Elderly parents Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Link to the letters you require...sooner you get them sent off the sooner your parents start to save money.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?405-Debt-Collection

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ok Thank you dx and everyone, I am very grateful for all your help. One last question, are any of the credit cards I've listed connected to Nat West bank in any way. They have a one which I'm hoping they can use.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

No...none are connected to Nat West...but be careful with your mothers...unless you intend ditching her current account also ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 6 months later...

Hi

i'm not sure if I should start a new thread or continue on this one?

Re the above my Father went bankrupt in the end which went ok ish, he is devastated that it got to that.

We have one slight problem though, my Mum and Dad had a joint account which is overdrawn,

obviously the bankruptcy didn't deal with this as it has now fallen to my Mum to pay off.

It's around £2500 which she doesn't have.

She has some credit cards of her own and she manages these just so has no spare income.

I am looking for some advice as to what we do next please?

Is the account still active or closed ?

Any interest or charges still being added ?

What is happening regarding this debt e.g is it being chased ?

Does your Mum have a new sole account elsewhere ?

Does your Mum own any assets in her name e.g house ?

Does your Mum have any other debts ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi thanks for your quick response.

I think the account is open as they keep sending statements through although they don't use it.

I am fairly sure that interest is still being added.

My mum is not actually being chased for the outstanding amount they just get monthly statements.

My mother has a bank account with the halifax which is her account she uses and a barclays account which she doesn't.

She has no assets and yes she has credit card debts which she can just about manage.

Can't see the point in allowing the Bank to keep the account open, while they continue to add interest and possibly charges.

Your Mum and Dad should speak to the Bank about their current position, so they can consider what to do.

Perhaps they close the account, with interest and charges taken off possibly backdated leaving a debt which can then be negotiated on.

If your Mum has accounts elsewhere to receive income and pay bills, then she has no need of the overdrawn account.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread