Currys/PCWorld - faulty printer exchange - was refused

andymr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I tried to get my faulty printer exchanged and was refused an exchange because it was more than thirty days since I purchased it.

I was told that it had to be repaired.

Is that inline with the sales of goods act?

Currys is the most difficult shop to get a exchange or refund.

The printer was purchased on the 20/09/16 , just five months ago.

What are my rights? icon13.png

yes under CRA /soga they are correct

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They have a single opportunity to repair, after which you are entitled to a refund or replacement at your option.

You will have to leave the printer with them for repair. The problem will be that they will take an excessively long time either to repair it or to decide that it's not worth their while. What is the value of the printer? These people are so stupid and non-customer-facing that they are often prepared to make a song and dance about something that has comparatively little value to them.

I would say that a reasonable period for repair of such a new item would be 14 days. After that, it will be up to you to decide what action you want to take. We tend find that with these kind of problems, computers printers et cetera disappear off to repairers for six weeks or more. I think that this is unacceptable. Of course, if you took a small claims action then it would partly take you longer before you have the matter sorted out but bringing an action might be satisfying. On the other hand, by the time you have issued the LBA and then the claim and then they have had their 28 days to defend, you might find that you have the printer back.

I'm afraid that dealing with people like Currys/PC World can be very frustrating. Interesting to see that they are now trying to rely on the new Consumer Rights Act. All too often we have found that they tend to ignore a customer statutory rights.

I tend to get the impression that they like to call upon consumer law when it suits them and rather ignore it and it doesn't

Thanks for your help. Would seem I'll take it back tomorrow for a repair. For a £40 printer ridiculous. Why they don't ship the faulty ones back to the supplier. Its less than six months?

Yes, you're completely right. It makes no economic sense for anyone and it places no incentive on the manufacturer to produce a better quality product and it places no incentive on Currys to stop sourcing poor quality items.

If somebody was able to make contact with their Board and persuaded them to listen, then I'm sure that there would be some kind of overhaul of policy. The problem is that the members of the Board never really get to find out what is going on on the ground even though it's their responsibility to know all of these things and they get paid huge amounts of money for exactly that.

I've taken it back for the repair which means I now have to buy a printer to tide me over while its being repaired. When it comes back I won't really need it as I will a new one.

Am I expected to buy a new printer after just five months?

Curry's has the KNOWHOW to lose customers. I certainly will never shop their again. There are online retailers that are better at resolving customer issues. I don't need the hasle of taking stuff back to a shop and arguing with their staff.

I can click and it online.

Urm the retailer has less rights under cra..

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

always been that way even under soga..

within 30days [was 14 only days under soga]

you are entitled to a full refund under CRA if faulty

then its as was under sOGA

within 6mts its a repair/return/replace - the choice is theirs.

outside of 6mts its still the same as soga

you might be required to get a report done

but its the same choices

and they

its also down to the contract that dixons has with the manufacturer/supplier.

most of the printers are replaced by the manufacturer directly to the store, but the store colleague will have to call up and go thru troubleshooting over the phone in an attempt to solve the issue before they replace, even on a £40 printer.

saves wasted printers with either no problems or user created issues/misuse.

epson are utter gits to deal with in these cases (not sure if its relevant here tho), if the customer isnt using genuine epson ink and even genuine epson photo paper, they refuse support.

its a joke but like i said, its the contract that dixons have with them.

hp printers are booked in via a store web portal that gives a pickup and drop off for a replacement, or for high end printers, return date for a repair.

canon ones, the store fills in a form and emails it with proof of purchase to canon, they send dpd out to collect and they eventually send a replacement.

this has all happened over the past few years, back in 2008 i was still on sales in a small currys digital store and all printers were code 5 returns within twelve months, we'd sell the instant replacement cover for 3 years to cover damage, paper jams, ink leaks etc etc.

this is why a lot of people started shopping on the likes of amazon, no quibble returns.

i can understand from the point of view of the two companies that in the past they may have had a large amount of faulty returns that werent faulty and were simply down to user error.

a rep from netgear told me at a training course that only 3% of the faulty returns from dixons are actually faulty.

the rest have been returned due to misselling, customer error or simply not understanding what they were buying.

its highly irritating, but what can you do?

its why the high street is going down the pan.