• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Suspended from work wrongfully accused of theft hacking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

i was recently called into work and was suspended for false accusation of theft

cut a long story short

my father in law is a motor trader who has an ebay account

he gets my partner his daughter to advertise and sell items on ebay for him

my company has got a third party investigation firm in to investigate as my company is in the motor trade also

the only link to these items is me being in a relationship with my partner

they have hacked my father in laws ebay

gone rather in depth despite account being registered at his home address

but post address and returns being my partners were I am not registered

they have also hacked mine and my partners facebook to show we're in a relationship

and gone in depth in both accounts

i know this as both accounts are set to friends and not public domain

also took pictures of our children off facebook and shared them made copies

(is this allowed without parents consent)

in my eyes ebay hacked

facebook hacked

childrens pictures take off fb ( not on front page)

children pictures copied and shared between investigation team and my company

help help help

as i have done nothing wrong neither has father in law or partner

Welcome to the CAG

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Please continue to post here to your thread

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ignoring the hacking side of things for a moment, what exactly are you accused of?

Have the Police been involved?

What information has been provided to you?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hello all

i was recently called into work and was suspended for false accusation of theft

cut a long story short

my father in law is a motor trader who has an ebay account

he gets my partner his daughter to advertise and sell items on ebay for him

my company has got a third party investigation firm in to investigate as my company is in the motor trade also

the only link to these items is me being in a relationship with my partner

they have hacked my father in laws ebay

gone rather in depth despite account being registered at his home address

but post address and returns being my partners were I am not registered

they have also hacked mine and my partners facebook to show we're in a relationship

and gone in depth in both accounts

i know this as both accounts are set to friends and not public domain

also took pictures of our children off facebook and shared them made copies

(is this allowed without parents consent)

in my eyes ebay hacked

facebook hacked

childrens pictures take off fb ( not on front page)

children pictures copied and shared between investigation team and my company

help help help

as i have done nothing wrong neither has father in law or partner

I sort of agree with Sidewinder that your allegations of hacking are a entirely different matter and need to be dealt with separately.

I'd like to understand a few other things, if you can answer some questions:

How long have you worked for this employer?

You need to understand that as things stand, you have not been accused of theft, rightly or wrongly - you are being investigated, and whilst this takes place you are suspended. Being suspended doesn't mean you are guilty or that there is any assumption of guilt. It's just to allow the employer to investigate without any interference.

You seem to know a lot about what the employer has.- how do you know these things? Have they presented you with evidence?

If there is an allegation of theft, that suggests that something is missing. Are you aware of things going missing asst work, or why the employer thinks things are missing?

I am not entirely surprised that they have some suspicions - the relationships described here appear rather convoluted! Your father in law, who you and your partner do not live with, sells items connected to the motor treads on eBay. He does this by using your partners address - why? And you don't live with your partner or your father in law, but you also work in the motor trade and have some connection to items that appear to be similar to those your father in law sells but which are handled by your partner? It does sound odd, you must admit! But it ought to be easily evidenced - your father in law has legitimately obtained these items somewhere else so will have receipts for them. Presumably he can produce these receipts for the items on eBay? That would seem to conclude the matter - if there is evidence that the items sold are not from your employers stock the matter disappears, doesn't it?

On the matters remaining, I very much doubt that your employer, or anyone acting on their behalf had acted illegally. The things that you say they have access to, and assuming that they do, are very easily accessed by other means. The most common method in relation to social media is, for example, the people who you have given access to! Any colleagues on your friends list? Because work mates are the number one cause of employers being able to view social media.

And that is one aspect that is most important here - why on earth did the employer start investigating you anyway, and how did they make the connection? They didn't wake up one morning knowing that you have a partner at one address handling motor parts, and a father in law selling the parts at another address, and you at yet another address. You know how that usually gets connected? Someone tells them! Has someone got a reason to want to say this about you - perhaps someone you have fallen out with? Or someone who knows the whole family who had been fallen out with?

I have worked for my employer for 4 years

i was unaware items have gone missing and they have based the investigation on information they have gained threw hacking of ebay account and linked me by being in a relationship with father in laws daughter the account holder on ebay

apart from that these nothing linking me with my father in laws business i work for a car/van auction company my father in law is a motor trader who sells vehicles and also strips and sells parts which my partner advertises sells posts and receives returns on behalf of my father in law on his ebay account registered in his name his address were i have no links or ties except for being with my partner

Edited by honeybee13
Spacing.

My father in law is known buy our local branch as he is registered with a traders card and has bought vehicles from my local branch

i must add i dont work at thelocal branch iam field based i dont think my regional manager was aware my father in law is in the trade or registered with our company and reason my partner sells her address for him is so she can work from home make little money from home as her 2 children both have differing degrees of disabilitys

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

I'm sorry but I'm not going for the "espionage conspiracy theory" - hacking into eBay accounts and Facebook seems exceptionally unlikely. It simply isn't that easy to do, and it would be illegal. Why would an employer hire someone to carry out illegal activities in order to investigate an employee for alleged illegal activities? And how would they even know where to look if there is no connection between you and the seller? But if you believe that something illegal had transpired, then report it to the police. Just be sure that your employer had actually done what your are accusing them of, and that isn't just your guess, because once you make that allegation, there is no going back. It is still the case that the most common way employers get access to such information is that someone had given it to them.

Leaving that aside, your father in law has the receipts that prove he is selling his own goods that have been legitimately paid for? I presume that he requires these to prove his business is legitimate, in case he is ever questioned as to the source of his parts etc. And your partners income from the business is declared appropriately? These things will go a long way towards demonstrating that everything is above board.

Do you have access to vehicles and parts? How are those recorded - there must be some form of stock record?

And can you please explain exactly what the employer had given you as evidence - you've said that they have pictures and information, so how do you know this? It would help if you could explain exactly what had happened.

I think the op meant looking through eBay adverts and Facebook to find a connection rather than hacking the accounts.

For what I understand some parts have gone missing and the employer has found the same parts listed for sale on fil eBay shop.

the investigation company was logged into the account very in depth pictures taken that could only have been taken with account logged in ive been told this is illegal breach human rights act 8 or something and facebook wasnt just home screens was in depth and thats were the obtained picture of children and copied with comments that me and partner has saying

I think the op meant looking through eBay adverts and Facebook to find a connection rather than hacking the accounts.

For what I understand some parts have gone missing and the employer has found the same parts listed for sale on fil eBay shop.

Parts of this does sound like that, yes. That is why I would like some actual details about what has been said and done; and what evidence of the legitimacy of the parts sold there is. I agree that the eBay is most likely a result of finding the parts on eBay rather than "hacking" the site, which I find hard to believe - although I understand that Trading Standards do have some form of access to personal information where fraud or theft is involved. Not sure exactly how it works, but I have heard of this happening. But the OP also say that they have access to his Facebook site which is set to privacy modes.

And I have to be honest - if the employer has found parts missing and "the same" parts being sold by a relative on eBay, he needs some evidence that the father in law legitimately owns those parts. I have to believe the op when he says he hasn't stolen anything. But the scant information we have here makes it look exceedingly like he has. So we need something more than saying he is innocent to help him look for a defence.

I still have to wonder about there being a "friend" behind this. That would account for the Facebook aspect, and quite likely informing the employer about the connections in the first place. I mean, surely there are hundreds of Kia 2009 rear brake calipers on ebay??? Or whatever? How could anyone simply skim the site and go "I bet that's the one we are missing"? They pretty much all look alike!

I'm inclined the think that there is more to this. But right now it does not look good for the op. The business appears to have parts missing. The op's partner is selling car parts. That is certainly enough reasonable belief to justify a dismissal.

So come on stirlinghalsall - give us something to work with! Forget about alleged hacking etc - what can prove that your partner is selling parts for your father in law and that he obtained those parts legally?

the investigation company was logged into the account very in depth pictures taken that could only have been taken with account logged in ive been told this is illegal breach human rights act 8 or something and facebook wasnt just home screens was in depth and thats were the obtained picture of children and copied with comments that me and partner has saying

I'm sorry - (a) prove it and (b) so what? If, and I stress IF, they had someone hack your account, that does not prove that you are innocent of theft!

Could you please answer the questions I asked before. Does your father in law have accounts and receipts to prove that the items on sale or sold are his? Has your partner declared her income from this work? If everything is above board, this would go a long way to proving your innocence.

My father in law deals mainly in renault vehicles he asked his daughter to sell parts on his behalf because his ex partner was skimming the profits no longer trusted her so he thought he was doing his daughter a favour the big parts eg engines and gearbox he sell to polish contact who buys engines in bulk and exports wheels and tyres to local breakers yard who has a tyre company in grounds wiring and batteries weigh in also weigh in shell and any items like lights radios sat nav sd cards hands free kits ecus my partner would advertise and sell but mainly break vans because of deal with polish

what other info do you need as what i told you is evidence they have and they asked me questions and what i said during post is my replys

My father in law deals mainly in renault vehicles he asked his daughter to sell parts on his behalf because his ex partner was skimming the profits no longer trusted her so he thought he was doing his daughter a favour the big parts eg engines and gearbox he sell to polish contact who buys engines in bulk and exports wheels and tyres to local breakers yard who has a tyre company in grounds wiring and batteries weigh in also weigh in shell and any items like lights radios sat nav sd cards hands free kits ecus my partner would advertise and sell but mainly break vans because of deal with polish

what other info do you need as what i told you is evidence they have and they asked me questions and what i said during post is my replys

Does your father in law have accounts and receipts to prove that he obtained the parts he/your partner has sold legitimately?

Has your partners declared her income?

Polish contracts and business, or whether the former partner was trustworthy or not, aren't the issues here - what has been sold on eBay is.

We need you to explain exactly what has been said to you by the employer. Photographs of your children hardly prove that you are a thief. And that seems to be the thing you have spent most time talking about! You may be very upset about them having your personal photographs and accusing you of theft - but please, just answer the questions for now?

yes my father in law buys some of the vehicles at one of the auction branches and all the invoices of parts sold on ebay thats his record ebay is in his name registered to him

I'm sorry. I'm not sure that I am understanding your answer as being to the question I asked you. And it definitely doesn't answer one of my questions. I understand that this is difficult for you. And would I be correct in guessing that you have some literacy problems, because it is very difficult for me to understand your posts - dyslexia perhaps? Your posts simply run on one word after another so I cannot easily work out where one thought stops and another begins. Might you think about getting your partner to help you answer the questions so that we can help you better?

We have established that your father in law buys some of his parts from one of the auction branches of the company that you work at. But that isn't really the issue, because the employer knows that he buys from there - so they know that those vehicles and parts are not stolen because they have records to show them being bought.

Are you saying that he has invoices from the seller of the cars (whoever that is) to show that every part he sells on eBay is his part and that he bought all of them? I cannot tell whether you are saying that, or whether you are saying he has invoices for all the parts he sells on eBay.

And I didn't ask you whether eBay is registered to him. I asked you whether your partner has declared the income she is making from this?

--------------

Let me try to explain this. The employer doesn't have to prove that you have stolen the parts. This isn't a court of law, and the evidence that a court is required to have doesn't apply for employers. What the law says is that the employer must be able to form a reasonable belief that you are guilty. That is not the same thing as you actually being guilty at all. All they have to be able to do, for a dismissal to be fair, is show that it looks like you are guilty. And that most people would understand that it looks like you are guilty. Obviously, that is a simple explanation of what the law says, but it is relatively accurate.

Now I don't know for a fact what the employer thinks they have as evidence. So I am making this up, right? But it is absolutely based on what you have said here, with a few guesses added in. But those guesses are based on years and years of doing these sorts of cases, so they won't be bad guesses.

Tony B., is a bloke you know. He's annoyed with you because of something you said or did that you don't even remember. You don't know he's annoyed with you - you think he's a mate. And because he's a mate, he has access to your Facebook pages. Because he's a mate he knows all about your partner selling parts and about what her dad does for a living. So he's told the employer about all of this, given them copies of your Facebook pages and told them where her dads eBay site is. He told them you are stealing the parts from work.

Now the employer has been told that Tony B is someone who knows you well, and he's an honest person and doesn't feel he can cover up for these thefts he knows about. They have an employee whose partner is selling parts that he has stolen from the company, and pretending that it's dads company just to cover it up. It's obvious that there's more money in the house than your wages because on those Facebook pages the kids have toys/holidays/whatever that the employer knows for a fact your couldn't afford. That's what your mate showed them on the Facebook site.

That's something like the sort of thing they believe. And I want to be very clear - it is entirely reasonable for them to believe that. That doesn't mean I think it is true and you are a thief. But I can see how the employer got there, and if they are honest, anyone reading this will also see how the employer got there.

So what I am trying to do is find out from you exactly what they employer has said to you. So I am not interested in whether they have Facebook pages and passed them around or not. I don't care whether they hacked into an account or not. Not right now. What I want to know is exactly what they have said to you. What questions have they asked? What did they say when they showed you the sites? What did they say? As much of it as possible.

And then I want to know whether your father in law can show that the parts sold on eBay tie up to vehicles he has bought. So that means that he has a receipt for every part he has sold, or for the vehicle it came from. If I was to pick one part that was sold, and ask him to show me these, he could do that - tell me where he bought it, show me the receipt, and show me money going out of his bank account. And then he could show me the invoice to the person who bought it, and the money coming in to his account? Because if he has all that, that would be powerful evidence for you.

Then, your partners place in all this. She is being paid for selling the parts - what exactly does she do? She just sends and receives them? So how does she get money for doing this? Who pays her? Or does money go into her account somehow? Then, does she declare this income? I've asked you that several times now. Because if she is declaring the money she is earning that is very, very powerful evidence that everything is above board and honest. But if she hasn't, that leaves a lot of questions about her honesty - and by implication, about your honesty.

Even worse, possibly, if she is claiming any means tested benefits, because however this has come to light, your employer won't know about benefits claimed, but they or anybody else (like the person I suspect who told them) could report her for fraud. You don't have to know someone has benefits to report them and it's likely it would be investigated to see whether she has benefits that would be affected by earnings.

What things look like shouldn't matter. You shouldn't have to prove that you are innocent. But this is the real world, and you do have to prove your are innocent. Or, at least, be able to produce enough evidence to cast serious doubt on you being guilty.

Do you understand what I am saying, and why the questions I am asking are so important?