turning in his grave.

01-30-April-2014-BOC-UK-to-N-BOC-SL-copied.pdf

Please see attached FOS Manager's email saying she has not seen any corrospondence from BOC (UK) where they've said it's a separate entity. (Attachment: fos-to-me.pdf)

It's worth noting though, after the Ombudsman got involved, BOC (UK) compliance team told the Ombudsman (see attachment boc-uk-compliance-to-fos.pdf ):

This customer has been with our Bank for a long period, with BOC (UK) LTD product and the Bank has previously mentioned to him in telephone conversations that any matters relating to Bank of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) needs to be dealt with by them.

Funny that!, for one, they don't mention the 30 April 2014 email from Mr M, like FOS has done, but seem to rely on "telephone calls". The other, I've only spoken with them on the phone a couple of times in 2013/14. That was about the account opening. Jurisdiction never came up. If it did, would BOC (UK) have really gone on to assist me with BOC (Sri Lanka) issues as late as November 2015. (see attached email boc-lk-to-me.pdf)

By the way, BOC (Sri Lanka) had told me they "routed payments" through the UK branch (See boc-lk-to-me.pdf, page 1)

boc-lk-to-me.pdf

fos-to-me.pdf

boc-uk-compliance-to-fos.pdf