• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sainsbury Loan - Court action threat on up to date payment plan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would like to request if someone can give me a little guidance on a process.

• If you have a debt that you are not challenging (as in denying), and it has been sold on to a third party, is there any legislation regarding this process? I know the agreement will cover this, but I could not see anything in the Consumer Credit Act.

• We were in discussion by letter with the original lender about setting up a repayment plan, but it looks like they decided to sell the debt and ignore our information requests (with fee) and payment offer. This was was ignored, so not accepted or declined. The first thing we knew about the change was when we got a letter requesting (or demanding) payment from the new owner. It would seem that the sale of the debt is not recent.

• I believe there should have been a Letter of Assignment sent from the original lender (or the new debt owner?). Was there supposed to be some warning of this intention to sell?

• And finally, are there any time limits for any of the above? The debt itself is under 6 years old.

Thank you for any pointers for the above. The process for this matter seems to have been a little slap dash, so we want to make sure we are paying the money to the person who is actually entitled to it.

firstly check your cra file [see below noddle is free]

name names please

and give us a dated history of this debt.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Send the company claiming to be the new owner the letter below - fill in the blanks and send it at least recorded delivery.

Draft request for assignment - Amended Draft.doc

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There is no obligation for them

to notify that they are going to

sella debt.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

A debt can be passed to a 3rd party by

simple assignment (to collect/manage the

account or total assignment (sale) of the

debt and all that goes with the original agreement.

The original creditor and or the debt purchaser or

DCA must notify the debtor about the status of the

debt.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

lots of that stuff does not neccessarily apply.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Send the company claiming to be the new owner the letter below - fill in the blanks and send it at least recorded delivery.

[ATTACH]35338[/ATTACH]

Thank you for this link - it covers a lot of what I wanted to clarify. Very much appreciated.

Thank you for all the replies, information and suggestions above.

For the record, the bank was the supermarket that uses the colour orange in it's logo. I realise they are administered by another bank, but I will never use them again. I was far from impressed by their customer service, knowledge and standard of communication. Never again.

• 4 years later...

I wanted to share the following information on here because I was really quite surprised by it It seems that I have been quite naive. I think others on here may appreciate being aware this can happen as well.

I have a debt that was originally a personal loan. The current creditor has owned the debt for just under 2 years. There is no CCJ, court order or other legal action in place. I was keen to agree a repayment plan and adhere to it. The current debt is about 6k.

To date, the above has been without problems. I fill in the financial statement forms I am sent, and have maintained all the agreed payments without any being missed or late.

The creditor has decided that they want to take the matter to court to obtain a charge order against my property. I understand that this will also incur legal costs and a CCJ to my name. I understand that they want to secure their debt, although there is no behaviour from me that would make them nervous.

I spoke to the National Debt Helpline, who advised me that a creditor can do this any time that there are arrears on any lending (ie the orginal agreement). I know that post October 2012 a charging order can be requested with a CCJ, whereas in the past the process tended to be more staged eg. if one of the other steps had failed such as payments stopped, missed or late.

If the creditor does proceed, I asked the ND Helpline if there was anything I could do, and was advised no. I was led to believe that in the majority of cases the Courts would side with the creditor and it was not worth me trying to challenge the CCJ/CO process. They did say that the creditor cannot not force the sale or the house as long as payments were not missed.

I realise each case is different, but I always thought that keeping up with repayment plans meant most creditors would not pursue legal action. In fact, that is what their letters have always said. For me, keeping things in order meant I could keep the matter out of court. I was also under the seemingly false impression that courts would view the above dimly as there was no default, but this does not seem to be the case.

I am sure the ND Helpline have up to date information, but what do you think? I am not disputing the debt, just the planned instigation of legal proceedings.

Thank you in advance for any comments etc.

With respect to NDH all they want to do is make arrangements to pay the debt over time.

We work a little differently.

Firstly they must take you to court AND obtain a CCJ against you for the outstanding balance, this is before they can apply for a Charging Order via the court.

That said, if you go read hundreds and hundreds of "claim" threads here, you will see that getting a ccj for the claimant isnt made so easy!

If they want a ccj then we can make them work for it and very often, they give up and discontinue.

Have you received a claimform from the court yet? This is the first stage we can help you with.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

or ever sent anyone you are blindly paying a CCA request?

a DCA has no more or less legal powers than you or I have

ALL they can do is go for a CCJ IF they think you owe them money

same is that's all you or I can do if WE think someone owes use money.

THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS.

and they

The creditor has decided that they want to take the matter to court to obtain a charge order against my property.
as said above, 'make them work for it' then.

consider; cca request, any ppi claim/charges reclaim, any irresponsible lending issues,...

if a claim comes, defend it...

Who is the original Creditor

when did you take the credit out

what type of credit

have you a claimform or is it just a threat-o-gram

cause they like to keep cash cows on their toes so they don't hoof it from their milking parlour

and they

Hi, did the creditor agree in writing to the arrangement you have been maintaining ?

Can you provide proof of maintaining the agreed payments?

I cannot see why a judge would agree to their application for a CO. Sometimes the debt chasers threaten CCJ/CO in order to make you offer to pay more so they get the debt settled quicker - they also suspect the debtor won't be able to keep up higher payments so they can then go crying to court .

You must most definitely defend any action from the creditor - we will help you.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions.

I was thinking I should challenge it if it happened,

but I am grateful for your help/suggestion that a CCJ is not a forgone conclusion as the ND Helpline suggested/implied.

To answer some of your questions:

The original lending was a personal loan with S*insburys.

I did not take out any PPI with the loan, and I do not beleive any was hidden that I can claim back.

From what has been suggested, perhaps I should claim anyway in view of what is happening, and do it today.

The creditor is using a solicitor, who I have been in contact with over the last 2 years.

The debt was owed by me, and they did produce the signed CCA when origianlly asked.

The debt was only just over a year old, so I decided to take the route of arranging to pay with instalments, in the hope that I could avoid a CCJ and/or Charge order.

They have accepted the repayment in writing and I have kept all correspondence.

I believe the crux of the matter is that because this will not be paid off in, say, a year or two, they want to 'secure' it.

They have acknowledged in writing that I have maintained the repayment agreements.

I have the statements from the creditor showing all payments and the increase in payments I have made in the time they have owned the debt, which I believe is a positive.

I am not trying to get out of paying the debt

- I just want to try and prevent a CCJ (with or without a CO).

I have not had the claim form from the court yet.

OK, that's good news that you have their acceptance of payment arrangement in writing and acknowledgement that you have maintained payments. I think you should write back to them stating that you are surprised that they are threatening to apply to the court to secure the debt as you have proved by maintaining payments that you are committed to clearing the debt and cannot see that anything has changed to make them wish to take further action. You should also state that should they proceed with legal action you intend to vigorously defend and trust that the court will agree their action is unnecessary.

If you need help with a letter please let me know . Make sure any letter you send is by recorded delivery (or special delivery), so they have to sign for it - keep a copy of the letter and then check on the royalmail website a few days after posting to print off the signature receipt (the tracking number will be on the post office postal receipt which you need to keep safe until you have proof they signed). Keep the signature receipt with the copy of the letter in case you need it in any court defence.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

whos the owner[creditor] now

and whos the solicitors..

i'm reading that have Sainsbury's sold this on?

this was only a £6k loan or 6k left - what was the org sum loaned

and they

Who is the creditor. If its cabot, link, lowells etc then yoU NEED to check as it is very unlikely the debt is enforceable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

In the face of a claim which is trying to seek a charge on a property in respect of a well maintained and up-to-date repayment plan, I would generally suggest using estoppel as a defence or at least one of the strands of my defence.

Its just a threat-o-gram to make the OP panic

Did its job

and they

send everyone one of the people you are blindly paying on these debts including this one

a CCA request.

make them prove they legally hold the required paperwork to demand anything from you.

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Sainsbury Loan - Court action threat on up to date payment plan